UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2014, 8:47 pm   #121
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: More old plugs!

Mum and Dads house have Bill 13A sockets, it was built in about the same year, 1954. They are the same colour as the plug and have the same logo. Behind the faceplate the workings are encased in a sort of vitreous earthenware like an old round light switch. They need a very deep back box.

We've just ripped out all our industrial bill fuseboards at work, installed new in the mid 1970's. Excellent quality and only changed due to lack of expansion. They've been replaced by something made in Germany.
Old 4th Dec 2014, 10:01 pm   #122
johnpriceuk
Retired Dormant Member

McMurdo, do you have any photos of those Bill sockets? Would be interesting to see as I've never come across those

Just bought myself a nice 5 amp metal-clad MK on eBay to put in the loft on the lighting circuit to power my safe light / enlarger for the dark room I'm hoping to assemble in there. These just have such a quality feeling that you really can't get these days IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5 amp mk.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	101114  
Old 4th Dec 2014, 11:14 pm   #123
Nicklyons2
Octode

John, note that your Hoover plug won't fit in to a 3 pin socket the L-N spacing was closer on the 2 pin versions of all the old British plugs than in the 3 pin versions, there were, however, some lovely adaptors which plugged into 3 pin outlets and had 2 off 2 pin sockets + a 3 pin... Clang's the name 'triangular adaptors' was their game...
Old 5th Dec 2014, 12:07 pm   #124
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: More old plugs!

Hi,
Here is my assortement of Clang triangular adaptors. Also shown are some MK 15amp adaptors with 5amp fused sockets on top and one with a 2amp fused socket. The third pic is an MK 15amp two pin plug with a 5amp socket on the back from the early 'thirties. The socket is double pole fused using fusewire.
Fourth up is a chrome plated flush 5amp socket, possibly MK. When the switch is 'on' the earth pin is gripped and can't be withdrawn. The interlock works with any plug, not just MK ones.
Finally, we have another MK 2amp two way adaptor. The interesting thing about this delight is that the sides are 'cut away' so that it will fit Crabtree 2amp 'fireside' sockets with inclined holes.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF5613.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	101131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Round Pin Adaptors.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	101132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old MK plug (6).JPG
Views:	278
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	101133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome 5A socket (2).jpg
Views:	276
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	101134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old MK adaptors (4).jpg
Views:	282
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	101135  

Old 5th Dec 2014, 2:08 pm   #125
emeritus
Dekatron

Although I understand they were prohibited for new installations in the late 1940's, 2 pin 2A plugs and surface-mounting sockets, in white and brown, made by W&G, were still being sold by my local Woolworths in West Ham and Barking well into the early 1960's. As a schoolboy I bought some to use in a 12VDC power supply system. We only had a mains socket in one room upstairs, and it allowed me to run my battery tape recorder in other rooms, the 12V supply being my Hornby train set controller. Woolworths continued to sell W&G flex extenders to the 2 pin 2A gauge until the regulations for mains flexibles changed in the 1970's: their 2A extenders were only suitable for the shotgun configuration or twisted pair-type single insulated cables, and had no cord grip. I used to use them in my first car for connecting 12V accessories and still have some examples of all these types stashed away somewhere in the loft.

Last edited by emeritus; 5th Dec 2014 at 2:13 pm.
Old 5th Dec 2014, 2:22 pm   #126
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I remember using those Woolworths WG 2A in-line plugs/sockets for hooking together long runs of loudspeaker-cable for the PA at outdoor events. I generally wired them with 2-core "D10" phone cable scrounged from the school CCF.

There was a similar plug and small circular surface-mounting socket but with polarised pins - I remember model-railway types using these for low voltage hookups, and they were sometimes also used on the dashboard of old non-heater-equipped cars to allow a "fixed to the windscreen by suckers" demister to be plugged in.
Old 5th Dec 2014, 3:05 pm   #127
Nicklyons2
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
The interesting thing about this delight is that the sides are 'cut away' so that it will fit Crabtree 2amp 'fireside' sockets with inclined holes
And as it's been mentioned here is a 'fireside unit', here we see it modelled by two contemporary plugs - the beautifully proportioned MK and a (what we used to call) 'lavvy seat' plug.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fireside1.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	101145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireside2.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	101146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireside3.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	101147  
Old 5th Dec 2014, 3:15 pm   #128
BobGreen
Retired Dormant Member

When we moved to London after the War, the house was equipped with a variant of the 15amp plug of those days (1950) except these had a complex sculpture of the earth pin so that the socket's switch would not go "on" unless the plug was inserted and once "on" the plug was locked in place. I recall my father ordering extra plugs from MK. Has anyone else seen these ultra safe items??
Old 5th Dec 2014, 3:20 pm   #129
Nicklyons2
Octode

As in my post (#81) - he may well have been ordering new MK sockets when they'd been 'fouled' by the locking Crabtree plugs!
Old 5th Dec 2014, 3:26 pm   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
Although I understand they were prohibited for new installations in the late 1940's
Forgive me if I am wrong, anything is allowed as long as it is safe. An example is terminal blocks at 240V inside a cabinet. One way of 'proving' it is to follow the IEE regulations.

Old 5th Dec 2014, 7:15 pm   #131
emeritus
Dekatron

My understanding came from my copy of Odhams "Radio Television and Electrical Repairs", third edition(1956), PDF attached, which refers to the use of 2 pin outlets being forbidden by the 12th edition of the wiring regulations.

While the text and drawing describe and illustrate how to install a 3 pin 2A socket, the caption to the drawing is evidently a carry-over from an earlier (1948 first, or 1952 second) edition, as it still refers to a 2 pin 2A socket.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2A socket wiring.pdf (511.0 KB, 225 views)
Old 5th Dec 2014, 10:38 pm   #132
johnpriceuk
Retired Dormant Member

Nicklyons2, I know, I'll just be using it with my safe light / enlarger. I've bought a couple of 5 amp round pin plugs to put on them
Old 6th Dec 2014, 10:11 am   #133
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

I have a 1980s MK 5 amp socket in the kitchen mounted in the panel below the old boiler, the type with the thin faceplate and recessed switch lever. This has the fridge and freezer plugged in via a modern adaptor. The cable is 1.0mm² I think and originally fed only the boiler via a fused spur, so I didn't want to fit a 13A socket as a breaker trip could be a problem!

This way if the ring main gets tripped, as has happened several times the fridge and freezer won't be affected. It's on a 6A breaker.

I'll post photos of this and some of my old plugs, sockets and adaptors soon. It's a shame I appear to have lost some of my nicer examples during a house move, including the MK fused adaptor with 5-amp socket in the top (the ivory version of the ones in Post 98 Image 2) and an assortment of other items. They might be here somewhere.

Brian
Old 6th Dec 2014, 2:37 pm   #134
johnpriceuk
Retired Dormant Member

yes, yes, more photos of everything MK related please
Old 6th Dec 2014, 3:07 pm   #135

Quote:
I'll just be using it with my safe light / enlarger.
One way round is to fit a few lamp holders and use adaptors. Do 'earthed' BC adaptors exist for use with earthed brass lamp holders?

Old 6th Dec 2014, 3:23 pm   #136
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: More old plugs!

Hi,
Yes they do. I think every brass lamp holder, BC or ES, now has to have an earth terminal fitted.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 6th Dec 2014, 9:16 pm   #137
emeritus
Dekatron

BC adaptors with an earth connection were certainly available from GEC pre-war: see the following thread, https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...t=71262&page=4 posts 71-81 for photos of my (incomplete and wrongly-manufactured) example, and an illustration of a complete one from one of Lucien's catalogues.

Last edited by emeritus; 6th Dec 2014 at 9:23 pm.
Old 28th Jun 2015, 8:58 pm   #138
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: 13A Plugs old and not so old

I have an early CLIX 13A plug show in the pictures below.

The first 2 pictures are general views of the plug and the first shows the huge bulge in the cover to accommodate the fuse holder.

In the 3rd the terminals and the back of the fuse holder can be seen.

The 4th picture shows the fuse and one of its contacts.

The 5th picture shows some detail. "A" is the cord grip (the holder of which is detachable), "B" and "C" are the cover fixing screws (you knew that? ). When the fuse holder "D" is turned anti-clockwise through 90 deg. the fuse can be dropped out at "E".

The plug is made from bakelite and due to the design must have cost a fortune to manufacture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gen view1.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	110076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen view2.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	110077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Terminals.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	110078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	110079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Detail.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	110080  

Last edited by ukcol; 28th Jun 2015 at 9:00 pm. Reason: grammer
Old 28th Jun 2015, 9:04 pm   #139
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Never seen one of those, Colin. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 28th Jun 2015, 9:46 pm   #140
electrogram
Heptode

I have a couple of these, on one the giant grub screw cord grip is plastic but on the other it is made of some fibrous material. It would be interesting to know what year they were first produced.
Closed Thread