UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2021, 7:34 pm   #1
Loftfind
Diode

Default Tripletone speakers

Hi, I've found a pair of Tripletone speakers in my dad's loft - I think they were his dad's. Having done some research into the company, I've found a bit on the amps they made (mostly from this fascinating forum) but I can find nothing about the speakers anywhere. I'm not sure what condition they're in internally but intend to try and use them with an amp I have. Does anyone have any info on the speakers? Many thanks.
Old 31st Oct 2021, 12:16 am   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Tripletone speakers

Well I never! I'm a fan of Tripletone products - this little stereo integrated valve amp does the audio for this PC. But I have never come across their speakers. They are probably 'badge engineered' - but you never know! Please post pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130418.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	244644  
Old 31st Oct 2021, 6:52 am   #3
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Tripletone speakers are shown in HFYB editions as follows:

1968/1969 Concerto p.203
1970 Concerto p.360
1972 Concerto Mk II p.305
Not in 1973
1974 Concerto Mk II p.305
1975 TS100, TS150, TS200 and TS250 p.405

Not in earlier or later editions.

I guess that by now, the HFYB series would be available on-line somewhere.

Cheers,
Old 31st Oct 2021, 8:36 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

We were Agents for Tripltone and sold and used their loudspeaker drive units. There were 8" and 10" vesions each wirh a roll surround, a high-compliance curved (parabolic) cone and a concentric whizzer. The well made chassis were of pressed steel and coloured gold. They may have been made by Richard-Allen. They were of high sensitivity and so ideal for reflex enclosures. I used many myself and always just as a full range, single driver and with very pleasing results.
Old 1st Nov 2021, 9:55 pm   #5
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Attached are HFYB excerpts covering the Tripletone speakers, albeit the information is provided is rather basic.

It does look as if there might have been a change of company ownership by 1974. At least there was a significant change of direction, as the 1974 speaker range was noticeably more elaborate and more expensive than what went before.

Cheers,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HFYB 1968-1969 p.203 Tripletone.pdf (415.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: pdf HFYB 1972 p.305 Tripletone.pdf (424.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: pdf HFYB 1974 p.405 Tripletone.pdf (308.0 KB, 54 views)
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 8:58 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Thank you for sight of these. In the order of your PDFs, the Concerto would have used Tripletone's own 8" dual cone drive unit as would the Concerto 2, but with the addition of a 3rd party Tweeter. The final range of speakers would all have used 3rd party drive units.