UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2023, 4:08 am   #1
Rosshasavoice

Default How to remove capstan

Hi there,
I've been trying to get a Matsushita model RQ-102S tape recorder from the 60s working and while I was trying to clean it a bit, I found I couldn't remove the capstan sleeve, it seems to be a screw on but it already turns the way you need to unscrew it, I'm not sure what to do. I don't know how recently it would have last been removed but wouldn't be surprised if it was over a decade ago at least (it was my grandad's machine, has been in storage a long while). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 9th Feb 2023, 9:15 am   #2
brenellic2000
Octode

Default Re: How to remove capstan

It may be left hand thread. If 'stiction', gentle heat may help. Check to see if the are any grub-screws. Good luck!
Old 9th Feb 2023, 1:09 pm   #3
Analogue man
Hexode

If the capstan is above the tape it is unlikely to be a left hand thread as it would tend to unwind itself as it moved tape, if no grub screws present then try dribbling a small amount of IPA down between the sleeve and the capstan shaft and then try to the sleeve gently off. Don't be tempted to use pliers as these will damage the sleeve. Looking at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eui-Evzu2PU it appears that the sleeve is in fact held on with a screw on the top which I assume you have removed but if not a pair of pliers could be used to persuade the screw to move.
Old 9th Feb 2023, 4:33 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes from the video clip above and another similar YouTube clip the capstan sleeve (for 3 3/4 ips operation) is retained to the capstan shaft by the top large flat head knurled screw, unscrewing the screw anticlockwise and then removing it should allow the sleeve to be pulled off.

If sleeve is stuck then as stated above gentle heat or IPA etc should help to loosen it, maybe then helped by holding onto the sleeve with thumb and finger while capstan is rotating.

David
Closed Thread