UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2022, 4:42 pm   #1
Boucaneer
Diode

Default Belling Champion 92A 1st/2nd switch Watt settings question please?

Hello Chaps, I have been enjoying reading about the history of the Belling Champion range, posted by members here in 2012 and 2016.

I do have a question if you may be able the help shed a little light on, excuse the pun.

I have a Belling Champion 92A, most likely a latter model as it has a red sheet metal top and a red cast iron base plate.

When I plug it in, the heat is directly on, and the switch seems to give two setting a, the lower setting being 1500w in the Full On setting giving a glowing red element inside.

My question is, when the switch is in the raised/upper position and lower setting, how many Watts is the heater set to please?

I am assuming that it may be 750 watts, but that is merely an assumption on my behalf.

Perhaps some of the enthusiasts here may have a better idea regarding the lower watt setting upon the Belling Champion 92A electrical heater please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76E4CE3F-1034-41F3-BDD3-26A0F40707D9.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	268844   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA75CFF1-CC4E-4F84-8C1B-4EA3DC7AC74B.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	268845   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCE9F446-16DD-436E-A959-E50CDE589247.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	268846  
Old 27th Nov 2022, 5:25 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Belling Champion 92A 1st/2nd switch Watt settings question please?

Definitely 750W (plus the bulb, I presume). All the Champion models with switches have permanently-on and switched elements of equal wattage: so if there's one switch the lower heat option uses ½ of full power, if there are two switches (models 3 and 83) the options are 1/3 and 2/3.

Yours will be quite a late one, the finish with red top and base is shown as an option in a 1958-9 Belling catalogue I have here. I don't see it very often and I can only remember seeing it before on the smaller model 91A.

Paul
Old 28th Nov 2022, 12:16 am   #3
hamid_1
Heptode

Correct - there are two 750 watt elements. When the switch is down (Full On) both elements are used, total 750+750=1500W. When the switch is up, only one element is used, 750W plus the wattage of the bulb, in both cases. It's not possible to turn the heater off completely using the Full On switch; you have to unplug it or switch off at the wall socket.

Exact power consumption will vary slightly, depending on your mains voltage. If you have a 'smart' electricity meter, you can see the exact usage.

A word of warning - the elements are not supposed to glow. The coils appear black even when in use. That's why there's a light bulb to indicate it's powered on. If one of the coiled elements starts glowing red hot, either the air flow is blocked by dust and dirt or there's a partial short-circuit, or perhaps your mains voltage is too high.
Old 30th Nov 2022, 2:53 pm   #4
Boucaneer
Diode

Thank you Paul and Hamid for that information. It is greatly appreciated.

I will look into finding that partial short circuit within the heater. It has been rewired with modernish white cable with a blue ( live ) brown and yellow earth.

I hope I may be able to fathom out where problem may lay with the wiring system.

Thank you for your help. 👍

I would also like to add, fortunately both coil elements seem to glow red on the 1500w setting, and remain dark upon the 750w setting.

Thank you.
Old 3rd Dec 2022, 11:15 am   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

It is very odd about the glow - even in a darkened room there's nothing visible at all from the elements in the Champions here. Do you have a multimeter you can use to check the resistance of the heater when it's cold? I've a new and boxed 92A here - never had a plug on - which is showing 46 and 29 ohms according to the switch position, while the old No.2 we're using in the library shows 49 and 30.

Paul
Old 3rd Dec 2022, 3:56 pm   #6
Brigham
Octode

I've never seen a pink-top 92A, either in the catalogue or in real life.
Just when you think you've seen everything...
Old 3rd Dec 2022, 4:02 pm   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Well, there could even be a pink-top 83A out there somewhere: the 1958-9 catalogue has 91A, 92A and 83A and says "Finish: silver bronze or silver grey and red" apparently for them all, though the illustrations are just of a grey-and-red 91A and the other two models in full bronze.
Old 9th Dec 2022, 10:15 pm   #8
Boucaneer
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
It is very odd about the glow - even in a darkened room there's nothing visible at all from the elements in the Champions here. Do you have a multimeter you can use to check the resistance of the heater when it's cold? I've a new and boxed 92A here - never had a plug on - which is showing 46 and 29 ohms according to the switch position, while the old No.2 we're using in the library shows 49 and 30.

Paul
Thank you for the enquiry Paul.

I have cleaned the entire inside out with a soft artists paintbrush as I had not condensed air. I removed all the dust which was quite thick in some places and now the coil/element in the 1500 watt setting does not glow red and remains a dark/black colour.

It must of been lack of ventilation causing the overheating of the element, which is fortunate as I was slightly overwhelmed by the thought of a rewireing project of the Belling Champion 92A.

It is now rapidly heating my bathroom for me.

Thank you to all for the suggestions and support. 👍
Closed Thread