UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2021, 12:49 pm   #41
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferrograph part missing?

Yes I wondered the same about the extra pot.

Well the pin 8 being open circuit certainly explains (being the bias link) the lack of recording, well done Mike on finding/fixing it.

David
Old 20th Sep 2021, 1:18 pm   #42
sparkymike
Octode

The extra pot was 1.5K, probably wire wound (by the size of it.)
Yes it was soldered on to the upper Bias/erase link. I think 1K was the resistor that was advised in the 5 manual. Anyway, that is now gone, as is the extra neon lamp at the rear top of deck plate. Had to remove the counter so I could clean up the hole, the butcher had done. Round about a 1/16" burr on it inside and out !! Don't know how anyone could manage to do something as bad as that. (By the way, inside the cabinet it is easy to touch the live terminal on the Bulgin socket.)
I cleaned it up and also painted the metal edges and now looking for a small blank grommet or similar to fill the hole. Not sure what to do with the extra slide switches on the front. Maybe a nice BBC sticker would cover them. Ha !!
Another good condition control plate would be best way to go, if I could find one. I think it would be fairly easy to change without to much removal of any components.
Mike.
Old 20th Sep 2021, 1:41 pm   #43
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Well the pin 8 being open circuit certainly explains (being the bias link) the lack of recording
Pin 8 is the record signal supply not the bias supply.

Lawrence.
Old 21st Sep 2021, 11:58 am   #44
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymike View Post
The extra pot was 1.5K, probably wire wound (by the size of it.)
Yes it was soldered on to the upper Bias/erase link.
Superimposition pot, then.
Old 21st Sep 2021, 3:54 pm   #45
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Well the pin 8 being open circuit certainly explains (being the bias link) the lack of recording
Pin 8 is the record signal supply not the bias supply.

Lawrence.
Yes agreed, when I first read Post # 39 I then misinterpreted your Post # 28 where you said the erase bias link is P8-SK8 as meaning pin 8 because pin 8 was also referenced in the same post (for the record signal at SK1-P1), silly mistake of mine.

David
Old 21st Sep 2021, 5:55 pm   #46
sparkymike
Octode

Correction,the pot I removed is 1.7K not 1.5K .
One more small problem is I plugged in a good extension speaker to the 15 ohm socket, but no output ? I will have to check the jack socket, and wiring back to output transformer, which is all direct wiring. Internal speaker works , so it has got to be as above, or the butcher has done another weird mod !!
Mike.
Old 21st Sep 2021, 8:21 pm   #47
sparkymike
Octode

Found out my deliberate mistake . I was using a temporary lead from speaker cab to Ferrograph with stereo plugs. The plugs were preventing a good connection.
Mike.
Old 29th Sep 2021, 9:42 am   #48
sparkymike
Octode

On fast rewind in any direction, when the tape nears the end, the reels slow down to a crawl. What I noticed is that the brass roller is slightly in contact with the tape when in the above directions.I am wondering if this is helping to slow things down.? All the mechanism seems to be correct in the pinch roller area, but if anyone has come up with a similar problem I would like to know if an answer was found, or if this is a normal condition.
Mike.
Old 29th Sep 2021, 11:02 am   #49
Analogue man
Hexode

Quote:
On fast rewind in any direction, when the tape nears the end, the reels slow down to a crawl. What I noticed is that the brass roller is slightly in contact with the tape when in the above directions.I am wondering if this is helping to slow things down.? All the mechanism seems to be correct in the pinch roller area, but if anyone has come up with a similar problem I would like to know if an answer was found, or if this is a normal condition.
Mike.
Three motor machines often slow down towards the end of a wind especially if the motors are cold, usually stripping the motors and cleaning and lubricating the bearings will help. It is unlikely that the brass pinch roller will have any effect on the wind speed.
Old 29th Sep 2021, 11:10 am   #50
DMcMahon
Dekatron

You coud temporarily remove the brass pinch roller to check if it is having any adverse effect on fast wind performance.

David
Old 30th Sep 2021, 7:47 am   #51
sparkymike
Octode

Yes that is a good idea. Why didn't I think of that !!
Mike.
Old 1st Oct 2021, 5:24 pm   #52
BillDWVA
Pentode

Quote:
Mike.
On the Series 5 and 6 decks there is no tape lifter so the tape is dragged across the head faces during fast wind. A good if rather fiddly habit to get into if you need to rewind an entire reel is to remove the tape from its normal path and thread from spool to spool via the left tape guide only, for fast winding. Without the drag it’s quick to wind!

Bill
Old 1st Oct 2021, 6:30 pm   #53
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Ferrograph part missing?

Hi,
This is the dummy head fitted to mine. It states that FP14 is the replacement stereo head.
Hope this helps
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferro head 2..jpg
Views:	43
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	242488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferro head 4..jpg
Views:	43
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	242489   Click image for larger version