UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2021, 5:13 pm   #1
16Restoration

Default Early 30's Jackson electric cooker

I have an early 30's Jackson electric cooker in a non-functioning but physically good state that I would like to restore.
My question right now as I'm looking at gutting it to repair rust damage and clean is about asbestos - does anyone know if these had asbestos insulation around the oven/in the oven door (there's no sealing "rope" now), and asbestos covered wiring?

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23fae0822cd74826484bd3ffe146a14e.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	240292  
Old 29th Aug 2021, 8:50 pm   #2
Brigham
Octode

Default Re: Early 30's Jackson electric cooker

That's very like mine, but a lighter blue, and no ventilator in the oven door.
The boiling-plates are not so good, but the oven is superb.
There's a mercury thermometer for the less-intuitive cooks among us.

I'm looking out for a period cooker-point for mine. Anyone have anything suitable?
Old 29th Aug 2021, 10:10 pm   #3
stainless
Tetrode

Wow. We had one of those in the house I first moved to in London (1976). No thermostat on the oven - control it manually whilst looking at the thermometer. Got good at changing the heat input somewhat before the wanted temperature was reached. There was leakage to case in one of the top elements - the previous householder had removed the earth connection as well.
Old 30th Aug 2021, 12:07 am   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Our Revo is a pretty similar design and has followed us around since being the installed appliance in the first and only house we rented, in Lincoln in 1980-81. Inspection of the wiring is easy enough, the side panels are held on by a couple of thumb nuts. Nothing I found looked concerning re. asbestos, but I'm not sure I've ever taken apart the oven door.

Paul
Old 30th Aug 2021, 3:01 am   #5
broadgage
Nonode

The oven door might have had asbestos rope as a door real originally, obviously no longer available. Substitute material in the form of glass fibre rope is available, it is used to seal the doors and the ashpan on modern log burners and any supplier of spares for log stoves should be able to supply alternative material.
Closed Thread