UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2018, 11:23 am   #41
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Tonight's television

It's amazing what you find in attics: in the mid-1970s my parents had the original 15-year-old solid-fuel central-heating replaced by oil, which involved removing the water-tanks from the attic. Under the tanks we found several copies of the "Daily Herald" and a packet that still contained several by-now-very-flat cigarettes, both from the time the house was built.

As to the awfulness of 1950s broadcasting, I recall one of the Hancock's Half Hour episodes (programs which I myself always found dreary in the extreme) focussed on the dreariness of postwar Sunday afternoons.
Old 14th Nov 2018, 12:47 pm   #42
Skywave
Rest in Peace

BBC Radio / The Light programme:
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/light/1959-03-18

Anyone else remember Victor Sylvester & his orchestra? Geraldo? Pure nostalgia.

Al.
Old 14th Nov 2018, 4:42 pm   #43
Dave757
Heptode

Hi Al,

Maurice Winnick, Jack Payne, Debroy Somers, ah, the list goes on, - no, I
don't remember any of them, but I do love the music!

Kind regards
Dave
Old 14th Nov 2018, 10:35 pm   #44
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
It's amazing what you find in attics: in the mid-1970s my parents had the original 15-year-old solid-fuel central-heating replaced by oil, which involved removing the water-tanks from the attic. Under the tanks we found several copies of the "Daily Herald" and a packet that still contained several by-now-very-flat cigarettes, both from the time the house was built.
Behind the skirting board in the gas-meter cupboard a found a card from the 1930s that announced "We are now on the Telephone". The four digits after the PREstwich exchange name are the same today. Amazing considering the number of changes of ownership the property must have undergone.
Old 15th Nov 2018, 10:00 am   #45
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I remember most, if not all, of the programs broadcast by BBC Light in the late 50s, and, perhaps, unlike some members, enjoyed most of them (such a wide variety of music, comedy, etc.) I'd forgotten, though, that 'Pick of the Pops', used to go out on a Saturday evening - my recollection is that Sunday Afternoons was it's regular slot, after 'Sing Something Simple'. Maybe that was in the early 60s!
Old 15th Nov 2018, 11:28 am   #46
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

I believe that the wide variety of types of music so easily accessible on the radio was the reason that people who were brought up with that degree of variety appreciate a much broader spectrum of musical genre than the youth of today, most of which get easily irritated if they have to listen to anything other than their "thing", however moronic it may be.
I notice some shopping centres play only "classical" style Muzak to deter the more loutish of them.
Incidentally, Skywave (#42), Yes, Victor Sylvester's orchestra had a suaveness and smoothness all of it's own, and always seemed to be better "miked up" than most of the others.
My radio-minded friends and I used his music often to audibly judge amplifiers, speakers etc.
Sid Phillips was almost legendary at that time as a jazz clarinettist. Tony
Old 15th Nov 2018, 3:49 pm   #47
dr_nick
Triode

The programme at 9.00 pm 'Medical Officer of Health' was I think a quite well known (if you are in that line of business) docu-drama that simulated the control of an outbreak of smallpox in England.

I only know of the programme by reputation and would love to get access to a copy; but I guess that like many recordings of the time it will now be lost.

It was supposed to be very accurate on the detail, unlike the twaddle that Hollywood produces such as Contagion, that has me throwing things at the TV set.
Old 15th Nov 2018, 4:45 pm   #48
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Thanks for the info on the MoH programme, I had no idea what it was about, I would not have heard it when it was transmitted, I would have been be fast asleep by 9pm in 1954.
Old 15th Nov 2018, 6:03 pm   #49
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
- my recollection is that Sunday Afternoons was it's regular slot, after 'Sing Something Simple'. Maybe that was in the early 60s!
SSS seemed to be always on my Dad's car radio at the end of a long journey home from visiting my grandparents in Scotland. It always made me feel depressed.
Old 15th Nov 2018, 6:21 pm   #50
Pfraser
Pentode

TV, for me, is a case of 'less is more'.

Less background music, less jerky and hyperactive camera work, less jump-cut editing, less explanations of the bleedin' obvious or of what has already been explained, less flashy graphics.

Occasionally, a straight-forward documentary surfaces and delivers more information in half an hour than a more whiz-bang production would in an hour. Isn't it cheaper to concentrate on the essentials, instead of on frippery? Rather like Nombrex did!

Similarly with news. Can't anyone just read the news any more? Don't keep nodding at the camera or bobbing up & down. No need to look across at newsreader #2...no need for newsreader #2 at all! No need for gestures of feigned amazement or emotion.

TV used to be less distracting and more engaging. In fact, overall I'd say it was more demanding. Demanding is good, within reason.
Old 16th Nov 2018, 8:20 pm   #51
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The Killing of Sister George starring Beryl Reid is on Talking Pictures at midnight next Thursday into Friday morning.
Old 18th Nov 2018, 2:58 am   #52
ntscuser
Hexode

Default Re: Tonights television

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons View Post
Similarly on television, it was Thedee Lone Ranger and maybe other ITV programmes which would make me watch anything at all.
The Lone Ranger was a BBC import. I couldn't have watched it otherwise as we had a BBC-only set at the time. The earliest reference I can find is Xmas Day 1956 but it may have started here earlier.

From memory Have Gun - Will Travel, Davy Crockett and Hawkeye and the Last Of the Mohicans were also BBC imports. I wouldn't swear to it though.
Old 18th Nov 2018, 11:23 am   #53
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Re the link in the previous post.

I could get ATV where I was living in Manchester, but only the sound, and I used to listen to rather than watch the Tingha and Tucker Club, and also something called "Crossroads", before it became a National Institution.
Old 18th Nov 2018, 11:49 am   #54
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Re: Tonights television

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscuser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons View Post
Similarly on television, it was Thedee Lone Ranger and maybe other ITV programmes which would make me watch anything at all.
The Lone Ranger was a BBC import. I couldn't have watched it otherwise as we had a BBC-only set at the time. The earliest reference I can find is Xmas Day 1956 but it may have started here earlier.

From memory Have Gun - Will Travel, Davy Crockett and Hawkeye and the Last Of the Mohicans were also BBC imports. I wouldn't swear to it though.
My Dad an remember there was a Western on TV at least once a week for years.

I've noticed in many older programmes a generic western soundtrack being used for someone watching TV or a film when we can't see the screen.

It certainly used in Steptoe & Son and Open All Hours.