UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2012, 8:27 am   #1
Entellus
Retired Dormant Member

Default 860 Teasmade noises.

Hi all,

I have just bought an 860 model Teasmade and it works OK but the clock is making a clicking noise, sounds a bit like something needs lubricating or is perhaps slipping.
I have read answers from my previous post and lubrication was mentioned as a common fault (and removal of old lube). Anybody have any ideas? I think it is the clock because there is not much else working when no water is being boiled.
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 10:13 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: 860 Teasmade noises.

It will be noise from the clock motor, and either lack of lubrication or wear, especially on the plastic worm.

Very unlikely to be anything slipping, but that would make it lose time.
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 10:54 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

What would you recommend to lubricate the plastic worm, Mike?
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 5:59 pm   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I tend to use turret clock oil, Nick, but I think any car engine oil should be fine. It needs to be a bit thicker than clock oil.
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 8:00 pm   #5
Entellus
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you Mike and Nick, I am about to operate on my first teasmade. Any guidance re clock motors really appreciated, especially how to remove clock for repair.

Also the 860 came with full user instructions, if these are rare I will post them for all to download. I am not sure what is hard to get and what is not. Anyhow great site and helpful people, glad I found you all.
Old 5th Dec 2012, 4:37 am   #6
Entellus
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I'm still struggling regarding the right way to remove the clock from my 860 Teasmade.

It has stopped working altogether and I do not want to break anything doing it. For instance, does the hand adjusting knob just pull off? I thought I could prise it back out with a screwdriver. I have taken a photo of the wiring so I can get all that back ok.

I am being really careful here because of the no spare parts situation. Any help appreciated.
Old 19th Dec 2012, 6:24 am   #7
Entellus
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all,

My clock is not working so I have taken the motor out and removed the rotor and drive shaft. I can see two wheels inside the clock, one is red and it is in mesh and seems to be ok, the other is yellow and it is not in mesh as it just turns when I move it with a screwdriver. I think this could be the problem although I am not sure as it could be just a support for the motor shaft, the motor shaft has thread down to about halfway and does not appear to be stripped. Is there anybody who has some experience with these clocks?

The clock looks like a sealed unit and I am not sure I can go any further. If this is the case I suppose I could just use the "Tea now" button and not use the clock, any suggestions?
Old 20th Dec 2012, 10:06 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

At this point, I think we really need pictures to see what's actually happening to the motor.
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 9:14 pm   #9
Entellus
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I have the motor out and shaft looks ok, what I really need to know is how to test he motor for correct function. It has two grey wires attached, how do I tell which is the active one and then how to test it?

A photo would not show much as all I have is the motor as described and a hole in the clockworks where it came from. Trying to decide if the motor or clock itself is faulty. I have a couple of spare motors on the way from the UK at the moment, so I am hoping it is the motor.

Cheers!
Old 24th Dec 2012, 12:30 am   #10
julie_m
Dekatron

As a first test, measure the resistance between the two grey wires on the disconnected clock motor using a multimeter on a resistance range. Start on the 2kΩ range and work up through the ranges until you get a sensible reading (i.e. not "overload", usually indicated by just a 1 in the leftmost position of the display, but in any case whatever is seen with the meter on a resistance range and the probes not connected to anything). If you get "overload" on all resistance ranges, it means the motor winding has failed open-circuit. This is the worst that can happen, but is still recoverable.

The Teasmade I have (not sure of model no., but it is a 1970s-style one with rotary mode switch) used a hefty wirewound resistor in series with the motor. If yours has such a resistor, measure its resistance with a multimeter.

Post the results of your initial tests and someone will get back to you .....
Old 24th Dec 2012, 1:05 am   #11
Refugee
Dekatron

From message #1 I got the impression that the start direction device was rattling or clicking.
I think it is supposed to move clear once it has done its job.
I guess it has got a dab of grease on it that has dried out.
It will be on the first gear the motor drives in the movement.
My father cut a piece off one on an alarm clock to stop it "ticking" thinking it was there to reassure the owner it was working and that it did not serve any other purpose.
The clock went backwards.
Old 24th Dec 2012, 3:21 am   #12
Entellus
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you AJS and Refugee I will check and measure as suggested, and get back soon as possible.

Cheers
Old 24th Dec 2012, 10:27 am   #13
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entellus View Post
Hi,

I have the motor out and shaft looks ok, what I really need to know is how to test he motor for correct function. It has two grey wires attached, how do I tell which is the active one and then how to test it?
There isn't an "active" one; they can be connected either way round.
You should be able to run the motor without the rest of the clock movement.
Quote:
A photo would not show much as all I have is the motor as described and a hole in the clockworks where it came from.
Cheers!
I still think it would be useful to see both as I cannot remember what the 860 clock looked like inside and that would tell us what to look for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
If you get "overload" on all resistance ranges, it means the motor winding has failed open-circuit. This is the worst that can happen, but is still recoverable.
However, it was originally working so now it's stopped it might be a mechanical fault rather than an OC winding?
Quote:
The Teasmade I have (not sure of model no., but it is a 1970s-style one with rotary mode switch) used a hefty wirewound resistor in series with the motor. If yours has such a resistor, measure its resistance with a multimeter.
The 850 and 855 had a 12k so it could be used on 200/220v by overriding it.
Don't think Entellus' 860 has one.
Old 26th Dec 2012, 4:47 am   #14
Entellus
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you all, could somebody tell me how to test the motor while out of the clock?

Thanks.
Old 26th Dec 2012, 4:50 am   #15
Entellus
Retired Dormant Member

Forgot to mention that I do not know how to insert a photo!, will post one of motor as requested when I know.
Old 26th Dec 2012, 10:08 am   #16
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

That's the first thing we need to do, then:
Go here then scroll down to Attachments and Images and you'll see details about doing that.
Old 26th Dec 2012, 10:00 pm   #17
Entellus
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Mike!
Old 26th Dec 2012, 10:23 pm   #18
Entellus
Retired Dormant Member

Have uploaded photo, hope this is right!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020718.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	74348  
Old 26th Dec 2012, 10:41 pm   #19
julie_m
Dekatron

Yes, there's a series resistor. Looks like brown, red, orange = 1 2 000 = 12K, a couple of watts.

First do cold tests: with the unit unpowered, measure the resistance between the two ends of the resistor, and the two grey wires on the motor. See earlier posting by me. If both are OK (post readings here if in doubt), and you feel comfortable doing live tests, then proceed as follows:

Connect either the resistor in the Teasmade, or (if that turned out to be open-circuit) another resistor of the same value and wattage, in series with the motor; fix a bit of tape to the pinion gear, to see if it moves; then power it up and see what, if anything, happens.
Old 27th Dec 2012, 3:55 am   #20
Entellus
Retired Dormant Member

Hi AJS, I have an autoranging multimeter, I put it on resistance and got the reading 5.57 when I put the probes on each of the grey wires coming from the motor. Did I do this OK? Not very experienced with the meter. I guess this means the motor is ok? Not sure. Await your wisdom on this one.

Regards
Closed Thread