UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2020, 9:31 am   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Saved from the tip.

An good friend rang me to ask if I wanted a Roberts radio and then added there are some tape recorders as well, did I want them, I had to think a while about two seconds, he also has a Grundig system that is also destined for the skip, that is going to be delivered later today.

Oops sorry Tilly for encroaching on you bed. Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0009.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	216231  
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 11:36 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Saved from the tip.

Great stroke of luck! interesting looking machines there. Amazing to think someone would bin them.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 11:58 am   #3
electronicskip
Nonode

Well done!
Those tape recorders are in demand by retrogamers like myself for loading cassette based games .
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 12:03 pm   #4
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Blimey that brings back memories. In 1972 (aged 16) I worked in Windows music shop in Newcastle as a Saturday and Christmas holiday salesman, and I used to sell exactly the things in that box!

Craig
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 2:38 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

My parents had the same Philips N2213 cassette machine, bought in about 1978.

A bit gimicky (the record LED, prerecorded tape flag, pinch roller window etc) and plasticy, but utterly reliable and made reasonable recordings from dad's hifi (except for the AVC pumping) via the 5-pin DIN socket.

The two position tone control also selected mic/aux input, which was a bit confusing at first.

The only let-down was the inbuilt mic picked up a lot of motor noise, and my parents never invested in a standalone one. And no tape counter, which was a PITA as the main reason for its purchase was for listening to prerecorded cassettes of short pieces which my brother and I were learning on the violin and cello.

Happy days!

Nick.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 4:14 pm   #6
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Great stroke of luck! interesting looking machines there. Amazing to think someone would bin them.
Yes, but it happens!

I think you're going to like what I'm about to show you below.

These 5 Sony TCM-939 Tape recorders in original manufacturers package 5x box, complete with their Bush branded noise cancelling desk microphones, some still sealed in their packages, which were heading for a skip when I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I just happened to be on my way to look in the skip at a certain place when I bumped into someone also on their way to the skip who'd been instructed to throw this lot into it, and knowing what I might be interested in, offered them to me first and also to save him the trouble of walking the last fifty yards to the skip, of course I accepted the gift. This must have been around a decade ago, give or take a year or two either way.

Pictures shown below, the first one shown separately is one that I use regularly for recording odd bits and pieces off CB/Ham radio etc. - if I need to. All the others haven't had any use for years and have been in my downstairs store room until just now. I think the next job will be to power each one up in turn (of the other four), just to move the belts and mechanisms a bit and make sure they still work. I suspect that at least a couple of them hadn't had any actual use at all before I got given them - an unusual and complete set, other than three of the power supplies are Sony, but two are Sanyo:-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1130913.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	216261   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130914.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	216262   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130915.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	216263  

Last edited by Techman; 23rd Sep 2020 at 4:21 pm.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 4:45 pm   #7
vinrads
Dekatron

And there's more ! , my friend turned up with this. I think Christmas has come early , inc speakers all in very good cosmetic condition ,not plugged anything in yet , the third pic is a fan which when the back is closed up cools the amp , yep it was destined for the skip after all the excitement I think I need a cheers Mick.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0013.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	216265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0014.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	216266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0015.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	216267  

Last edited by vinrads; 23rd Sep 2020 at 4:54 pm.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 4:48 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

Another nice haul. I have a few of those TCM939 units, some came from a friend whose language school were getting rid about 2 years ago. Sadly they are AC bias or permanent magnet erase if I recall, which makes for rather poor recordings. On the plus side they have cue and review and a tape counter. I think they were available new until very recently, probably the last shoebox type machine you could buy.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 5:14 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That Grundig's lovely! Please write up a success story for us.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 5:23 pm   #10
Techman
Dekatron

Some more saved from the same skip, but a while later from someone who offered them to me first:-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1130923.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	216274   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130924.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	216275   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130925.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	216276  
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 6:02 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I'd rather have that cute little dog. J.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 7:08 pm   #12
vinrads
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
That Grundig's lovely! Please write up a success story for us.
Hi Nick It's on the bench already , one spk burnt out , strange , the amp work's ok no dc on speakers , not sure if there is a protection cct looking for a cct now . Mick.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 7:22 pm   #13
Techman
Dekatron

I spun the four Sony recorders up on forward and rewinds, I didn't bother with a tape, so they'll be ok for another ten years of storage.

I did try the last three shown with an 'appropriate tape' especially for Ben (I think he's pretty much guessed the previous use of these old machines from what he's said) and they worked perfectly, other than one of the ITT models having what sounded a bit like a noisy motor, which I remembered from the last time I tried them. They've got four jack sockets fitted, two in each side, guessing for some sort of paralleling up for multiple recording of tapes. The Tandberg works very well, but doesn't have auto stop, which you would possibly think it would have had.

A success story of multiple cassette recorders saved from the tip/skip - or a cassette recorder collectors thread?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1130926.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	216284   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130927.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	216285  
Old 24th Sep 2020, 5:37 pm   #14
Glowing Bits!
Octode

It's surprising what people will chuck out, there's a good chance most of that stuff will work.
I've been trawling Ebay in recent times for tape machines (don't ask, it's nostalgia kicking in) but refrained from buying any, the place is cluttered as it is.
If the OP feels like parting with anything, please do offer it to the forum, then I may show an interest.
Old 24th Sep 2020, 7:44 pm   #15
Techman
Dekatron

Just saved these two from the tip!

Got a call this afternoon that it was the last call for these. Just got back home with them and shoved them both in the garage for the time being until I know what I'm going to do with them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1130928.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	216355   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130929.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	216356   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130930.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	216357  
Old 24th Sep 2020, 11:35 pm   #16
Techman
Dekatron

I've been outside to the garage to take another look at the TV and radiogram and snap several more pictures - not had the backs off yet.

I've known these two sets and their previous owner for probably over 35 years and I think that the TV was still being used into the 1980s, but hadn't been touched since the 405 switch off, so it was probably still working when it went out of use. In 'theory' it should just be 'plug and play', although I think it would be a very bad idea to do that without a few initial checks and tests first. I did tell him that I expected that the EHT winding on the mains transformer could well be open circuit by now.

As far as I know, these sets are one family owned from new and the owner was a former engineer, who, many years ago when he was younger, worked for Ekco at Southend, so he has worked on both of them himself to keep them going. He's had the radiogram working just recently, but found the radio performance was poor, so did a full alignment with his vintage test gear. He found that he couldn't peak one of the IFTs and suspected a capacitor O/C within one of the cans. He popped a 100pf across the winding external to the can and everything peaked perfectly, but the next day things had gone back to how they were. So it seems that the internal capacitor is intermittently making and breaking and is awkward to get at, so he gave it up as a bad job. He's also fabricated new rubber suspension for the pickup head, so it apparently plays records OK.

He moved house today and these two items were still at his old house and the new people had also just moved in and these items had to go. I had said that I'd have the TV off him a long time ago, but had been putting off collecting it due to fast running out of space myself. I didn't really want the radiogram, but had to accept it to save it - he's got no spare space at his new property.

Should be fun messing about with them
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1130932.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	216374   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130934.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	216375   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130938.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	216376  
Old 25th Sep 2020, 1:50 am   #17
Glowing Bits!
Octode

At least the cabinets are in good condition.
Much as I'd like a radiogram, they take up too much room, sadly.
Old 27th Sep 2020, 4:21 pm   #18
Techman
Dekatron

I've had the radiogram working. It's very down on gain and I received one and a half stations on medium wave with a few foot of wire in the aerial socket, but nothing anywhere else and what was there sounded distorted. I played a couple of 78s on the autochanger and it was low volume even with the control flat out and had certain 'resonances', telling me that the pickup head suspension possibly need further attention. It's an Ultra A115, which has a live chassis series heater design with a metal rectifier and a separate isolation transformer in the bottom of the cabinet - picture below. The table radio version was a straight AC/DC live chassis model - there's a service manual with it.

I've looked inside the Marconi VRC52A TV and it's all complete (as I fully expected it would be, knowing its history). The dial cord on the radio is broken, but it's been like that for years apparently. There's no service information with this one and it's not on-line anywhere, but it seems to be the same or similar to the HMV 1851 etc. The only remembered fault when this set was in use was when someone wanted to watch a film on it in the 'other' room, when the rest of the family wanted to watch something else on the 'modern' telly in the main room and it suffered frame collapse due to oscillator failure. There was just time to do a quick bodge by tapping 50Hz from the valve heater line and feeding it directly to the frame output valve giving a good watchable picture, albeit with a heavy hum bar rolling down the screen. I asked him if the lash up was still in place, but he said he repaired it properly later with a replacement oscillator valve. This just shows what can be done when needs must!

Another thing he told me (I've seen him since, as I went to have a look at his 'new' house, actually not new and had actually been empty for the past 15 years and he's moved straight into it, but amazing condition considering) was that the set once had to be transported either from, or too, Burgess Hill and he completely dismantled it, including the cabinet, which was flat packed, and then reassembled it again at destination. I would never have know if he hadn't have told me, so again, this shows what can be done when needs must...I was quite shocked when he told me this - I'll have to look closely at the cabinet to see if I can spot any evidence of this major dismantling and reassembly from the very distant past.

Pictures below - first three of the TV, last one is of the radiogram innards:-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1140003.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	216498   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140004.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	216499   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140005.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	216500   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140006.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	216501  

Last edited by Techman; 27th Sep 2020 at 4:32 pm.
Old 27th Sep 2020, 4:31 pm   #19
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

About the Philips N2213, I seem to recall it was rather good for learning musical pieces.
Wasn't it possible to skip backwards by pressing the rewind key during play?
I remember that was a much better arrangement than the 3way key used on an EL3302 - clunk whirr clunk!
Old 27th Sep 2020, 4:49 pm   #20
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Another nice haul. I have a few of those TCM939 units, some came from a friend whose language school were getting rid about 2 years ago. Sadly they are AC bias or permanent magnet erase if I recall, which makes for rather poor recordings. On the plus side they have cue and review and a tape counter. I think they were available new until very recently, probably the last shoebox type machine you could buy.
You're right what you say a bout these, it's just that they've obviously had very little use that makes them nice little recorders for making just general recordings round and about. I was quite surprised to note soon after I was given them that they were still being sold new at that time, but had not checked since. Cheap and cheerful, but do the job!
Closed Thread