UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2022, 11:09 am   #1
Leanoric
Triode

Default VCR service needed?

Hi all, I'm wanting to convert some of my old camcorder and vhs tapes to digital, so I've dug out my old vcr from the wardrobe it's been kept in for the last 16/17 years.

It's a Hitachi VT-MX910EUK, bought in the early 2000's if I remember correctly, so not too ancient a vcr.

Just wondering if there is anything essential that I should do service wise before putting any tapes into it?

I don't really want to do anything that I don't need to as my track record when tinkering with electronics isn't great and I really don't want to risk breaking it but if there's anything that has to be lubricated or cleaned etc for it to function properly then I'll give it a go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 28th Oct 2022, 11:29 am   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: VCR service needed?

Check rubber belts if fitted as a priority.
Old 28th Oct 2022, 11:31 am   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

This is Philips turbo deck machine.

They aren't a bad deck, but standing won't help. Open it up and have a look. Obvious places to look are for a hardened pinch roller and the loading belt at the rear right of the deck. The big problem with these is the worm gear that runs from this motor via a long shaft can (and does!) crack. It can be glued, but it does tend to sound like a tractor when loading. Replacements might be available. Symptom is obvious - motor spins but nothing doing which looks like a worn belt.

They are a bit fiddly to take to bits, so hopefully you won't have to.

Electronically pretty good, though I'd get it nice and warm before applying power. As it's a single board, the whole cabinet needs to come off to do any significant work. Easy if you've done hundreds, not quite if it's your first! You'll need two Torx drivers (T10 and T15) to get in there.

Elektrotanya have the manual if you need it.

Do check your tapes are free of the dreaded white mould before you go. And, usual advice - use a good but possibly sacrificial tape to try before risking your precious ones.

Hope I haven't scared you - it probably will just work!
Old 28th Oct 2022, 11:52 am   #4
Leanoric
Triode

Ok thanks for the tips, I’ll open it up and check everything's ok.

Is there anything that needs to be lubricated before using it?
Old 28th Oct 2022, 12:57 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

Agree totally with Glyn. The rubber pinch roller - right hand side of machine on a raised plastic 'tower' - if it is the original, is likely hard as a rock! This will crease tape.

Look to the right of the head drum. If there is a small (4mm or so) round rubber/plastic wheel that looks a bit orange (or maybe grey), remove it - this is the 'auto head cleaner' , a gimmick which can wreck the heads.

These machines tend to be quite reliable once the few common problems are attended to.

Definitely try it out with a sacrificial tape first.
Do not oil!
Old 28th Oct 2022, 2:15 pm   #6
Leanoric
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Agree totally with Glyn. The rubber pinch roller - right hand side of machine on a raised plastic 'tower' - if it is the original, is likely hard as a rock! This will crease tape.

Look to the right of the head drum. If there is a small (4mm or so) round rubber/plastic wheel that looks a bit orange (or maybe grey), remove it - this is the 'auto head cleaner' , a gimmick which can wreck the heads.

These machines tend to be quite reliable once the few common problems are attended to.

Definitely try it out with a sacrificial tape first.
Do not oil!
Everything seems to look fine so far including the rubber pinch roller.

Have I circled the auto head cleaner? Is there a method for removing it or do I just pull it off and leave the white plastic arm that holds it be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	672C1F6F-B031-4366-B5C6-49058AF7E34A.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	267037  
Old 28th Oct 2022, 2:29 pm   #7
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Yes that's the auto head cleaner. Just remove the entire assembly including the plastic arm. I had a Philips turbo deck just like this one and it was constantly clogging up heads due to that auto head cleaner.

Fivos
Old 28th Oct 2022, 2:29 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

That's the beast! It can be eased off together with the plastic lever. It can be safely consigned to the bin. (crossed with Fivos)

It's not too difficult to remove the pinchroller to have a closer look - it sort of swivels against the spring and pops off as one unit. Philips used to supply the whole gubbins, but now you have to be content with just changing the roller if necessary.

Once you've got it off, see if it's still slightly spongy. If it is, a good clean is all it needs. Various proprietry cleaners are available, but domestic ones such as Elbow Grease do work. IPA can harden it, so maybe that's a bit strong.

As it's a low mileage machine I would think it's going to run true. As a test, put it back in and run a tape through the machine in picture search and keep a close eye on the pinchroller to see if it deviates from the straight and narrow.
Old 28th Oct 2022, 3:02 pm   #9
ben
Dekatron

You can probably give the roller the 'pinch-pinch test! If you're worried about removing it.
Old 28th Oct 2022, 9:05 pm   #10
Leanoric
Triode

I’ve checked the pinch roller and it seems fine to me, I didnt remove it to check but I can feel that it is slightly spongy.

I’m not having much luck with removing the the auto head cleaner though. When I pull the plastic arm upwards, it moves up a mm or two and then no further. Im pulling pretty hard but it feels like there is something stopping it. Any ideas?
Old 29th Oct 2022, 5:18 am   #11
its ur aerial
Hexode

I had forgotten about Auto Head Cleaners First thing we ever did was, pull them off and bin them.

Ken G6HZG.
Old 29th Oct 2022, 11:54 am   #12
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I think there's a plastic 'claw' holding it down. Concentrate on where it pivots - close inspection should reveal all.
Old 29th Oct 2022, 2:28 pm   #13
Leanoric
Triode

Auto head cleaner now removed and vcr seems to work ok. The picture is a bit snowy here and there but not too bad at all, I used copy paper to clean the heads, maybe I should of waited and got some chamois swabs. It might just be the age of the tapes?

Anyway thanks for the all the advice guys.
Old 30th Oct 2022, 12:57 pm   #14
DianeDavies
Tetrode

might I suggest running a tape you aren't precious about in forwards and backwards...one of our old VCRs only does forward normal speed and back fast rewind, you can't shuffle! Fine if you are going for straight transfer but not if you want to be selective!
Old 31st Oct 2022, 12:18 pm   #15
Leanoric
Triode

Well, I was 25 mins through converting one of my tapes when I lost video signal on obs and I could hear a bit of noise from the vcr. I ejected the tape and as you can see from the photo it has been pinched? I played a few tapes last night although not for that long and there was no pinching so Im not sure if the tape was previously damaged years ago or not.

Is there anything I can do with that tape now? Its old family footage so I want to salvage if possible.

What about the vcr, would you risk anymore tapes in it?

If I open up the vcr, is there anything visible to look out for that could have done this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD49B604-C473-4D13-AD6D-A607F7521792.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	267212  

Last edited by Leanoric; 31st Oct 2022 at 12:35 pm. Reason: Forgot to add photo
Old 31st Oct 2022, 12:51 pm   #16
Leanoric
Triode

Forgot to say that when I ejected the cassette, the tape wasnt stuck in the machine, it was inside the cassette as normal. Not sure if this indicates it was previously damaged in another vcr or not?
Old 31st Oct 2022, 1:11 pm   #17
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I think your idea that it was previously damaged is correct as it does look like it's been been trapped.
I'd have a close look at the tapes to see if they have any of the dreaded 'white mould' on them - you can see it by looking through the windows. If it has, then consider how valuable the tape is to you.
Run a few tapes through the machine - ones that you don't mind losing - to satisfy yourself the machine is OK.
As to the damaged tape, you could always wind it on by hand a little then carry on copying. You need a pencil to unlock the spools first. I'd wait till you're happy the machine is OK first though.
Old 31st Oct 2022, 1:27 pm   #18
Leanoric
Triode

I have been checking for mould and havent seen any yet. Ill run a few dispensable tapes through it like you say and make sure there is no more problems. To be honest, I should have done that first and not been so eager to digitise the ones that are valuable to me. Thanks for the advice.
Old 31st Oct 2022, 1:52 pm   #19
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Just a point, when you have copied the tapes to DVD etc, do not dispose of original media.
Old 1st Nov 2022, 8:56 pm   #20
ben
Dekatron

That wrinkled tape suggests it has been caught up in a dodgy deck in the past. One thing that is a real nuisance when that happens is that the loose tape can pick up grease off the deck mechanism, which then gets onto the internal cassette guides and even adjacent tape layers. That section will of course clog the heads if played.

Definitely spool it on a bit before reinserting. Be aware that upon insertion, many decks wind the tape a few feet to pick up the time code for the counter, so be sure to wind it on good a bit by hand.
Closed Thread