UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2017, 3:25 pm   #1
longshot
Retired Dormant Member

Default Prova Fan Heater 1960ish

This favourite is spared the current purge (permanently!)....Prova was the House brand name for British Home Stores (BHS). I like the way it uses standard components like the bakelite handle and heater control and it has a Memphis quality to it though made years before that movement. Only one left in the pre-digital group photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prova Fan Heater.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	154022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prova Win-O-Sum etc.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	154023  
Old 15th Dec 2017, 3:37 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Prova Fan Heater 1960ish

WE've got a more conventional fan heater in the loft with exactly the same rotary switch and tilt stand, that one's badged Prilect
Old 15th Dec 2017, 6:43 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Cute, it has to me a bit of a "Batman!" [the 1960s TV series featuring Adam West] flavour to the styling! Must admit I'd forgotten about "Prova" being the house-brand of BHS.

[I started this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=136926 some months back about in-house brands: Prova didn't get mentioned nor did "Keynote" which was for a while the Littlewoods catalog house-brand].
Old 15th Dec 2017, 10:40 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I would have remembered Prova as the British Home Stores' brand, but only because of a long vanished rubber hot water bottle, dating probably from the late '60s: interesting to see that it accommodated household electrical items too.

Paul
Old 16th Dec 2017, 12:11 am   #5
Peter88gate
Tetrode

I've still got my Prova fan heater which was bought about 1964 at the BHS branch in North End Road, Fulham. It still does sterling service every winter in this household. It gets a strip down every few years to be cleaned and lubricated and then works again as good as new!

Peter
Old 16th Dec 2017, 9:28 pm   #6
longshot
Retired Dormant Member

Is your example the same colour? I used the Prova yesterday....freezing cold getting out of the shower!! I think it's got a kind of appealing robot face
Old 17th Dec 2017, 2:17 pm   #7
Peter88gate
Tetrode

Yes mine's the same colour. I often use it to boost the heating on very cold days. It certainly is an unusual design and quite appealing.

Peter
Closed Thread