UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2021, 8:18 pm   #41
paulsherwin

Default Re: Singer sewing machine sticky pedal

It's a lot of work to restore a vintage treadle machine, especially in poor condition, and they aren't very practical as working machines. Sewing using a treadle is hard work, and most original treadle machines have been converted back to hand crank if they're still in use. It's up to you of course.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 11:56 pm   #42
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeDavies View Post
Absolutely nothing to do with my sticky pedal but while looking for a replacement I spotted this! "Quality-Leather-Treadle-Machine-Cowhide Belt." Now there's a thought for the keen restorer of vintage sewing machines! We've had a treadle machine rusting in the back garden for 30+ years. All the wooden parts have fallen off. Do I or any one have the energy?
Those old sewing machines are popular for the ornate cast iron framework.
They're using them for plant stands or other decorative uses.
Dave, USradcoll1, as usual!
Old 6th Jul 2021, 12:24 am   #43
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I've had a different experience from you, Paul. I'm setting up a menswear brand with a friend who's been running her own clothing business for 15 years - she had her electric Singer semi-industrial machine returned to its original treadle operation, and has used it as her main machine since. She finds it's more controllable and quieter for long stints sewing than her new electrical industrial machine. It's been kept serviced, so perhaps that's why it has a light touch on the treadle.

I find the noise an unexpectedly major thing - it's amazing, when sewing for a long time, what a difference to mental strain the gentle swish and rattle of the treadle makes compared to the whine and clatter of even a high-end industrial electric machine.
Old 6th Jul 2021, 9:07 am   #44
paulsherwin

It's true that some people do like treadles. There's a particular skill involved in using one. They sold in large numbers in the first half of the last century, as they could be used in homes and workshops without electricity while allowing both hands to be used to control the work. There are relatively few survivors now, with most being scrapped or converted into desks and tables.
Old 6th Jul 2021, 12:28 pm   #45

Some treadle conversions used the treadle as the motor control, neat.

Old 7th Jul 2021, 5:22 pm   #46
DianeDavies
Tetrode

Good news! We ordered a foot controller from a well-known online retailer as suggested by Merlinmaxwell, and it arrived promptly. Luckily intact as the cardboard packaging was little more than an unsealed cardboard "tube" with no protection against damage or loss of parts. However, on opening it it was not "electronic", but actually much like the original even down to the carbon discs in ceramic holder. But it did have the recommended capacitor! It is identical to the controller on the Toyota overlocker, even down to the sticky label giving its model number. It was easy enough to substitute onto the sewing machine. And even better news, the machine now accelerates gradually, after a sticky slow start. It prefers to start with the needle in the fabric. I also gave it an oiling while we waited for the controller and have also extracted a considerable amount of fluff from under the bobbin and footplate. So it sounds like a new machine, no rattles!
Old 7th Jul 2021, 5:31 pm   #47
DianeDavies
Tetrode

Re treadle machines, the handbook with this vintage machine gives instructions for using it either as treadle or hand powered, as well as electric. As I said, I did use a treadle when I was young and my school only had hand operated machines, which are both very controllable. But I myself have no plans to restore the treadle frame, and the machine was totally rusted up when it was "rescued" from a pub carpark in Wales. Its best hope is a plant stand if we can get the rust off. My husband has his grandmother's hand operated singer, still awaiting attention..
Old 7th Jul 2021, 5:36 pm   #48
DianeDavies
Tetrode

Not sure of my facts but I believe treadle machines are still used in rural Africa and India
Old 7th Jul 2021, 5:50 pm   #49
paulsherwin

I'm glad you're sorted out. I'm genuinely surprised that you've managed to get hold of a new rheostat pedal though - I didn't think anybody had made them for 50 years. Maybe there's a factory in China churning them out, or maybe somebody is supplying new old stock.

The classic hand crank and treadle Singers are still sent to Africa and other developing countries by several charities, as standard parts are still available on the rare occasions they're needed. They're also popular with quilters in the US.

I still have my great grandmother's hand cranked Jones Family CS, bought new on hire purchase in 1898. It has led a hard life and is quite worn, but still sews well.
Old 7th Jul 2021, 5:57 pm   #50
PaulR
Dekatron

Like so many items made prior to the start of the throw away society they are made to last for ever with a bit of maintenance. No squeaky plastic clips to break as soon as you try to dislodge them. I have restored Hoover Seniors and a 1950s Kenwood Chef made to similar but admittedly not quite such an indestructible standard.

Last edited by PaulR; 7th Jul 2021 at 6:08 pm.
Old 7th Jul 2021, 8:33 pm   #51

I have just thought that a "two phase" treadle would make starting in any position possible without the need to hand spin the flywheel. Has one ever been made I wonder.

I too am surprised that my suggestion was a proper disk job, glad it works.

Old 7th Jul 2021, 10:57 pm   #52
DianeDavies
Tetrode

A new foot controller being wired up. Identical to a not so very old Toyota over-locker controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7441.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	237282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7443.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	237283  
Closed Thread