UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2018, 11:10 pm   #1
phykell
Tetrode

Question Cossor KU52 Rectifier Valves

I happen to have a couple of these from an oscilloscope which has bitten the dust unfortunately. Do you think they are worth keeping for a project or not?

They're apparently equivalent to GZ32, 5Z4G, 5V4G, and CV593 so I'm guessing they may be ideal in a guitar amp for the "sag" they provide, as opposed to a diode-based rectifier.
Old 15th Nov 2018, 11:26 pm   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Cossor KU52 Rectifier Valves

Absolutely worth hanging onto- the general GZ32/5Z4G family may not be as sought after and stratospherically priced as some U52/5U4G variants but they're still a diminishing resource and as long as there are guitarists and biddable audiophiles, the value will creep up and up.

Alternatively, just hang onto them as representative of one of the most widely used valve rectifier classes ever, there'll always be some piece of gear or another hobbyist to make good use of them.
Old 16th Nov 2018, 11:56 am   #3
phykell
Tetrode

Thanks for the reply - I had intended to sell them with some other Cossor valves hoping that someone could then use them for a Cossor scope (so unfortunate that mine was beyond repair). Sounds like I should keep them now though - I don't think the other Cossor valves are of any interest/value to anyone though one of them is a 63-SPT and was really important in WWII.
Old 16th Nov 2018, 5:37 pm   #4
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

All valves are of use to someone, never throw them away unless known to be duff.

Andy
Closed Thread