UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2021, 7:01 pm   #1
BertramWooster
Diode

Default Old Philips valve radio - asbestos risk from backboard?

I recently purchased a Philips 531A-15. Nothing special, just a normal 1950s radio as far as I know. I don't know anything about vintage radios, I just thought it would be a nice, decorative thing (and would go nicely with the vintage audio equipment that I do use).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211030_182612 copy.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	244619

It's in decent condition, and needs a clean internally, but I am concerned about the risk of asbestos being present somewhere in it!

Name:	IMG_20211030_181803mmm.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	244621

I don't see anything there which stands out to me, and I haven't found anything online suggesting that anybody has found asbestos in a Philips radio. But I still want to err on the side of caution and ask for advice. Also, I'm a bit concerned about the backboard. This is made of some kind of cardboard material. I was concerned that this substance might contain asbestos, since card with asbestos fibres is something that was made around this time - and I'm guessing that heat insulation might have been considered important for this board. Is anyone aware of any of these boards having been checked for asbestos in the past?

Name:	IMG_20211030_182814c.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	244620
Old 30th Oct 2021, 7:51 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Old Philips valve radio - asbestos risk from backboard?

Hello and welcome,

As far as I know, the fibreboard backs of radios are generally considered to be asbestos-free, and therefore not a concern.

You're only likely to find friable asbestos in very compact radios with no mains transformer, either as heat insulating pads, as part of dropper resistors, or in resistive line cords. None of these apply here.

The biggest danger with old radios is fire and shock, rather than toxicity and carcinogenicity. IMHO, compared with, say, crossing the road, driving a car, or filling up with petrol, the risks are trivial so long as you're careful.

You've got the right attitude... if you're unsure, just ask.

Nick.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 7:55 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Nick is quite correct. Philips radios of this era with mains transformers (like yours) don't contain any asbestos. The back is basically cardboard.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 8:00 pm   #4
BertramWooster
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Hello and welcome,
You've got the right attitude... if you're unsure, just ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Nick is quite correct. Philips radios of this era with mains transformers (like yours) don't contain any asbestos. The back is basically cardboard.
Thanks both, really appreciate your input. Glad to know it's safe. Now the only question is whether, at some point, I dare to plug it in and retreat to a safe distance!
Old 30th Oct 2021, 8:13 pm   #5
paulsherwin

No, don't do that. It will need at least minimal restoration before it can be used safely and reliably. If you just power it up, you risk damaging the output or mains transformers amongst other things. If you wreck these, then the radio is basically scrap.

These early 50s Philips GB sets aren't usually difficult to restore, and make a good beginner's project if you're interested in doing it yourself. Philips used virtually the same chassis in most of their models from that time, and vintage radio people are very familiar with it.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 8:16 pm   #6
BertramWooster
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
No, don't do that. It will need at least minimal restoration before it can be used safely and reliably. If you just power it up, you risk damaging the output or mains transformers amongst other things. If you wreck these, then the radio is basically scrap.
Thanks, duly noted. I will clean it up a bit, and put it on a shelf until I find someone locally who can sort it out for me.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 8:24 pm   #7
Simon Gittins
Heptode

Applying Power for the First Time:
https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...ing-power.html
and other pages from the Repair and Restoration Menu at the bottom of the page are worth reading first.

Or your suggestion of finding someone to sort it out!

You could post a request here: Repair and Restoration Services Wanted
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145

Last edited by Simon Gittins; 30th Oct 2021 at 8:28 pm. Reason: Addition.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 10:29 pm   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Old Philips valve radio - asbestos risk from backboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertramWooster View Post
I will clean it up a bit and put it on a shelf until I find someone locally who can sort it out for me.
Hi!
You have a P.M.
Al. / Oct. 30th.
Closed Thread