UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2023, 5:11 pm   #1
Jaybeez
Diode

Question JVC KD-D35 Stereo cassette deck

Hi

Only just found this forum. I have one of the above acquired over 30 years ago from a School friend.

Used to work fine, and gave the whole deck including graphic equaliser, turntable and tuner to my dear mother maybe 10 years ago. who sadly passed away recently hence my reaquisition of the stereo.

I’m trying to get the units working again and I’ve ordered a belt for the turntable as that had snapped but this problem seems a little trickier to solve! Can’t open the tape deck door and getting ng an intermittent clicking noise when switched on. As if something is still running.

Help / assistance appreciated

Many thanks JohnB
Old 11th Feb 2023, 7:20 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: JVC KD-D35 Stereo cassette deck

Hi John, it sounds like the mech is part way through its cycle, the belt is probably slack and not turning the fly wheel/s. Try turning the flywheel by hand, but don't force it. One way you will hear it going through the cycle, then try opening the door, not sure if this one has one flywheel or two.

Mick.
Old 11th Feb 2023, 7:57 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Agreed, almost certainly a knackered main capstan belt. The 'soft touch' mechs popular in the 80s relied on the capstan belt to operate the mechanism, and you get all sorts of odd symptoms when the belt gets tired. Often the belt isn't obviously slack or even slipping.
Old 12th Feb 2023, 9:00 am   #4
Jaybeez
Diode

Thanks vinrads and Paul. The main belt isn’t turning at all. Though the smaller white plastic wheel is turning. I’ve tried gently turning the wheel but it won’t stop or cut out the cycle. Is it a tricky job to replace the belt (if that’s the cause)? Maybe too slack?

I want to upload a short video of what it’s doing but does a video upload need to be of a certain file type ? and Max file size ?
Old 15th Feb 2023, 9:41 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
Thanks vinrads and Paul. The main belt isn’t turning at all. Though the smaller white plastic wheel is turning.
The white thing is likely the motor pulley, if it is spinning and not the belt is is because the belt is bad. You can try gently rotating the metal capstan flywheel (anticlockwise viewed from front of deck) to release the mechanism and free the tape. Then you can fit a new belt. Measure the old one and deduct about 10% for stretch.

Some photos of the mechanism (you can upload them here) will allow us to see how easy/hard it might be! For videos, just link to youtube.
Old 15th Feb 2023, 10:44 am   #6
paulsherwin

I don't know this deck well, but in general you have to remove some screws holding the capstan bottom bearing in place. This can be a bit daunting if you've never done it, but if you go slowly and carefully it's not too difficult. It's not like dismantling a clock where one mistake ends up with obscure parts scattered everywhere.

Dismantling the soft touch mechanism is much more difficult, but that shouldn't be necessary.
Old 15th Feb 2023, 11:24 am   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The service manual has a short reference to belt replacement in the motor removal section.

David
Closed Thread