UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Dec 2021, 12:55 pm   #1
Keith956
Heptode

Default Repairing inkjet printers

I have an old HP5510 Officejet printer that is of around 2004 vintage, but has served well. In the last year it's been increasingly prone to not loading paper - it tries, but the paper doesn't move much and it fails with an 'out of paper' error.

Turns out the rubber wheel for the paper take up was looking old and hard so I thought I'd try some 'Rubber Renue' I bought for renovating the pinch wheel on my Sony TC366 recorder. It has worked a treat and the printer is now loading paper faultlessly once again!

Thought this might help save a few old printers from their journey into the afterlife...
Old 23rd Dec 2021, 3:35 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Repairing inkjet printers

Yes, lack of grippiness on the rubber pinch-wheels/rollers was always a bit of a thing with printers - both laser and inkjet. Using cheapo recycled paper doesn't help - it tends to have a lot more china-clay in it which creates a very fine dust that sticks to the rubber parts of the feed-mechanism and makes them lose their grip.
Old 23rd Dec 2021, 4:04 pm   #3
alanworland
Heptode

Default Re: Repairing inkjet printers

Thanks worth remembering!

Alan
Closed Thread