UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2020, 9:55 pm   #1
john_newcombe
Hexode

Default The TELSTAR Videotex Service

I have just seen a few posts littered around this forum relating to V23 modems and Prestel etc. so I thought I would just introduce the TELSTAR videotex system for those that are not familiar with it.

The TELSTAR videotex system, developed in 2018, is a modern application that provides a simple viewdata/videotext platform similar to those that were prevalent during the 1980s such as Prestel. The aim of the system is to provide a Viewdata experience for anyone who is interested in how things 'used to be'. Services in the past typically provided access via the public switched telephone network (PSTN) connection and this is indeed how Telstar works, however, Telstar also makes use of a simple internet connection for modern internet modems.

Full details of the system and how to connect etc. along with some videos showing how to connect with devices such as the BBC Micro, Spectrum, Apple II and a Tandata terminal, can be found at the link below.

Enjoy!

https://glasstty.com/wiki/index.php/...ideotex_System
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	telstar.png
Views:	207
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	218454  
Old 21st Oct 2020, 12:04 pm   #2
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Re: The TELSTAR Videotex Service

This is right up my street, thank you for the link, its of particular interest to me because of the Prestel element.
Old 21st Oct 2020, 1:38 pm   #3
Reelman
Octode

A “hello” in advance to fellow Micronet 800 users then. Sounds fun.
Peter
Old 21st Oct 2020, 3:58 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

As mentioned by John Newcombe in this thread, the system can be accessed from a V23 modem on 01756 664433, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet - other than to confirm that it does appear to give the right sort of whistles when rung.
Old 21st Oct 2020, 6:31 pm   #5
john_newcombe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
As mentioned by John Newcombe in this thread, the system can be accessed from a V23 modem on 01756 664433, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet - other than to confirm that it does appear to give the right sort of whistles when rung.
The only thing that I would mention is that from the 14th November 2020 the dial-in service will be switched off as I am moving house during the following week and I will have to package up the modem rack for the removers. If all goes well it will be down for a week, if we end up in temporary accomodation, then its anyones guess.

TELSTAR can always be accessed over the internet using a WiFi modem or whatever as the main system runs in a data cenre in london as close as I could get to Baynard House.

Code:
glasstty.com:6502
glasstty.com:6503
see https://glasstty.com for more details.
Old 22nd Oct 2020, 9:03 am   #6
john_newcombe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
A “hello” in advance to fellow Micronet 800 users then. Sounds fun.
Peter
Jusr for fun TELSTAR also includes a packet switching type PAD which is on 01756 664434. This is detailed at the end of the Introducing the Telstar Videotex Service - Part 2' video, and allows dial in access to any internet/telnet BBS systems.

Enjoy!
Old 20th Nov 2020, 8:49 pm   #7
Eidolon
Hexode

I have this accessible on the ZX Spectrum Next via the NXTel program, but it, along with the other Prestel services other than NXTel itself, doesn't work right as of yet. I'm hoping an update will sort it out in time, as currently it only loads small parts of pages on most occassions.
Old 20th Nov 2020, 9:19 pm   #8
john_newcombe
Hexode

Just so that I am understanding, are you saying that Telstar fails when accessed over the internet with the NxTel client?

I vaguely recall that the NxTel client relies on each frame being transmitted in a single packet. Telstar doesn't have this restriction and uses variable length packets. I imagine what you are seeing is the first packet returned from Telstar and the NxTel client is assuming that this is the frame in its entirity.

Its just a guess though...
Old 20th Nov 2020, 10:31 pm   #9
john_newcombe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_newcombe View Post
The only thing that I would mention is that from the 14th November 2020 the dial-in service will be switched off as I am moving house during the following week and I will have to package up the modem rack for the removers. If all goes well it will be down for a week, if we end up in temporary accomodation, then its anyones guess.
Unfortunately we are in temporary accomodation so could be a few weeks yet as all of the modems are in storage... bah!

Full details are here https://glasstty.com
Old 21st Nov 2020, 2:46 pm   #10
Eidolon
Hexode

Quote:
Just so that I am understanding, are you saying that Telstar fails when accessed over the internet with the NxTel client?

I vaguely recall that the NxTel client relies on each frame being transmitted in a single packet. Telstar doesn't have this restriction and uses variable length packets. I imagine what you are seeing is the first packet returned from Telstar and the NxTel client is assuming that this is the frame in its entirity.

Its just a guess though...
I don;t really know the details. I got the impression that support for other systems other than NXTel itself was added on as an extra, rather than the main feature, and it'll be updated hopefully in time. But it often only displays very small parts of the page, often with random symbols and letters etc. It's a shame, as it would be very nice to have it working properly.
Old 12th Dec 2020, 8:55 am   #11
john_newcombe
Hexode

Quote:

Just an update re- the Telstar dial in service. We are stuck in temporary accomodation until 13th Jan. I expect the 'official' Telstar dial-in service to be up around 20th Jan which is when everything is brought out of storage. However, there are other ways to dial into Telstar. If you check Rob Craigs comments in the 'Introduction to Telstar' videos on my YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE_...npqSl0r_RJjIWQ) he has a Telstar PAD set up which will give dial in access to Telstar as well as other systems..

J
Old 14th Dec 2020, 1:46 pm   #12
electronicskip
Nonode

After our conversation , ive pulled out my Sony Viewdata Prestel terminal in readiness for your switch on around 20th jan.

If i can get the connection working i will post some pictures of the result.
Old 14th Dec 2020, 5:59 pm   #13
john_newcombe
Hexode

Brilliant, I will keep this thread posted.
Old 14th Dec 2020, 8:22 pm   #14
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I shall endeavour to have something ready for the restart too.