UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Dec 2020, 3:20 pm   #1
Andrew B
Heptode

Default A curious Xmas present.

I received this curious panel as a present today. My friend spotted it on eBay and decided that it would be a great present for a radio amateur's spares box. It looks to be a NOS RF/IF panel out of an aircraft judging by the valves in it. I wonder if anyone can identify what it's from ?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03378.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	223125   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03374.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	223126   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03375.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	223127   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03376.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	223128   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03377.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	223129  

Andrew

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 25th Dec 2020 at 3:40 pm. Reason: you can say eBay :)
Old 25th Dec 2020, 4:27 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: A curious Xmas present.

Late 1950s by the look of it. It could be from something like a Canberra, which were retired relatively recently, hence the retention of archaic spares, though I'd have expected the original valve avionics to have been upgraded decades ago. Maybe somebody with recent RAF experience could comment.
Old 25th Dec 2020, 4:32 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Also in a Shackleton according some picclick photo's, a listing says from a Marconi ADF unit:

https://picclick.co.uk/Vintage-radio...l#&gid=1&pid=6

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 25th Dec 2020 at 4:41 pm. Reason: extra info
Old 25th Dec 2020, 4:40 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Also retired relatively recently. Were the RAF really still using this technology in the 21st century? We're supposed to be living on Mars by now.
Old 25th Dec 2020, 5:57 pm   #5
Andrew B
Heptode

Thank you Gentlemen, following your information I found it WAS part of a Marconi ADF unit. The quality of construction and the parts used it must have cost a "pretty penny" when it was new. All of the mica caps have individual values written on them, the valves are all "CV", gold bases, lots of useful parts for the repair of other "doofers/gubbins".

Andrew
Old 30th Dec 2020, 4:52 pm   #6
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Were the RAF really still using this technology in the 21st century? We're supposed to be living on Mars by now.

Quite possibly, Valve technology is immune from the huge magnetic pulse created when a nuclear bomb is exploded.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 30th Dec 2020, 5:02 pm   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
Quote:
Were the RAF really still using this technology in the 21st century? We're supposed to be living on Mars by now.

Quite possibly, Valve technology is immune from the huge magnetic pulse created when a nuclear bomb is exploded.
... and the pilot is flying using only one eye, with the other is heavily protected!

B
Old 30th Dec 2020, 5:25 pm   #8
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

The old valve radar was still used in the Shackletons in the 1980's I think, they were used in an anti submarine role, there's some info in this video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elENLa01XHA

Andy.
Old 30th Dec 2020, 6:39 pm   #9
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Also retired relatively recently. Were the RAF really still using this technology in the 21st century?
They sure were.

The attached are photos from a much later design - a VHF/UHF amplifier in my collection. It is MOD/ RAF, highly ruggedised against shock and EMP.

I think this is mid-1980's? Anyone?

This is hybrid tech, with transistors, a nuvistor and a valve on-board.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0955.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	223521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0956.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	223522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0954.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	223523  

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 30th Dec 2020 at 7:04 pm.
Old 30th Dec 2020, 8:44 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

AEW/coastal-patrol Shacs were really obsolete in the 60s, but they had their service-lives repeatedly extended because their 'Nimrod' replacements failed to meet requirements. AEW3 program was - rightfully - abandoned but other variants continued in service [with catastrophic results].
Old 30th Dec 2020, 8:54 pm   #11
The Philpott
Dekatron

I am no longer surprised by technology still in use that in reality is already subject to supercession. (Especially where the military is concerned.) Typically we only get to know that it has soldiered on for so long after it has been removed and disseminated.
There are a lot of dusty corners. For no particular reason i am reminded of Iraqi operated tanks during the Kuwait/Iraq crisis that were using RR Meteor engines.

Dave
Old 30th Dec 2020, 9:10 pm   #12
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Interesting to hear that, Dave.

It suddenly occurs to me, in the light of your insight, what if the module I'm showing in post #9 was only retired from a military aircraft in 2011?

The dates on the MOD record strip now pictured below, are stamped out from the integers 1 through to 10.

Is that possible, anyone familiar with this design? I know nothing about such numbering, so it could just be successive inspections at whatever intervals, not related to calendar years. Just curious.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0957.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	223525  
Old 30th Dec 2020, 11:10 pm   #13
ex seismic
Heptode

The MOD record as shown is what modifications the piece of equipment has had fitted. Not everything gets every modification.
Old 31st Dec 2020, 12:47 pm   #14
David Simpson
Nonode

Well, I'm flummoxed. And feel such a tit, being ex 8Sqdn. AEW Shacks at RAF Lossiemouth, for not recognising it. The AEW Radar was ex Gannet & before that ex Neptune. Can't for the life of me remember the designation number. The squadron aircrew & the groundcrew avionics guys were half Navy/half RAF. The Navy guys looked after the thumping big radar, & me & my lads looked after the Air Comms equipment. We had Collins 618, ARC52, good old Radio Compass, AYF radio Altimeter, & ILS. In the mid 80's, 10 years after I left, they had a major upgrade & possibly Marconi-Elliot ILS/VOR & PTR370 was fitted. Must've been late 90's when they disbanded. WX963 still lives on at Coventry Airport, having been returned to MR2 status.
I bet the ref. no. & AP could easily be looked up on the huge VMARS Online Documentation Index.

Regards, David
Old 31st Dec 2020, 3:46 pm   #15
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I suggest that module is from a Marconi AD712 ADF receiver. I don't think there is anything in the VMARS archive, though.

Andy
Old 31st Dec 2020, 4:23 pm   #16
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

David, that sounds like an interesting period to be in the service. David and Andy, just checking , I’m pretty sure you are now referring to the module I’ve posted pix of?

Anyone comment on the reasons for this interesting cluster of hybrid tech ?

...and any theory about the approx date of manufacture and length of service life?

Andy , what was equipment was the AD712 RX used in specifically ? (taking ADF to mean Automatic Direction Finder?)

Much appreciated.

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 31st Dec 2020 at 4:33 pm.
Old 31st Dec 2020, 4:34 pm   #17
lesmw0sec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
Quote:

Another reason where anything that flies is concerned, is the long haul to get anything new type approved, etc...
Old 31st Dec 2020, 4:48 pm   #18
turretslug
Dekatron

As Les says above- lots of hoop-jumping. Also, when an aircraft is in serial production, fitting the current-technology avionics with its bracketry, cabling, interfacing etc. is a routine and documented part of the overall production process. 30 years on when the avionics is looking a bit steam-age, many of those aircraft have been pensioned-off, some sold to "second-tier" countries, an unfortunate fraction have crashed.... Only a few are still in service, scattered around squadrons whose techs are thoroughly familiar with it, they've ironed out the bugs and know how to get the best out of it. Updating takes stuff off the front-line for some time and has to be done piece-meal and expensively- there have to be pretty pressing reasons to re-fit (it does happen) or the new stuff has to be seriously better than the old (again, not unknown).
Old 1st Jan 2021, 12:44 am   #19
David Simpson
Nonode

The fact that it just has a 10U reference number, probably means it pre-dates the introduction of the super long NATO numbering system introduced in the 60's. Could well be good old "Radio Compass", but don't ask me frequencies or circuitry details - I've completely forgotten.
As for the RAF using previously thought of as obsolete equipment - the AEW Shack's Radar was first used in US Navy Neptunes at the end of WW2, & seemingly the likes of Ferranti, Marconi & Plessey later on could never beat it's performance. I can remember working on a Marine Craft in Cyprus in '68 or '69 which still used 1154/1155. Supposedly, some of the Vulcans who set off for the Falklands in '82 also still had 1154/1155, not even STR18. Also still in use in '74 or '75 I remember was the old 10channel 1985 series of VHF's, long after the introduction of ARC52.
Hey - Blazin Fiddles is now on BBC1 - and we know the Guitarist - Anna Massie.

All the best for the New Year, David
Old 1st Jan 2021, 10:33 am   #20
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Just to clarify, as I realise my reply in post #15 above was ambiguous, I'm saying I believe the module in post #1 came from a Marconi AD 712 Automatic Direction Finder Receiver.
In RAF use this system was ARI23084, the receiver Stores Reference was 10D/23299.

Andy
Closed Thread