UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2012, 6:11 pm   #1
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Default Heathkit IO-18 Oscilloscope (Knobs)

I have just acquired the above scope, for sentimental reasons you understand, and I am wondering how to remove the control knobs in order to give it a bit of a clean. it's in really good shape and a quick wipe over is all it really needs.

The manual indicates that the knobs have an metal insert, which when pushed on to the shaft cannot be removed? Then, it you need to change a pot do you need to destroy the knob in order to do it? or is there another way. I am reluctant to try force as I may actually break something which would be a shame.
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 1:17 am   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Heathkit IO-18 Oscilloscope (Knobs)

Would they not be the type with a press stud that you flick out with a knife to reveal a nut that you undo half a turn to get the knob off.
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 2:08 am   #3
Amraduk
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
Would they not be the type with a press stud that you flick out with a knife to reveal a nut that you undo half a turn to get the knob off.
They would be collet knobs!

Regards,

Dave.
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 1:07 am   #4
MrElectronicman
Heptode

I have got one of the knob offs. One of the pots was sticking about half way, with a bit of wiggling the knob came off, unfortunately together with the shaft. The knob is just a friction fit on the shaft, and there is a metal inset in the plastic knob with a retaining spring.

The plastic carrier for the wiper has broken, which is why the shaft came out. It's a simple fix to change the pot now the knob is off