UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2023, 2:23 pm   #1
PJay1966
Pentode

Default Tandberg 3300X Playback Issue

I've recently acquired another very nice condition Tandberg R2R deck this one is a 3300X. Before I dive into it I wanted to share the main issue and ask if anyone can offer any guidance or advice on a plan of attack to fix it. Basically all functions seem to work apart from playback which is really poor. There is a large amount of hiss distortion on the left channel (could be motor boating) and some slight background noise on the right channel but nowhere as bad as the left. I will embark on the usual cleaning of the tape path, switches etc and it could do with a relube but I was wondering of anyone had come across similar symptoms before?

I am thinking a bad cap somewhere or tarnished edge connectors could be the culprit?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 26th Apr 2023, 12:16 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg 3300X Playback Issue

Look at low value electrolytic caps in the preamps.
Old 26th Apr 2023, 12:18 pm   #3
Leon Crampin
Octode

And the lockfit transistors.

Leon.
Old 28th Apr 2023, 8:19 am   #4
PJay1966
Pentode

Thanks for the help I’ll take a look over the weekend.
Closed Thread