UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2022, 6:25 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default 1960 Spencer-West Slim TV.

From the Wireless and Electrical Trader magazine. A TV set I've never seen before. I always believed the Spencer-West 180 series were the last TV sets made by the Great Yarmouth company.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spencer_West_110_Degree_TV_1.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	268368  
Old 19th Nov 2022, 6:38 pm   #2
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: 1960 Spencer-West Slim TV.

Thats an odd-looking set with that mask, and the screen on the right! I'd be very interested to see actual photos of one.

I doubt very many exist now, if any. I wonder how well they sold..
Old 19th Nov 2022, 6:39 pm   #3
newlite4
Octode

1960 seemed to signal a turning point in TV design where manufacturers sensed a demand for ever more slim-line sets typified by sets such as the Sobell T279. The development of the 110 degree CRT in 1959 along with clever cabinet design led to exceptionally slim sets.
Neil
Old 19th Nov 2022, 6:41 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I may be the only Forum Member to have visited their factory, way back in 1958. It was all a bit ramshackle and my expectation of seeing some kind of "Assembly Line" was completely shattered. It was hard to believe that TV's could ever come out of there! I do not remember this model referred to here, but I did see their compact portables being made.
Old 19th Nov 2022, 8:03 pm   #5
thermionic
Heptode

Hello Edward.

That is very interesting, as I have one of the 957 portables here to restore (one day). I would be fascinated to learn your experiences of their construction.

When I get around to restoring ( or trying) to get the set up & running I intend to write it up as a prospective article for the BVWS ‘Bulletin’

Please contact me by PM if you prefer.

Many thanks.

SimonT.
Old 19th Nov 2022, 8:34 pm   #6
Colourstar
Octode

Love the look of that Spencer West! The introduction of the 110 degree crts marked the start of one of my favourite periods of tv design. It certainly seemed to inspire a great deal of creativity on the drawing boards of designers, coming up with some very attractive slimline sets at the dawn of the 1960s, like the Ferguson 606T 'Golden Glide' and GEC BT302 series amongst others.

Steve
Old 19th Nov 2022, 11:26 pm   #7
FERNSEH
Dekatron

This set would have been an excellent proposition for a rental company.
The makers claim the whole chassis assembly can be replaced in a matter of a few minutes by relatively unskilled service engineers.
The chassis layout looks well ordered, unusual to have the user controls on the left side of the cabinet, although Philips did the same with the 1768U series.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spencer_West_110_Degree_TV.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	268383  
Old 20th Nov 2022, 9:52 am   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The introduction of the 110degree short neck CRT produced some really nice cabinet designs. Obviously some you like others not so much but still lots of creativity.

Not too convinced about the success of swapping out the entire chassis for every fault, unless it was used for only those jobs that required bench work. The advert is not worded that way though.
Old 20th Nov 2022, 12:44 pm   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have never seen one of those David.
Shame about Spencer West. They were very strong in pre amplifiers, Band 3 converters, channel converters and a clever little type 54 pattern removal unit used to remove the BBC signal from the Band 3 aerial lead, the presence of which caused heavy patterning on the picture when aerial converters were used with the early BBC only receivers.

They entered TV production far too late just as the turn down started, and were by far too small to compete with the big boys. John.
Old 20th Nov 2022, 5:30 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
This set would have been an excellent proposition for a rental company.
The makers claim the whole chassis assembly can be replaced in a matter of a few minutes by relatively unskilled service engineers.
The chassis layout looks well ordered, unusual to have the user controls on the left side of the cabinet, although Philips did the same with the 1768U series.

DFWB.
Pragmatically though, a smart rental-company would have insisted that its suppliers produced TVs that were reliable-enough-not-to-need-servicing, rather than putting a premium on ease-of-service.

And the rental-companies were in an ideal position to both collect the reliability statistics, and use them to belabour/financially-penalise the suppliers of TV chassis that had a higher-than-expected need for service!

Don't design or buy for ease-of-serviceability, design so you can fire your service-technicians!
Old 20th Nov 2022, 5:55 pm   #11
greg_simons
Octode

Now that's a name from the far distant past!, by the time i entered the trade in 69 they were long gone, a few survivors did appear on my bench for repair though, thanks for the memory jog.
Greg.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 1:20 pm   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Most rental companies did not want receivers that were TOO reliable. If it never broke down there would be little point in renting. A curtesy call now and then did a lot for customer relations. Ease of house service was very important and models that were a nightmare of wires and loose ends were generally passed by. Worse still the unpredictable.
John.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 1:48 pm   #13
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The Thorn B/W sets were very easy and predictable to service, probably due to Thorns vast rental base. I’ve virtually no experience with their colour sets but would expect the same once familiar with the designs.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 2:00 pm   #14
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Most rental companies did not want receivers that were TOO reliable. If it never broke down there would be little point in renting. A curtesy call now and then did a lot for customer relations. Ease of house service was very important and models that were a nightmare of wires and loose ends were generally passed by. Worse still the unpredictable.
John.
Hi John, absolutely correct. No service calls would cause the rental customer to think about buying a TV set. "Why am I paying rental when no service is required, and it will be likely it'll be same if I bought my set".
TV rental companies were happy with one or two service calls per year.
A courtesy call often saved a rental contract termination.

The attachment shows an advertisement from the 1958 Practical Television magazine.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spencer_West_Ad_PT_1958.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	268486  
Closed Thread