UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2021, 1:08 pm   #1
suebutcher
Heptode

Default Hearing aid Bosch Omniton MT80 SP.

I bought this old Bosch hearing aid recently. Made about 1975, I think. It worked once the battery muck was removed, and it amplifies distant voices quite well. But I'm not sure if the AGC is working correctly, because the wearer's own voice tends to overload the output circuit. If you look at the trimmer panel on the side, there's a microphone gain control (GC), a tone control (TC), and what I assume is the AGC (PC). But adjusting the PC trimmer affects the gain at all volume levels, which doesn't help close voice distortion. Inside it's all common or garden discrete components, so it seems serviceable. Advice, anyone? Where might I find a circuit diagram?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MT80case.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	241967   Click image for larger version

Name:	MT80trimmers.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	241968   Click image for larger version

Name:	MT80inside.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	241969  

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 25th Sep 2021 at 11:09 am. Reason: title change requested by OP
Old 25th Sep 2021, 11:19 am   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Hearing aid Bosch Omniton MT80 SP.

I did look into hearing aids a few decades ago having picked some up cheap at the Boot sale, for simple devices they can be amazingly sophisticated.

Many have a power saving circuit that switches off the output stage unless sound reaches a threshold as well as an AGC.

I spy tants and I have a very suspicious nature when stuff has tants in it.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 26th Sep 2021, 11:52 am   #3
suebutcher
Heptode

Yep, the only non-tantalum electrolytic in there is a replacement. It wouldn't be hard to replace the rest. Is age on its own a problem with tantalums? Because I've plenty of unused tants in my spares.

I've improved on the performance somewhat. Gain down to -20dB, then AGC to -8dB, which gives less distortion on close voice without reducing the volume of a distant voice.
Old 26th Sep 2021, 2:06 pm   #4
factory
Octode

I doubt age is the problem as I had a fairly recent one from Maplin fail (lasted 10 years), but rather inadequate voltage rating, i.e. putting 6V rated parts on a 5V rail, or 16V parts on a 12V or 15V rail will increase the failure rate.
I should point out I have lots of 30+ year old test gear with tants and so far only the one item has had a failure (OK it happened again as I didn't uprate the part I fitted).

I've seen far more problems with small electrolytics, the seals can fail after 20 to 30 years, the electrolyte escapes and corrodes traces on multilayer boards. So far I've seen Sprague, Panasonic, Rubycon & Nichicon fail in this way (including NOS).

David

Last edited by factory; 26th Sep 2021 at 2:17 pm.
Old 26th Sep 2021, 2:19 pm   #5
paulsherwin

I'm far from being an expert on old hearing aids, but the design looked dated for 1975, especially given that Bosch were a premium manufacturer. I did a bit of googling and found several references to 1970, though even that seems late for a 'shirt front' hearing aid.

https://hearingaidmuseum.com/gallery...ndex-bosch.htm
Old 27th Sep 2021, 3:07 am   #6
suebutcher
Heptode

The date's a guess. The serial number starts with "750..." and the colour of the case is beige and dark brown, a typical late-70s appliance scheme. Manufacturers kept making body hearing aids like this for people with severe hearing loss. This one is quite powerful, far too loud for Carol at full volume.