UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2022, 4:12 am   #1
joeyd3119
Diode

Default Creed Teleprinter Model 75

Greetings all!,

As the title implies I'm looking for parts/bits for a Creed Model 75 teleprinter.
I was gifted the above machine but its missing the power cord
a 3 pin circular connector. And the data/input connector a 25 pin circular connector. Wondered if anyone in this forum was familiar with the above machine and what the connectors are called and where to source them.
(I would require shipping to the USA!)

Not as important parts wanted: (Except for ones hearing! LOL!)
The sound cover and the keyboard cover the machine is a naked skeleton.

Most of my collection is US made with some German and Soviet machines for good measure. This one is my first British machine! So any help on sourcing Bits, Books ect for it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers
JD
Old 11th Oct 2022, 7:44 am   #2
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Default Re: Creed Teleprinter Model 75

There is part 1 of a manual here

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor...ual_part_1.pdf

Maybe add a photo of the required connector on the machine?

Fred
Old 11th Oct 2022, 10:43 am   #3
Andrew Sinclair
Pentode

The connectors are Plessey MkIV. They were very widely used in UK military/aviation equipment. They can be bought new from FC Lane, or via ebay.
The Royal Navy used these machines extensively from the early 1960s to the mid 1980s. They were being replaced at the time of the Falklands war in 1982.
Old 11th Oct 2022, 4:21 pm   #4
joeyd3119
Diode

Thanks All,
From the info supplied by Andrew I was able to source the two connectors 7 quid for the 25 pin and 29 quid on the 3 pin (the 3 pin must be a national treasure LOL) still looking to see if I can source a cheaper 3 pin but it appears everyone has them in the 20+ pound range (sorry no pound sign on a US computer!!)

Dogy-Dx thanks for the link to Sam Hallas... Was able to download the manual for the mechanical portion of the machine but upon reading thru I discovered I also need the
APPENDIX "K" portion of the manual "Parallel Input (5-WIre) Version and its associated parts list and wiring diagramme. I sent an Email to Sam to see if may have any ideas on sourcing a copy. So..................

-----------------------------------------------
Still searching for the Noise cover/Keyboard cover and a copy of the Creed manual titled..APPENDIX "K" Parallel Input (5-WIre) Version (& Parts List and Wiring diagramme)
----------------------------------------------

Cheers
JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sinclair View Post
The connectors are Plessey MkIV. They were very widely used in UK military/aviation equipment. They can be bought new from FC Lane, or via ebay.
The Royal Navy used these machines extensively from the early 1960s to the mid 1980s. They were being replaced at the time of the Falklands war in 1982.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy-dxer View Post
There is part 1 of a manual here
http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor...ual_part_1.pdf
Maybe add a photo of the required connector on the machine?
Fred
Old 10th Nov 2022, 3:09 am   #5
joeyd3119
Diode

A bit of an update on the connectors.
The 25 pin connector I was able to source does not have the proper shell
to mate to the connector on the Creed.
I have a attached a photo of the 25 pin on the Creed in hopes to find the correct mating shell/connector for the machine.
Thanks all
JD

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...1&d=1668045952
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CREED75CONN.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	267785  
Old 10th Nov 2022, 10:21 am   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Creed Teleprinter Model 75

Hi,
I'm just curious.
Will the Creed work OK on 120 volts 60Hz?
Were they designed for dual voltage & frequency?
Good luck with it!
Cheers!
Old 11th Nov 2022, 10:45 am   #7
Andrew Sinclair
Pentode

I am not sure what connector you have purchased. Could you supply a picture please?
Note that the bakelite insert containing the sockets, can be fitted into the backshell several ways (I think 3?). There is a locking ring on the solder bucket side that can be removed with a special tool (or flat bladed pliers if careful), the insert can then be driven out and rotated to give different polarisations. This applies to the chassis and the cable mounted connectors. This might solve your problem. Later versions of this connector had fixed polarisation.
Hope this makes sense!
Old 11th Nov 2022, 3:18 pm   #8
joeyd3119
Diode

Andrew,
What I purchased was the female version of what I already have a "bulkhead" connector so of course it will not mate to another bulkhead.
The one I purchased is not a flanged bulkhead its a threaded bulkhead but threaded on both ends and the retaining ring for the back threads was on the front which made it "appear" to be the correct connector when I bought it.
-------
Someone on BARTG sent me a link on "UK Ebay" to the correct connector that I need..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195395191778
But the seller does post to the USA...
So stuck again LOL the story of my life.
-------
As for removing the insert (your suggestion) I still need the shell (like the one in the ebay photo) that mates to the bulkhead portion.
-------
Thanks for the Reply!
Cheers
JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sinclair View Post
I am not sure what connector you have purchased. Could you supply a picture please?
Note that the bakelite insert containing the sockets, can be fitted into the backshell several ways (I think 3?). There is a locking ring on the solder bucket side that can be removed with a special tool (or flat bladed pliers if careful), the insert can then be driven out and rotated to give different polarisations. This applies to the chassis and the cable mounted connectors. This might solve your problem. Later versions of this connector had fixed polarisation.
Hope this makes sense!
Closed Thread