UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2023, 5:24 pm   #1
Stevie342000
Hexode

Default Brenell MK6 Help

Hello I just picked a very good condition Brenell MK6 from an Auction in Warrington yesterday. Not got around to taking any pictures yet.

It has a few issues:
1. there is only one capstan as far as I can tell, it should have two should it not? It has the large one fitted.
2. All push buttons work fine and inter-lock fine as well as they should
3. the fast forward and rewind button are working fine.
4. I can not get the play control to turn - correction is now working fine however the speed change knob does not turn to 19Cms/sec. I have not forced it why does it not rotate? Does it need WD40, grease (what sort of grease - Lithium?) or does it need a bit of sewing machine oil on all the linkages?
5. how do I get the deck out of the case?
6. What is the best way to clean the brushed aluminium? (mostly grubby around the play control - the rest is mint not a scratch.
7. what is the best way to clean the rexine? (I assume it is rexine or leatherite?

Correction both the speed and play/record controls now work. I think it might have been damp. It's a bit stiff any guidance much appreciated and no I have not powered it.

My first project before I stall on the restoration of a shed load of Brenell tape machine is to sort out my lamp limiter and variac.

I am 99% sure that all of this has been discussed before...links to the appropriate posts would be useful thanks.

Any other guidance and assistance much appreciated. Other than the two controls mentioned which are a bit stiff and the slightly grubby aluminium and the case it is mint. Not checked the heads for wear though or to see if they are open circuit.

What components should I replace in the Brenell Transistor Tape Link...anything out of spec and all electrolytics.

8. What's the best thing to clean the switches with Deoxit?
9. The chrome trims are a bit rusty on both sides have some slight rust - I have Quick Glo Chrome Cleaner for dealing with that.

10. The final issue is the tape counter (not that it has much purpose) does return to zero and when I put it the machine into play it just makes a clicking noise - what's the fix here?
11. How does take the lower head cover off?

Much appreciated any help that anyone can give. There is hardly any dust inside, the right hand tape guide is slightly worn and the Cheney fasteners are in mint condition.

Last edited by Stevie342000; 10th Jan 2023 at 5:51 pm. Reason: I forgot
Old 10th Jan 2023, 10:24 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Brenell MK6 Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie342000 View Post

It has a few issues:
1. there is only one capstan as far as I can tell, it should have two should it not? It has the large one fitted.
According to this attached page from the Mk. 6 Operating Instructions the spare capstan sleeve is stowed in a pocket at the top of the deck.

I do not know if the Mk. 6 has a lid because the Mk. 5 stores its spare capstan sleeve on a post/stud in the lid. This can be seen in the first photo at Post 20 of this link. The third photo at Post 20 shows the spare capstan sleeve stowed (incorrectly) on the Supplementary Guide Pillar.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=171143

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2.pdf (914.2 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by DMcMahon; 10th Jan 2023 at 10:36 pm. Reason: Replaced jpeg attachment with PDF
Old 10th Jan 2023, 10:47 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

See Post 44 in the link above for more information about the Mk. 5 spare capstan sleeve stowage.

David
Old 11th Jan 2023, 12:20 am   #4
Stevie342000
Hexode

Thanks for the reply I had found my copy of the MK6 Manual and I have just read it.

I wondered what the little recessed screw was for between the left hand spool and the tape speed selector - the answer is that if turned clockwise it increases tape tension when using smaller spools.

The Deck is hinged apparently and I am assuming the two screws that the manual refers to are the ones on the Outside the large domed ones on the outer case top left and right?

I checked what the manual refers to but I did not find the smaller capstan but I will check again in daylight if we get any that is....

I did manage to get the lower head cover off it too was stiff but it came off in the end...going at it all gently.

The heads are only slightly worn let's hope them and the Papst motors are not open circuit.

There are still the other issues - like what lubricants to use and where to use etc etc as in 1st post.
Old 11th Jan 2023, 1:02 am   #5
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

7. This thread started in the last week.
Old 11th Jan 2023, 9:58 am   #6
brenellic2000
Octode

Sounds like it needs a simple strip down and reassembly using suitable lubricant on metal parts through lack of use. Be careful of the Bulgin knobs and their seized grubs screws; these can become very fragile. Force nothing!

The Mk.6 is an improved Mk.5. The biggest headache is o/c Papst motors and Bogen heads but with ingenuity, almost any head can be fitted! lt is rare for a deck to be found with high and low speed capstans and, if ex-BBC, head covers!

A Mk.6 Manual? I didn't know they issued one! They were down to typed sheets by that time! Any chance of a copy...?
Old 11th Jan 2023, 11:40 am   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie342000 View Post
4. I can not get the play control to turn - correction is now working fine however the speed change knob does not turn to 19Cms/sec. I have not forced it why does it not rotate? Does it need WD40, grease (what sort of grease - Lithium?) or does it need a bit of sewing machine oil on all the linkages?
I am not familiar with the Mk. 6 so can only advise in general terms.

Personally I would disconnect the linkage that connects to the Speed Change Knob to try and determine if the stiffness is in the linkage (s) or the speed change control itself.

If the speed change control is the culprit then try some gentle heat, WD40, penetrating oil etc. If you can get it moving OK into 19cms/sec then give it a good spray of IPA to clean off any WD40/oil. When the IPA has dried fully then use a fine oil on the shaft and a good medium grease on any ball bearing mechanism.

If the speed control is OK then investigate why the linkages will not move to the top speed position, stripping the linkage parts as required. Clean off any old grease. Relubricate with a good grease on sliding parts, Superlube is a favourite with many people, I use it, I also use Comma General Purpose NLGI 2 (Halfords Lithium based car grease).

If any of the linkages rotate around a shaft then after cleaning thoroughly I would use a good quality light oil to relubricate at the shaft.

David
Old 11th Jan 2023, 12:07 pm   #8
knobtwiddler
Octode

You’ll find that acetone is pretty much industry standard for cleaning anodised alloy – but be really careful near any plastic parts (tip: don’t go anywhere near them with it!). You might find IPA cleans it up well, and it won’t kill plastic. But if you’re looking for ultimate cleaning, acetone is the way to go.

I’ll second David’s advice re: WD40 only for freeing up seized assemblies. Once it’s done its job, make sure to completely remove it and re-lube with the correct oil or grease. PDP65 is regarded as one of the best oils for tape machine bearings, but it’s pricey in small amounts.

Deoxt D5 is my go-to for switches. Be careful around any kind of bearings with it. It's best deployed selectively where it's needed, i.e. contacts only. Use a dropper if need be.
Old 11th Jan 2023, 1:40 pm   #9
Stevie342000
Hexode

Thanks all but the main question is how do I get in to the machine. It looks domestic not BBC. It has the same Black Rexine or leatherette covering the lid is very square in a rectangular way.

I had found the Rexine thread and have shoe polish or leather restorer on my list of items to purchase.

I can pick up some Lithium grease from Halfords at the same time.

It's the same basic transport as the Brenell MK6 with improved flywheel?

I think it was sat in the cold in the Auction Warehouse it seems to be a lot freer now on the control knobs.

The rhomboid knobs are still available from RS online.

The plastic will go brittle over time, I was aware of this already.

STB2 data here: http://ukhhsoc.torrens.org/makers/Brenell/index.html
This link has Brenell Information including the MK6 manual P2 is at the end OK: https://archive.org/search.php?query=Brenell
Old 11th Jan 2023, 3:12 pm   #10
brenellic2000
Octode

Try agin!
The BBC used Mk.6 decks for their programme editors; they are a standard deck. The deck hinges at the back - release the two front side screws and lift! l l The deck mask may mayb also need to be removed knobs and all
Old 12th Jan 2023, 12:06 am   #11
Stevie342000
Hexode

Thanks will do but I do not think this is a BBC deck its not beaten up enough for that. I will try to release the side screws if I can find a screwdriver that fits, any idea of size? I take it you push down and it pops up on its hinges. I have two spare tape links as well which I got for a song as well.
Old 12th Jan 2023, 12:35 am   #12
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

As far as I know, the BBC used Brenells as office machines or for logging Morse transmissions at Caversham. The absence of "beat-up-ness" doesn't necessarily preclude it from a BBC history.
Old 12th Jan 2023, 1:05 am   #13
Stevie342000
Hexode

Did the BBC not tag everything? There is no sign of it being tagged at any point or any sign of them being removed either. There maybe something on the inside though.
Old 12th Jan 2023, 1:29 am   #14
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Yes, there are usually traces of BBC ownership, sometimes quite subtle. I think the Beeb had moved more towards Revox by the time the Mk6 appeared. I'd say the balance of probability is that it's a domestic machine.
Old 12th Jan 2023, 9:40 am   #15
brenellic2000
Octode

As Ted says, the BBC decks were standard domestic decks, mostly 10-1/2" Mk.610 mono for listening to pre-recorded tapes. They replaced the Mk.5. Low speed 15/16ips Brenells were used by GCHQ, mostly STB2 and presumably Mk.610 and Type-19s. Being hush hush, little is recorded of it, while the Baldock Mk.610s monitored unlicensed pirate radio broadcasts.

When a BBC deck arrived at Brenell for service, it was invariably minus head-covers, which Brenell replaced foc, before giving up the battle of wits!

No, the hinged deck was not spring assisted!
Old 12th Jan 2023, 10:30 am   #16
knobtwiddler
Octode

I've owned a bit of Beeb gear over the years. If you're lucky, you might find a small envelope inside that details its service history / if any mods have been performed. I currently have a Studer deck that came from the Beeb and I wouldn't say it's any more beaten up than one that could've come from any other radio station or recording studio. It came to me without head cover, which was annoying! If something is a professional piece of kit, then it can often have had a tough life. I would say that in general, Beeb kit tends to be well looked after. It might have a few miles on the heads though!
Old 12th Jan 2023, 11:46 am   #17
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenellic2000 View Post
When a BBC deck arrived at Brenell for service, it was invariably minus head-covers, which Brenell replaced foc, before giving up the battle of wits!
Was this because the BBC would leave the head covers off to be able to do regular head cleaning ?

David
Old 12th Jan 2023, 2:36 pm   #18
brenellic2000
Octode

It was more to do with precise editing with a white pencil. Head covers are a nuisance. Truvox had the answer - a flip up headcover-cum-splicing block!

Any chance of a photo of that Mk.6 and serial number for my Brenell records?
Old 12th Jan 2023, 4:07 pm   #19
Stevie342000
Hexode

Thanks all that was mostly what I had thought as well, I never should have sold my BBC Leeds Studer B62.

Ok so it is not spring loaded that is good to know. All I need to do is find a screwdriver that fits those big screws on the side.

At that point I would upload some pictures but working on other things at the same time as this. I am in the information gathering stage.

I would say it is not likely to be a BBC machine as it is not 10.5", I do have one of those as well. It was bought bare bones from Brenell as someone made a nice case for it.

The Head covers differ on the two machines I have the latest one does not have the silver ribbing on it nor the cut out on the lower head cover.

How many production lines did Brenell run for the then current models? I think they were done in batches of 50 or 100? I do not have your books to hand right now Brenellic.
Closed Thread