UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2013, 12:42 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Morphy Richards Derwent Convector

Oh great, I appear to have started collecting vintage convector heaters now.

This one was a fiver from the junk market and was Morphy Richards top-of-the-range model in 1964, when it cost £15 and a few bob.

For that you get a single infra-red front bar (750w), separately switched, whilst inside are 2kw of heating elements with thermostatic control- the actual control knob is identical to that found on Morphy Richards toasters of the time! To complete the ensemble, the whole thing is internally lit with a 15w pygmy bulb which reflects on a red-tinted back plate behind the grilles. Finish is in a light grey Hammerite.

Styling is a matter of taste, but this one is growing on me, although it looked a bit 60s 'brutalist' at first.

Anyway, you can almost feel the glow from the pictures! The front bar kicks out some heat- you could probably brown toast by it!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MR Derwent1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	74725   Click image for larger version

Name:	MR Derwent2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	74726   Click image for larger version

Name:	MR Derwent3.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	74727   Click image for larger version

Name:	MR Derwent4.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	74728  
Old 6th Jan 2013, 2:20 pm   #2
Stubble
Pentode

Default Re: Morphy Richards Derwent Convector

Nice, you can feel the heat.
Old 9th Jan 2013, 8:35 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Morphy Richards Derwent Convector

Hi,
As a kid we had a Morphy Richards wall mounted IR heater which used the same chrome guard and end covers. It was finished in cream and had a pull cord switch.
Cheers, Pete