UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2021, 5:13 pm   #1
Radiogogo
Diode

Default PYE Cambridge P75 query

Hi, I've recently acquired a PYE Cambridge P75 (SN 609257) radio which works well.

Couple of questions, does anyone know if the turning dial has a light? Mine doesn't light up and was wondering if there is a bulb which lights up the display?

Also any advice on attaching an external antenna would be appreciated. It has a place on the back marked earth and antenna with two small holes behind the backboard for connections. Was there originally a plug which fitted these connections? Should I just put a wire in the antenna one? I can only pick up a couple of stations on MW with the internal antenna and it would be good to access a few more. Thanks for any help.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 7:44 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: PYE Cambridge P75 query

The Pye P75 does have dial lamps. Chances are the lamps have blown. 6.3V 0.3A approx 2 Watts.

Service info can be downloaded here:-

https://www.service-data.com/section.php/6656/1/p75

or here:-

https://www.service-data.com/section...to-972200-only.

Chances are the plugs for the aerial and earth sockets have long been lost and they're difficult to obtain nowadays. A couple of metres of wire with the end bent back over itself and pushed into the aerial socket should do the trick.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 8:39 pm   #3
agardiner
Octode

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Has this set been overhauled? The PYE P75 is an excellent performer and usually work fairly well with its built in aerial. Yes, an external piece of wire can make all the difference, but usually not really needed.

With the dial lamps not working as well, it soundS to me that the set could do with some TLC before any damage is done.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 10:20 pm   #4
Radiogogo
Diode

Thank you for the welcome to the club, links to the service manual download, bulb I need and advice, very much appreciated.

I don't know anything about the radio, I bought it in a charity shop to go in an Art Deco themed room at home. I've now come across this thread about the radio:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=52559

Having read the thread I'm a bit wary of using it too much as it seems there is a fair bit of work to do to maintaining it in working order. I'll use it mainly for display and have it on occassionally. It's a very long time since the electronics club at school and I'm wondering if my soldering skills are up to the work mentioned in the thread.

Reading the thread it would seem the important work is making sure the speaker cone is free and changing parts C29 (Pye Manual) , C20 (Trader Sheet). I'll start with the bulb!
Old 29th Oct 2021, 10:20 am   #5
Christoffrad
Hexode

I have a Pye75 that I use daily and it's been 100% reliable.
It has started exhibiting some tendency for slight oscillation when off-tuned and just for the first minute so I'll take a look at the decoupling caps sometime.
I listen to Radio Caroline on it (648kHz)
Old 29th Oct 2021, 1:58 pm   #6
agardiner
Octode

The single most important part for you to replace would be C29. At least then the output transformer is unlikely to become damaged. Valves are still available and these sets are straightforward to work on.

There will also be several members here who could recap the set for you if you don't feel up to it.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 6:38 pm   #7
Radiogogo
Diode

Thanks again for the help and advice. Good to know that daily use of the radio is possible. I've ordered the service manual. As the radio is working I'd hate to break it by trying to recap it myself as a first go, on the other hand it's a good opportunity to learn and I'd be keen to learn. If there is anyone around Devon, Bolton or NE Scotland who would undertake the work to recap and doesn't mind me watching them I'd appreciate a shout. Thanks.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 8:37 pm   #8
paulsherwin

These radios make an excellent first project if you want to tackle the work yourself. People here are happy to help beginners. You don't need lots of fancy workshop kit, just a soldering iron, a cheap digital multimeter and a few basic Poundland grade hand tools like pliers and sidecutters.
Closed Thread