UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jul 2021, 7:47 pm   #21
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: How rare are these plugs?

Hi.
I've around half a dozen of them and they are used every day. I have a 12v solar system in my shed and they are ideal. I have my amateur 2 meter transceiver, 12v soldering iron, standards converters, freeview boxes and other items that use the 12v with these 5 amp fused plugs.
Old 17th Jul 2021, 12:50 am   #22
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

When I built my darkroom in my teens, I made a mains distribution board using Bulgin plugs and sockets, item 10 here: I'm not sure why I chose those, but in 1969 the ubiquitous 13A power strip was yet to become a thing.

Yikes, it says on that site that the original ones were only rated for 50V!
Old 17th Jul 2021, 7:49 am   #23
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I think the 50V rating is about accessibility of live conductors rather than what the connector can handle. See also legend in image 12.
Old 17th Jul 2021, 9:40 am   #24
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: How rare are these plugs?

Hi,
The 50 volt rating was because they could be opened without tools, just unscrew the cap. I remember seeing BC lamp holder adaptors fitted with a locking screw to comply with the new ruling.
If those Bulgin connectors were used inside an equipment cubicle or case, then they were OK as they were.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 18th Jul 2021, 5:12 pm   #25
seymour32
Tetrode

Hi ,
When I worked for the DECCA Empire back in the 70s and 80s 98% of the test equipment had the 2A version fitted , Some even had 10A fuses fitted. All the testing stations / benches were plugged into 13A sockets with red pigmy lamps half way up the supply conduit , so at night they knew all the benches were turned off.
Old 19th Jul 2021, 9:47 am   #26
Restoration73
Nonode

I remember repairing a Clarke & Smith 8812 schools tuner/amp that had a chassis 2A
socket. As it was unshuttered I supplied a new unattached plug to prevent contact.
Old 19th Jul 2021, 3:28 pm   #27
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If you are on Facebook you may like this "Vintage mains plugs and electrical curiosities" group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/716156685782212

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 19th Jul 2021, 11:52 pm   #28
kellymarie
Pentode

I've gad a good look at that site it's really good I would recomend it
Old 25th Aug 2021, 9:29 pm   #29
Nicola_Jayne
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicmerlin View Post
Interesting about the university’s . About 20 years ago . At a radio rally I bought loads of 4 way 13a socket strips. They had 2A fused plugs on the end . So-called from universities.
They were no money and I only wanted them for the 2Amp plugs. Andy
Shades of my son's University. First thing I made up for him was a 2A plug to four 13A sockets disboard for his sound system! (Mine, with '60s residences in the early '70s had real 13A sockets, so in room toasters/kettles/fan heaters/Baby Bellings were possible.)

I always suspected it was a ploy to keep the amount of free leccy available to students strictly limited!
AFAIK it was to keep Kettles / toasters / toastie makers to the kitchens
Closed Thread