UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2022, 1:59 pm   #1
x72
Tetrode

Default Lancaster Bomber Cockpit replica

I could not find reference to this on this site. If it has been mentioned, mods, please edit as required.

Extract from the listing: "Lancaster Bomber Cockpit, an exact full-size replica of a Lancaster Bomber cockpit section, handmade by the vendor – fitted with all the correct WW2 equipment, the major equipment being in working condition."

I'm not sure how long this link will be valid but it looks like an amazing project and fantastic result.
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...b-af4600dcd6d0
Old 15th Nov 2022, 2:19 pm   #2
Kentode
Octode

Default Re: Lancaster Bomber Cockpit replica

Incredible! Words fail me...

BVWS member
Old 15th Nov 2022, 2:27 pm   #3
deliverance
Heptode

That's amazing such detail I wonder how long it took to build it.
Old 15th Nov 2022, 4:48 pm   #4
Pamphonica
Nonode

That is jaw-droppingly wonderful! Even the authentic beats of the 4 engines are present. I am in awe of anyone who can achieve this level of re-creation.
I can't help noticing that the canopy is higher than the garage door opening. Interesting to remove?
-Jeremy
Old 15th Nov 2022, 5:06 pm   #5
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

That is amazing!
Old 15th Nov 2022, 6:31 pm   #6
The General
Hexode

I've seen it as Pitstone Green Museum isn't far from me - the museum is well worth a visit but it's only open a few weekends in the year. I've sat in the pilot's seat & can confirm it looks as good close up as it does in the photos.
Mark
Old 15th Nov 2022, 6:43 pm   #7
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Wow! I can see a lot of work and close attention to detail has gone into the making of that, truly fantastic. I hope it goes to a good home!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 15th Nov 2022, 6:56 pm   #8
Vintage Engr
Heptode

That is just so incredible.
As many of you know, I live completely 'out-in-the- sticks' & so my nearest neighbour is about half a mile away across a field. Although I've lived here for over 20 years, we never really saw our neighbour. When by luck we met up a few years ago, I found out that he'd got a Lancaster control column is one of his sheds.. Then there was more, so of course I had to show him my T1154 & R155 etc.

It turns out that he's a complete Lancaster aficionado, but the video of that cockpit simply blows ones' mind!

I'll have to show my neighbour, maybe he'll bid....

David.
Old 15th Nov 2022, 8:23 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Stunning. Time to put the house up for sale!
Old 15th Nov 2022, 9:04 pm   #10
G4XWDJim
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
I've seen it as Pitstone Green Museum isn't far from me - the museum is well worth a visit but it's only open a few weekends in the year
Mark
This featured on the front cover of Radio Bygones many years ago.

Jim
Old 15th Nov 2022, 9:18 pm   #11
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Folks, there was a forum member who was building a replica of the wireless operators position. This was a few years ago and he lived at the top end of Weardale. Not sure if it was ever completed. His reasons for the build was that his father had designed the Lancaster WO training cabin as used at training bases.
Not sure if he is still on the forum, but this unit is way above anything else

Ed
Old 15th Nov 2022, 10:56 pm   #12
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

There are a number of other Lancaster front fuselage replicas either in existence, such as at the Avro Heritage Museum, or being built, for example by Malcolm Goosey at the Boscombe Down Aviation Collection.

Andy
Old 15th Nov 2022, 11:03 pm   #13
Richard_FM
Nonode

I've been in the replica cockpit at the Avro Heritage Museum, quite a tight fit to get it, which makes me wonder what it would have been like when in flight.
Old 16th Nov 2022, 12:16 am   #14
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi

Don't forget the (spacious) Stirling front fuselage. That is being built to flight standard and there are no Stirlings around to copy from (except for 'substantial fragments'). They have an actual front turret!

Same radio stuff though...

Cheers
James
Old 16th Nov 2022, 9:25 am   #15
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

The Wireless Operators position replica is at Chalk Pits Museum.
Old 16th Nov 2022, 10:12 am   #16
The Philpott
Dekatron

One of the best things about this is the physicality of getting out of a stricken Lanc in flight can be fully appreciated. Even when things were going well banged heads and elbows were an accepted hazard- a major factor was that colossal wingspar which was effectively the backbone of the bomber (although lateral!) The first time a Lanc test flew with a dummy grand-slam viewers on the ground were convinced it wasn't going to make it back- the wings were so arched in dihedral. Scary stuff. Talking of scary stuff, the 36% fees are quite frightening.

Sound simulation of such analogue noises is always problematic- once you've heard it for real and felt it through your feet nothing simulated is QUITE going to match up- but i agree this construction is incredible. I can't tell the difference between displays for fishpond, h2s, etc, but i imagine they are all there.

Bale out survival rates for the Halifax (and possibly Stirling) were better- Lanc crews in their cramped fuselages paid the price for pure tons of bombs carried per aircraft flown.

Dave
Old 16th Nov 2022, 1:09 pm   #17
Chrispy57
Hexode

Very nice - I was going to leave a bid but flicking through the photos of the cockpit I realised that it was the left-hand drive version!
Old 19th Nov 2022, 10:56 pm   #18
trh01uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by x72 View Post
I could not find reference to this on this site. If it has been mentioned, mods, please edit as required.

Extract from the listing: "Lancaster Bomber Cockpit, an exact full-size replica of a Lancaster Bomber cockpit section, handmade by the vendor – fitted with all the correct WW2 equipment, the major equipment being in working condition."

I'm not sure how long this link will be valid but it looks like an amazing project and fantastic result.
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...b-af4600dcd6d0

It is a fantastic result. As far as I am aware it outclasses all other attempts at this, including the more public one that the IWM had (at Duxford I think). I believe the R1155/T1154 was activiated occasionally too, whenever a suitable radio amateur operator could be found.

The most amazing part of the restoration is the fully simulated H2S. Few people on here will appreciate the time and skill applied to get the result Norman has achieved - and of course the system parts are now super-rare, and extremely expensive if you can find them at all. (Think of prices in £000s).

Richard
Old 20th Nov 2022, 8:24 am   #19
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Hi All,

This discussion has reminded me of a (fictional) book I read several years ago, in which one of the characters builds a Lanc front end replica in his spare bedroom, complete with sound track. I still have the book and will have a re-read of the chapter where a mission over Germany is "flown". Out of interest, it's called "To The Burning City" and was written by Alan Gould, published by Minerva in 1993.

Roger
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 5:59 pm   #20
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

The start bid has been reduced to £5, from £80K!

Roger/G3VKM
Closed Thread