UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2023, 5:22 pm   #1
spamfritter
Pentode

Default Linsley Hood low noise cassette deck

Back in the late 1970's I had a misadventure when I purchased the PCB for the above item from Powertran electronics. I also obtained the PCB layout and component list so I more or less completed the board assembly but not the whole job -- a typical fallout of married life, job, children and a house to restore etc etc.

Fast forward to 2023 via multiple house moves etc I was looking through the boxes of components yesterday and found the board but alas not the paperwork for it. Having trawled the net and in particular this site, I have recovered copies of most of the paperwork off the net but unfortunately Mr Lindsey Hood never seems to have published the PCB layout that was supplied with the Powertran board. I believe Hart electronics also did the kit as well but both are now long gone.

So the big question and I know it's a long shot but does anybody still have a copy of the PCB layout ?

Another problem created from this site search (see https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=89402) is that I am also prompted to build some more kit for my new unused Collaro Studio reel to reel deck which has been in storage for literally half a century !

Last edited by spamfritter; 15th Jan 2023 at 5:24 pm. Reason: dislexic fingers !
Old 15th Jan 2023, 5:38 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Linsley Hood low noise cassette deck

The problem with making anything of the Collaro is likely to be heads. Once you've found those, the Stuart circuit would probably be favourite, although there was also a tape unit in Practical Wireless in the early 70s, of which the illustrated prototype used a Studio deck.
Old 15th Jan 2023, 6:06 pm   #3
spamfritter
Pentode

Yes you might be right about the Collaro heads that are fitted. I think they are only mono ones fitted at the moment.
Old 15th Jan 2023, 6:24 pm   #4
barrymagrec
Octode

I seem to remember that the Collaro head mounting is quite simple, it shouldn`t be too difficult to adapt to other heads though height off the headplate might be a bit limited.

It`s too cold to look in the loft at mine to get a better idea. (Also unused since 1969....)
Old 15th Jan 2023, 7:14 pm   #5
Mooly
Octode

I was just looking in the old WW High Fidelity Designs book. All the circuitry is detailed for the cassette deck but sadly no board layouts. All the ads are there of course... the golden days of the hobby I suspect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-15 181038.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	271548

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-15 181313.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	271552
Old 15th Jan 2023, 10:47 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Several people I know built linsley-hood cassette decks, I think with the powertran boards/kits. The one big difference is that Tandberg's plant in Haddington had just gone belly up, and RME, a surplus shop on Stockwell street in Glasgow had bought loads of excellent JVC-made cassette mechanisms from the clear out of stock at Haddington. They had the JVC 'Sendust head' which was rather good.

I don't know of anyone who still has one, or has retained the info. The JLH electronics was not exactly stellar. The powertran case was crude.

Sorry. Had info, but no longer do.

David
Old 16th Jan 2023, 3:24 pm   #7
Chris R
Pentode

Shortly before reading this post, I had been sorting through my "treasures".
Stored away in a container was a Hart Lindsley Hood cassette recorder kit, which I had mostly completed before putting it to one side to be finished later. That was around 1980. Also present is a pristine JVC cassette deck, in its original packing. House moves, change of work patterns and too many other projects seem to have intervened.
Hart do not appear to have provided a layout for the PCB's (mother and daughter boards) but provided step by step assembly instructions, with component numbers and their values.
These kits were obviously intended for use with the buyer's own ancillaries, such as case, audio amp., PSU, etc.
There are a number of printed sheets with it and I could probably scan or copy them.
I shall probably never get around to completing this, so wonder if there would be any interest in the kit and JVC deck?
( I have also found a never started Hart kit for an AM/FM tuner).

Chris R

Last edited by Chris R; 16th Jan 2023 at 3:33 pm.
Old 17th Jan 2023, 6:17 pm   #8
spamfritter
Pentode

Hi Chris R

Yes, I would appreciate scans of the documentation if you can do it.

I managed to finish my Linsey Hood FM tuner back in 1975 and I built it up into a unit with the Practical Wireless Texan amplifier. All still working well to this day but relegated to my garage workshop !

Chris H
Old 17th Jan 2023, 9:07 pm   #9
Chris R
Pentode

Hello Chris

I shall see how well they scan.

Chris R
Old 20th Jan 2023, 11:08 pm   #10
Chris55000
Nonode

I can use this, and my friend Mike Smith'd be interested in this, and have a go at making new layout drawings if there weren't any made – new PCBs'll be perfect for trying Denis's (Member "Pinorkel!)'s Inkscape PCB Drawing Tutorials on!

PM sent!

Chris Williams
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 3:39 pm   #11
spamfritter
Pentode

The pictures attached are some photo's of my powertran board as I assembled it many years ago. I can do dimensions if you need it. The big problem I have is that there are no assembly drawings or board layouts left from the 1970's in my piles of paperwork which I find surprising as I assembled the thing !

Chris R Thanks for the scans. They are I think from the Hart version but I suspect wireless world / Linsey hood would have done a one off board layout so this ought to fitClick image for larger version

Name:	PCB over01.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	272064

Name:	PCB under01.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	272065.
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 4:39 pm   #12
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
....Tandberg's plant in Haddington had just gone belly up, and RME, a surplus shop on Stockwell street in Glasgow had bought loads of excellent JVC-made cassette mechanisms from the clear out of stock at Haddington. They had the JVC 'Sendust head' which was rather good.

David
Blimey, I didn't know that Tandberg had an operation in the UK. What did they do there? manufacture (what) ? repairs/service? Were they using JVC cassette mechanisms? How big was the operation? Cheers.
Old 26th Jan 2023, 2:48 pm   #13
ajs37
Heptode

I built one of these Hart kits - I also built the Integrex WW Dolby noise reducer and the Nelson Jones FM tuner (I couldn't afford to pay for readybuilt units in those days!)

Last year, during the lockdown, I successfully resurrected it (along with the DNR and the NJ tuner - all now work pretty well - the tape mechanism only required a good clean - the other tape components were up to spec - which surprised me as I used it for a good 10 years.

Anyway - I still have the Hart Electronics assembly instructions, which do not include PCB layouts - I also have a copy of the WW article, but that only has a PCB layout of the motor control circuit. Let me know if you if i can help in any way.

It's a shame Hart 'went under' relatively quickly - their kits were very high quality - same as the Integrex kits
Cheers
Andy
Old 27th Jan 2023, 3:47 pm   #14
spamfritter
Pentode

Thanks for the offer Andy Chris R has emailed me a copy of the Hart written instructions . My Powertran board was never silk screened with component values so I must have had some form of board / component layout when I assembled it but 4 house moves etc. has almost certainly lost them by now. It's the board component layout that I need. Ah well !
Old 24th Apr 2023, 2:52 pm   #15
funkuncut
Diode

Is this anything like what you might need? I can take more photos if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A2D0C166-688B-453A-96BE-31A4550E2F4A.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	277296   Click image for larger version

Name:	9B82BA14-D9ED-4BFE-B757-712085C637CF.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	277297   Click image for larger version

Name:	CA7ADEEC-16E3-4BEC-B119-6B94B1A361B1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	277298  
Old 26th Apr 2023, 2:23 pm   #16
spamfritter
Pentode

Thanks but that is the Hart version, Mine is the Powertran version and the layout is basically on one board. Looks like I need to go right back to basics !

Chris
Old 28th Apr 2023, 11:14 am   #17
Station X

One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=200286

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread