UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2022, 5:32 pm   #1
AndyL1952
Diode

Default Dialling Code Booklets

Can anyone help me please?
I am deparately trying to find a copy of the Local Dialling Codes from the Salisbury area. (or any exchange in the Salisbury area...)
Not the STD code pages - but local codes starting 7 or 8.

A scan of the local codes page would be fantastic!
Its in support of a talk I am giving in the autumn...

Thankyou!
Andrew.
Old 30th Aug 2022, 6:38 am   #2
brenellic2000
Octode

Default Re: Dialling Code Booklets

Do you mean 01722 72xxx Farley; 73xxx Middle Woodford; 74xxx Wilton; 77xx Coombe Bissett; 78xxx Broad Chalke; 79xxx Stapleford; 82xxx Salisbury
Old 30th Aug 2022, 11:30 am   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL1952 View Post
I am deparately trying to find a copy of the Local Dialling Codes from the Salisbury area. (or any exchange in the Salisbury area...)

Thankyou!
Andrew.
I have several hundred codebooks plus around 3000 scans of local code pages/dialling code cards gathered over the last 40+ years and used to build up my database of national and local dialling codes. The only Salisbury codebook I've got is one of the larger ones dated 1965 (Printers imprint is '5/1965'). It is the first edition as Salisbury hadn't got Subscriber Trunk Dialling at the end of March /65 when it had 1710 business lines and 2630 residential ines and a total number of 4504 lines. The difference of 164 lines is made up of 'service lines' ( i.e. public payphones, telephones in exchanges and Crown' post offices etc). By the end of March 1965 Subscriber Trn Dialling had been provided and another 57 business lines and 237 residential lines provided, and the number of service lines had dropped to 133 ! Salisbury was originally a CB12 manual exchange located in the post office and it went automatic between end of March 1937 and end of March 1938 by which time it had 1453 lines on it. The exchange was opened by the National Telephone Co circa 1898. I'll fish the codebook out and scan the relevant page.

Ian Jolly
Old 30th Aug 2022, 1:39 pm   #4
AndyL1952
Diode

Default Dialling Code Booklets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenellic2000 View Post
Do you mean 01722 72xxx Farley; 73xxx Middle Woodford; 74xxx Wilton; 77xx Coombe Bissett; 78xxx Broad Chalke; 79xxx Stapleford; 82xxx Salisbury

Thank for replying - yes indeed - thats what I'm looking for,
The local Dialling Codes for Salisbury exchange.

Andy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL1952 View Post

Thankyou!
Andrew.
I have several hundred codebooks plus around 3000 scans of local code pages/dialling code cards gathered over the last 40+ years and used to build up my database of national and local dialling codes. The only Salisbury codebook I've got is one of the larger ones dated 1965 (Printers imprint is '5/1965'). It is the first edition as Salisbury hadn't got Subscriber Trunk Dialling at the end of March /65 when it had 1710 business lines and 2630 residential ines and a total number of 4504 lines. The difference of 164 lines is made up of 'service lines' ( i.e. public payphones, telephones in exchanges and Crown' post offices etc). By the end of March 1965 Subscriber Trn Dialling had been provided and another 57 business lines and 237 residential lines provided, and the number of service lines had dropped to 133 ! Salisbury was originally a CB12 manual exchange located in the post office and it went automatic between end of March 1937 and end of March 1938 by which time it had 1453 lines on it. The exchange was opened by the National Telephone Co circa 1898. I'll fish the codebook out and scan the relevant page.

Ian Jolly
Thank you - that would be helpful.
I worked in Salisbury exchange (pre 2000) during my apprentiship.
Then moved on to XPG Repater Station.
Long time ago now.....

Andy
Old 30th Aug 2022, 11:35 pm   #5
Hermitcrab
Triode

Some of you may be familiar with the Code Card Project at http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor...rd_project.pdf
439 pages of dialling code goodness.
Unfortunately none of the Salisbury exchanges are included yet, but I thought I'd mention it for those who don't know about it.

Salisbury was one of the last exchange groups to be equipped with International Direct Dialling (IDD) which they didn't get until 1982, along with Campbeltown (Kintyre), and some Welsh exchanges such as Holyhead. I think about a dozen exchange groups still hadn't got IDD at the beginning of 1982, at the end of that year everyone in the UK had IDD.
Closed Thread