UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Sep 2021, 12:10 pm   #1
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default My Grundig Yacht Boy.

My Wife bought me this from Currys (as it then was) in the High Street in Newmarket in March 1973. The best Birthday present I've ever received!

Now it's stopped working on batteries, only on the mains adaptor. The battery compartment and terminals are spotless. I must dig out the circuit diagram, but is this fault usually just down to a faulty diode switch?
Old 19th Sep 2021, 1:21 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: My Grundig Yacht Boy.

It sounds as if there's a problem with the mains/battery switch behind the sliding back panel. The first thing to do is obviously to give it a squirt of Servisol.
Old 19th Sep 2021, 8:41 pm   #3
kirstyd
Heptode

I had a problem with mine some years ago where the middle screw that holds the back on was loose due to the plastic around it cracking .Without the screw holding the cabinet back securely on the the heavy [6]batteries were making the bottom of the cabinet sag causing a bad connection. It took me ages to work out what was happening . A repair with a small block of wood fixed the problem .the yacht boy is a nice set but the flimsy cabinet lets it down somewhat
Old 20th Sep 2021, 10:14 am   #4
Jimbo
Pentode

I bought my own Yacht Boy in early 1974, -also from Currys,- with my first pay cheque and it has served well ever since!

It developed the same battery fault that you describe about 5 years later and although I was already keenly interested in radios, it was still 'new' to me so I took it to a Grundig Service Centre for repair.

When the set was returned there was no description of the work that had been undertaken, but the obvious difference was that the battery terminals at both ends of the battery compartment had been changed, so I would concentrate you initial searches around that area.

The set also has a lead with a 'PP9' connector that can be used to connect to an external DC supply. I have used my Yacht Boy with such a PSU for many years as 'D' cells, [or 'U2's as they were when I bought the set] are expensive. A few years ago the lead developed an internal break, -easy enought to find the fault, but difficult to source a PP9 connector with long flying leads!

I still have a copy of the circuit diagram, the PCB layouts and simple service data that was included in the owners handbook for the set so PM me if you need a copy.

Jim M0GJD
Old 20th Sep 2021, 5:58 pm   #5
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Not boasting, but we have two, bought from Comet in 1970 era, one mains, the other was battery so I made a PSU which fitted in the battery space. Still working well. Ted g4egb
Closed Thread