UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2020, 4:26 pm   #181
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: Bodges

I admit that I am tempted to make the cable safe, test that the metal work is isolated and toast a single piece of bread before using it as an exhibition only unit.

Peter
Old 14th Sep 2020, 4:31 pm   #182
G6ONEDave
Octode

And don't forget the metal fork to remove the stuck toast and the rude awakening when you realise that the toaster is still plugged in! or , those were the days of not a thought of one's safety.
Old 14th Sep 2020, 8:36 pm   #183
Herald1360
Dekatron

Given the rather splendid toast the second side arrangement, it wouldn't be very likely that the toast extracting fork would get into contact with the element.

Just fit an RCD type plug to that nice twisted pair cotton covered flex
.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Sep 2020, 9:32 pm   #184
JohnBHanson
Heptode

And this was in Worthing, done by professional electricians.

http://81.105.120.101/cgi-bin/picind...email_0001.jpg

Sad my tax pays for this....
Old 14th Sep 2020, 11:23 pm   #185
KeithsTV
Nonode

Whenever someone says "get the professionals in" I can't help thinking of Bodie and Doyle from the TV series. Mind you they may make a better job of it!!

Keith
Old 15th Sep 2020, 12:48 am   #186
AC/HL
Dekatron

Being a professional is no guarantee of quality. We had a new kitchen fitted in our last house. It was fine, but we had under cupboard lights, nothing complicated just fluorescent strips. The professional electrician used what was obviously reclaimed cable. Perfectly safe and fully signed off with the relevant chitty, but a little off.
Old 15th Sep 2020, 9:34 pm   #187
MrBungle
Dekatron

That's about right. I do my own house wiring and my electrician (a friend) just signs it off if it's notifiable for a nominal fee. He says I do a 10x better job than he does!
Old 15th Sep 2020, 11:23 pm   #188
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinaston1 View Post
Sort of Bodge.

In the 80's our company would all types of musical instruments to mail order companies.

One day, a very expensive DSP guitar processor was returned as "faulty" The culprit had removed the electronics and glued some knobs onto the front panel, then returned the cabinet to the mail order company as faulty for refund.

When I reported the facts to the mail order company, I was told it is quite common, but they would not prosecute as it is bad for customer relations.
This sort of thing used to be common with Freemans. A friend worked for a company that repaired and checked their electrical returns before they were resold in their discount shop. The most common was a clapped out old vacuum cleaner returned in the box of a new one. different make and usually years old. Toasters, mixers even portable TV sets!
He would notify Freemans and the answer was always the same. Dispose of it and cross it off the repair docket as a write off...
Old 17th Sep 2020, 12:51 pm   #189
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I claim no expertise but I must admit, I've raised a few eyebrows at some electrical work I've seen. Sometimes I've spotted the fault when the sparky couldn't and then had to make a "I wonder if it is anything to do with that?" suggestion.

I wouldn't consider doing other than the most rudimentary replacement work now. The important thing these days is to have the certificate.
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 3:20 pm   #190
thealarman
Diode

I used to install house alarms, did it for nearly 30 years, I will never forget the first house alarm I did, it was in Hockley in Birmingham, I had run all the cables and was about to fit a magnetic contact on to the back window. it was then she warned me about the window and showed me her handy work. She had only wired the metal window frame to the mains. This woman was a nurse at the local hospital, she had been broken into 3 times in 6 months, how desperate can you get. Absolutely shocking. Not radio related but I thought it was worth sharing.
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 5:38 pm   #191
AC/HL
Dekatron

This is far from a bodge. Whatever the provocation, and we can all sympathise, this could lead to a charge of manslaughter, or even murder as it's premeditated. She's lucky she didn't seriously injure a tradesman.
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 6:36 pm   #192
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Is it a bodge - or a sensible, pragmatic rework - to use half a bridge-rectifier as replacment for two separate no-longer-available-except-at-a-silly-price-from-a-source-of-questionable-trustworthiness power-diodes?

If so, then today I did a bodge.
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 8:40 pm   #193
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Definitely not a bodge. A sensible, pragmatic modification like you said. I did something similar recently.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 8:50 pm   #194
bigfathairyvika
Hexode

Many years ago when I used to visit my Great Grandma, she used to connect her clothes Iron into the ceiling lighting using two crocodile clips.
Was this the way it was done then?
She lived to the ripe old age of 104.

Mark
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 9:10 pm   #195
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Definitely not a bodge. A sensible, pragmatic modification like you said. I did something similar recently.
That's kinda nifty.

In the past I've also salvaged a "1Kv 6A" supply-side bridge-rectifier from a computer SMPS and fitted it into the Octal valve-base of a failed valve HT rectifier, using only 2 of the 4 diodes in the bridge.
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 9:43 pm   #196
turretslug
Dekatron

Not a bodge at all! Compared to trying to find a pair of now long-obsolescent stud or press-fit diodes (often possible but at a king's ransom from anywhere half-trustworthy), or either two single or one double TO220-type diodes of appropriate polarity- less easy to connect and questions of isolation and poor thermal transfer and contact area to consider, the integrated bridge package wins from several viewpoints. Easy mechanical fitment, connection and good contact area, lots of choice and low cost. I suppose the main caveat is that off-the-shelf integrated bridges probably aren't intended for use much above 400Hz (perhaps?).

I have actually seen integrated bridges used for full-wave bi-phase applications by respected OEMs.
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 9:46 pm   #197
greg_simons
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinaston1 View Post
Sort of Bodge.

In the 80's our company would all types of musical instruments to mail order companies.

One day, a very expensive DSP guitar processor was returned as "faulty" The culprit had removed the electronics and glued some knobs onto the front panel, then returned the cabinet to the mail order company as faulty for refund.

When I reported the facts to the mail order company, I was told it is quite common, but they would not prosecute as it is bad for customer relations.
When i was doing the sony camera returns we just used to get the boxes, no contents!.
Greg.
Old 6th Oct 2020, 11:21 am   #198
nigelr2000
Heptode

I had a look at an Amstrad Stereo 8000 amplifier today, check out the dubious mounting of the mains in tagboard!!! and it looks original
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	217178   Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	217179  
Old 6th Oct 2020, 11:24 am   #199
Station X

Not to mention the knot in the mains flex. Quite common at one time.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 6th Oct 2020, 12:07 pm   #200
turretslug
Dekatron

Talking of mass-produced bottom-of-barrel horridness, the Sinclair integrated amp that was in a big box of assorted auction junk I once acquired featured the connector sockets used on olde-worlde HT batteries as mains outlets! I expect he'd bought them by the hundred-weight from some surplus wholesaler. The overall dreadfulness of the thing left me gawping, the lowest-bid mains transformer had lams that looked as though they'd been cut with blunt tin snips, it had left much of its wax puddled on the base. I scrapped it, the only useful things within were the BA screws.

How did anyone get away with flogging that sort of thing?
Closed Thread