UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2021, 11:55 am   #1
Simondm
Pentode

Default Farnell D30 2T PSU - sticky push-buttons

It's a really useful PSU, but I am frustrated by the push-buttons, especially the mains switch. Whatever the BBC at Bush used to lubricate them (if anything) has gone very viscous, to the extent the mains one in particular (but also the two output switches) sometimes gets stuck.

I don't really want to remove them, and I've tried things like meths cautiously in the past to flush them a bit and it's helped.

I've tried disassembly with similar switches in the past, but it's never ended well - usually either little lugs broken off or 'hunt the ballbearing' on the floor.

So I don't want to break anything, and ideally not disassemble either, as it would be a major job too.

Is there a recommended method for dealing with them?

Thanks for any advice,

Simon.
Old 19th Dec 2021, 1:07 pm   #2
Chrispy57
Hexode

Default Re: Farnell D30 2T PSU - sticky push-buttons

Hi Simon,
in the absence of any better solution why not just leave the mains switch in the "on" position and switch the supply externally - (I also took the easy way out with my Philips PM5133 Function Generator!).

Cheers
Chris
Old 20th Dec 2021, 7:22 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I replaced the SW on my Farnell PSU though you could try a good squirt of sw cleaner or Bog forbid WD40.

Andy,
Old 20th Dec 2021, 12:53 pm   #4
Alistair D
Nonode

A few years ago Harry Leeming wrote an article in Practical Wireless about cleaning switches that did not respond well to normal switch cleaner.

What he described was a 3 stage process using WD40 then Iso Propyl alcohol then normal switch cleaner. He reckoned he had complete success using this method. I strongly suspect that using WD40 first dissolved any hardened grease, then the IPA removed any remaining WD40 deposits.

Since WD40 has been used, wrongly, as a switch cleaner in the past I see no reason not to give the switch a wash in it first.

Al