UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2021, 12:34 pm   #21

Default Re: BVWS Winter Bulletin

How about "Mines not here yet", it isn't.

Old 26th Dec 2021, 4:11 pm   #22
eddie_ce
Hexode

Without wishing to hi-jack this thread or wander off topic i would like to agree with Steve Hertz's comment regarding the calender.

It must cost a fair bit to produce and I wonder how many people would really miss it if it were to go. Personally I found the DVDs of old more useful and entertaining. The format of the calender is rather unusual and with so many calenders about nowadays do we really need it, I get an EMail informing me of BVWS events and details are also published in the Bulletin. I would much prefer the Society dropping the calender to counteract the need for any possible future rise in membership fees.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and hope everybody will have a much better 2022 than this year has been.
Old 26th Dec 2021, 4:17 pm   #23
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_ce View Post
Without wishing to hi-jack this thread or wander off topic i would like to agree with Steve Hertz's comment regarding the calender.

It must cost a fair bit to produce and I wonder how many people would really miss it if it were to go. Personally I found the DVDs of old more useful and entertaining. The format of the calender is rather unusual and with so many calenders about nowadays do we really need it, I get an EMail informing me of BVWS events and details are also published in the Bulletin. I would much prefer the Society dropping the calender to counteract the need for any possible future rise in membership fees.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and hope everybody will have a much better 2022 than this year has been.
My point was that I wasn't struck on the subject material for the calendar, not to drop it, although I see there is a point to be made if funds are an issue or could be better spent elsewhere. Back to the subject material, I get that photos of old radios have been done to death, but certainly to me, all said and done it's not a bad theme and there are thousands of pretty radio models out there to keep it going. What about photos of old radio manufacturers sites - or has that been done?
Old 26th Dec 2021, 5:31 pm   #24
kalee20
Dekatron

I think it's a good scheme for the calendar! After all, the posters and pin-ups were originally intended to be pinned up...

I've often offered my calendar FOC on this Forum. But this time, I think I'll be putting it up!
Old 26th Dec 2021, 6:24 pm   #25
newlite4
Octode

Having first proposed the BVWS calendar under members suggestions over ten years ago, I feel that it serves a good purpose. Not everyone keeps their bulletins, so the calendar provides a "web free" guide as to various BVWS events in a handy format.
The quality of the calendar is excellent with highly professional images initially by Carl Glover and now by Alex Hewitt, I look forward to the end of each month just to savour the next months image.
Regards the 2022 choice of subject matter, it must be noted that shop advertising signage is now becoming hard to find and fetches high prices. As such, it has become a part of radio and TV history in its own right as has R&TV badges. These images will serve to raise awareness of this forgotten part of R&TV history. I rather like what Alex has done regards the grouping of the badges, this helps to add interest to the subject matter.
Neil
Old 26th Dec 2021, 7:41 pm   #26

I like the calendar, it is the only one I use.

Old 27th Dec 2021, 7:34 am   #27
Gabe001
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvepower View Post
Hello,

Confession time regards the Stern’s article

It’s just been kindly pointed out by a good friend, and I’ve mixed up the 6J5 and the 6J7 in the V1 position. My drawing and text have it as a 6J7, however the original drawing has it as a 6J5 triode, which is correct.

I stand corrected and apologise for the error, I suppose I’ll have to sit in corner at the next swap meet and write out 100 times a 6J7 is a pentode and the 6J5 is a triode

Again, sorry for the error, but I checked it umpteen times - however, it’s the obvious that trips you up.

Hope Santa still comes tonight, and he's not put me on the naughty list for mixing my triode and pentode valves

Regards
Terry.
Yes I was wondering about that. Still, a good article
Which valve did you actually use in the v1 position, and what was your HT after smoothing?
Old 27th Dec 2021, 11:24 am   #28
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Not got mine yet, this years calendar has only a few days left (oh how I am panicking)
Check yours, MM - mine includes Jan 2022! So still another month to run
Old 27th Dec 2021, 12:51 pm   #29

So it does, typical of something done by engineers, built in tolerance for postal service times.

Still not here though (sad face).

Old 27th Dec 2021, 1:11 pm   #30
Valvepower
Octode

Quote:
Yes I was wondering about that. Still, a good article
Which valve did you actually use in the v1 position, and what was your HT after smoothing?
Hello Gabe001,

Thanks for the nice comment. I must admit doing an article like the Stens restoration gets to be quite an undertaking and gets complex, especially, in the final stages of writing it up and having to compile it, and no matter how many times I check it there will be something creep under radar so to speak. As we say at the factory, I was paid a visit by Captain Calamity!

To answer the questions:

I used the 6J5 triode as per the original circuit, although a 6J7 may have been better choice to get the gain up, however RF pentodes like the 6J7 where perceived to have lower audio quality. This is discussed in the S. W. Amos Article – RF Pentodes as AF Amplifiers in Wireless World June 1944.

Voltages (ref. components identifiers on the circuit diagram and with a 240V mains voltage)

C11 (reservoir capacitor) = 393V
C10 (filter capacitor and anode HT) = 286V
C12 (6SN7 decoupling) = 271V
C1 (6J5) decoupling) = 201V
6V6 Cathode end of R13 = 14V

As I said the Bulletin R17 gets mighty hot as its dropping 107V

Subsequent to sending the article for inclusion in the Bulletin I unearthed a circuit (attached) using an EF40 in the V1 position – a relative of the 6J7 , from a 1951 Mullard data book where you can see similarities to the Sterns 8-10. I feel the Mullard design of 1951 may have contributed to the Sterns 8-10. Mind you, Sterns went on to subsequently offer the Mullard EL84 5-10 amp as kit ‘as-is’.

Finally, another error has been spotted and thanks to the two chaps for letting me know, it’s really appreciated. It has been pointed out the K and Ohm error in the middle paragraph describing the power supply on page 22, and it should read… “Instead of a typical value of ‘say’ 100-200Ω the resistor is 1000Ω” … I have to say I just kept quiet on this one and didn’t say anything about this as I was already embarrassed about the 6J5/7 mix up

However, I remember checking that in the proofread and it was OK’… I had a look at my proof copy, and it was correct, so the only thing I feel could have happened is a corruption somewhere in the process after my proofreading the article, anyway these things happen.

Regards
Terry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mullard_Valve_Data_1951_10W_Amp.pdf (88.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 27th Dec 2021, 1:29 pm   #31
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
People's views on the latest issue are interesting, but after the first confirmation of 'copy received', do we really need a somewhat incidental, repetitive list of 'my copy has arrived'? I don't mean any disrespect to any such comments above, but I think I have a point and it maybe needs a 'soft' ruling.
For some of us the Bulletin arriving is a highlight. It is the only magazine in the UK dedicated to the subject now (no more Radiophile or Radio Bygones). It is nice to have something interesting to read that doesn't need a computer or tablet, and that contains complete finished articles rather than ongoing discussions.

I don't think the "me too" type comments are a problem and certainly do not see any reason to restrict them. It is quick enough to skim past the one sentence comments and read longer ones.

People don't want to post "spoilers" so generally don't comment too much on the individual articles, which is the right approach in my opinion.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 27th Dec 2021, 1:36 pm   #32
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_ce View Post
Personally I found the DVDs of old more useful and entertaining.
The only reason there are no more DVDs is lack of suitable source material that the BVWS can get copyright clearance for. It has proved impossible to get a definitive response from the BBC and the committee have given up trying.

I'm sure if enough suitable material became available (that we could get clearance for) to make an interesting DVD then we would consider it again.

Paul Stenning
Old 27th Dec 2021, 2:04 pm   #33
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

As Pauls says, it is a joy when the bulletin arrives. The only time it differs is when everybody bar yourself seems to have got there's!

Of course , I guess they are sent from the printers in batches, hence the time difference.
If the worst happens and missing or damaged a replacement is always sent on request.
Old 27th Dec 2021, 2:21 pm   #34
stevehertz
Dekatron

I don't doubt that there's much joy when the BVWS bulletin drops through the letterbox, it is for me too. I just don't see the point of multiple posts saying "mine arrived today". No problem though if that's what people want.
Old 27th Dec 2021, 2:41 pm   #35
David Church
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Of course , I guess they are sent from the printers in batches, hence the time difference.
They are all sent to the postal office in one batch, any delays would be the local post office guys.
Old 27th Dec 2021, 3:44 pm   #36
slidertogrid
Octode

I have nothing but praise for the magazine, well written articles that I find very interesting. I have learned lots over the years. I always use the calendar and I used to enjoy the DVD films. I really appreciate the effort put in by everyone!
The only reason I don't contribute articles is that I fear they wouldn't be good enough! My copy arrived just in time for Christmas.

Rich
Old 27th Dec 2021, 3:57 pm   #37
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

Just my two penn'orth, where I can see both sides of the discussion regards the calendar …

I feel there has been a slight shift in what is collected in the world of vintage wireless, audio, and electronics, where the ephemera is gaining more interest, all right I personally feel it won’t become as collectable at the the equipment itself, but the interest in ephemera will grow.

There is a lot of interest by younger folk in vintage equipment, but it has to relative to what they know and understand in their own world, that is for example; a young guitarist will be interested in valve ephemera in relation to both modern and also vintage guitar amplifiers, so for example they would appreciate the ephemera of ‘say’ a true vintage 6V6 etc., whereas they won’t be as interested in the 1940’s-50’s wireless receivers they were actually used in. Alright this isn’t the most eloquent of examples, but it’s the only way I can describe it.

The pop culture of the 1960’s (crikey that was 55 years ago) is also generating quite a bit of interest in the (wireless) ephemera of the time as the ‘swinging 60’s’ advertising and marketing industry was established by the middle of 60’s so there is a lot of advertising and marketing ephemera out there,

I’m now starting to find when later mid-century modern (hate that phrase) vintage equipment is discussed on a Radio and TV programmes there is interest in the advertising and promotional ephemera as in the equipment itself.

Regards
Terry
Old 27th Dec 2021, 4:16 pm   #38
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Personally I like the calendar, because it is different but still very relevant.

It is all from one person's collection, and features items we don't see that often especially in this quantity.

I think the calendar is a good way of sharing the photos at a decent size. The other option would probably have been a few pages in the bulletin where they would have to be smaller, which wouldn't do them justice.

Paul Stenning
Old 27th Dec 2021, 5:17 pm   #39

When mine comes I will say it has, a quarterly delight. It doesn't need charging to read!

Old 27th Dec 2021, 7:17 pm   #40
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post

It is nice to have something interesting to read that doesn't need a computer or tablet.
Ah, now that's something that would be really useful to be able to do from my point of view!

As I live in several different places, it often takes quite a while to catch up with the magazine, so being able to download it as a PDF and read it on the laptop would be really handy.

Both the car clubs of which I'm a member have this facility - I get an automated email to tell me when the latest magazine is ready to download, go to the website, log into the members area and there it is!

I don't know if other members would find this useful and whether it's an idea worth exploring further?

This issue is a case in point. Due to Covid, I'm not going to see the magazine for some weeks or the calendar either for that matter. I always use the calendar as a month planner as its big enough to write on and the whole month is on one page. Obviously, I'd like to see more pictures of TV's but then I'm rather biased!!

I would also like to add my praise for the work Alex does in producing the Bulletin and to the many contributors who make it what it is.

All the best
Nick
Closed Thread