UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2021, 8:42 am   #21
G4YVM David
Heptode

Default Re: A horrible way to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Well, I like both of those installations, but the sheep one has the edge (who ewe calling?).

Any fool can wreck a decent old telephone by sticking a lampholder on it; it's not big and it's not clever. But these are fine - and salvageable!
Interesting...I was thinking "who the heck would think that is art?"...now I know!

Each his own. EWE have a diff'rent i taste to me...'wether' thats good or bad I'm 'gunner' have to think about...

D
Old 29th Oct 2021, 9:24 am   #22
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

In a reply to Test Desk, I do hope not going OT, but for some reason the flat twin cord on a small hairdryer (that is left permanently plugged in and switched on only when needed) after a few months has the cord twisted to such an amount it is quiet a bit shorter. Similar dangling unwinds it. When new, it was flat and straight, like any other double insulated twin flex. We are both right handed, should I have married a left handed lady?

On another note, a dealer I used to visit had pallet cages full of telephone handsets, cables and wall wart chargers. It was a nightmare trying to unthread any item that I wanted.
Rob

Last edited by CambridgeWorks; 29th Oct 2021 at 9:26 am. Reason: addition
Old 29th Oct 2021, 10:48 am   #23
The Philpott
Dekatron

-The 'phone cord twisting thing, i think, is the victim of those who routinely manage to rotate the handset thro' 360 between answering the call and ending it- swapping from ear to ear doesn't help since some will rotate the handset each time. These are probably the incorrigibles who scribble on other people's desks during a call- with the onset of hotdesking all workstations became equally fouled up!
One favourite juvenile jape was (and still should be) to remove the cord at both ends then make an internal call to the 'victim'. Blu-tak over the mic or speaker, ah yes, that was the other one. Not too off topic really, because the 'phones in question all made a full recovery and didn't end up attached to scaffolding in an art gallery. (...and...it was creative.)

Dave
Old 29th Oct 2021, 12:17 pm   #24
Refugee
Dekatron

A blob of whipped cream on the ear piece and call the extension as the victim is just sitting down.
Old 29th Oct 2021, 12:33 pm   #25
Radio Wrangler

It's beginning to look like we've milked those 'installations' for all they're worth.

I think the pistol one was lacking something.... a table beside it with a red telephone on it would have 'given it some context'

David