UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2018, 8:30 pm   #21
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips TX mono portable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Not seen one in Spain. The couple of 12v monochrome ones I have collected have been squat/square black cased jobs.
It would be interesting to know if Philips Spain (later to become Tecnimagen) had their own small screen B/W chassis. They did design their own low end colour chassis to use instead of the CTX chassis. I think it was called CTZ.
Old 12th Nov 2018, 8:44 pm   #22
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by linescan87 View Post
Now I knew I had another one of these around, sadly it hadn't faired as well as it has a cracked cabinet. As I was preparing them picture, disaster struck, a massive hum bar on the one I fixed yesterday. After a bit of head scratching around the power supply, the penny dropped. Sure enough, the switch in the dc socket on the back was intermittent. Thanks too Tim for mentioning that earlier.

An opertunity too compare the two sets side by side, they appear to have different crts fitted. Although the type numbers are the same (12VCUP4) they have different phosphor colours and the shape of the bowl is quite different.

Yes Daz, they are fitted with VHF/UHF tuners.
/07 is the execution for Ireland, so the fitting of a VHF/UHF tuner makes sense. The set in the second type label picture is unfortunately missing its date code sticker but if the serial numbers were strictly sequential it should be a later set than the set in the first picture which is from 1981. There may be a date code sticker on the chassis as well.

From which set is the picture of the tuner?

Regarding the picture tube, I think only Philips Taiwan made those 12VCUP4 tubes, but there may have been a design revision. If you ever happen to open up the sets, maybe you could have a look at the white stamped marks on the CRT bell.
Old 12th Nov 2018, 8:52 pm   #23
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
I've been trying to work out all the different places Philips made the 12 inch TX sets.

Singapore & Taiwan are listed on radiomuseum.org, but most other places Philips had a factory seem to have examples, though at least a 12B710 has a close up photo of the seriel number sticker with Made In England listed.
So far, I too have only sets from Singapore, Taiwan and Lowestoft on record. However there must be a connection with Krefeld as their code numbers appear on some TX circuit boards. I'm not sure if they ever produced any, though. They may have only been involved in the design. Other possible candidates for production would be Suresnes and Monza (where many predecessors of the TX were designed and manufactured), but I'm not sure. It was relatively cheep to import sets like this from overseas.

EDIT: I found a 12TX3001/02S with TX3 chassis, dated llate 1985, which was made in Ovar, Portugal. They may have also produced TX and TX2 sets.

Last edited by Maarten; 12th Nov 2018 at 9:04 pm.
Old 12th Nov 2018, 10:46 pm   #24
Pieter H
Tetrode

In post #1 DJ Fivos mentions Philips TV assembly in Greece. Do you have any more details on that? Impossible to find anything other than that Philips had a JV (85% or so) in Athens doing Audio and Video set assembly. All details or references are welcome.

By the way, in the next update of my Philips Tuner history will be a first - but probably still incomplete - overview of the Philips TV assembly fabs.

Cheers, Pieter
Old 13th Nov 2018, 12:29 am   #25
linescan87
Heptode

Thanks Maarten, I didn't know about the /07 as a designation for Ireland. Is there a list available online of all the designations?

The picture of the tuner was in the higher serial number set. As for the crts, the guns also quite different in construction.

Cheers, John Joe.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 1:21 pm   #26
Maarten
Dekatron

Execution numbers are somewhat of a mess, and the official documentation is mostly lacking. /05, /07, /13, /19 and maybe a few others are mentioned in video recorder service documentation sometimes. Also there's two systems and small changes and additions are made on the fly. I've been collecting them for some years now, I have to reorganize and compile a partial list one of these days.

About the different CRT's, it could be that one of them was originally based on a A34-xxxW design and the other on a Far East or US design but compatible. If you ever have the sets open, I'm interested in the codes.

The tuner being in the higher serial number set, sort of suggests that set could actually be the older one, as the tuner is dated week 38 of 1980. The low serial number set itself is dated week 16 of 1981. Of course an old stock tuner may have been used, but the difference is a bit larger than normal.

Last edited by Maarten; 13th Nov 2018 at 1:26 pm.
Closed Thread