UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2023, 3:00 am   #1
renault5-gtl
Diode

Default Philips El-3534a rewind belt dimensions?

Hi there!

Restoring a mighty Philips EL-3534a reel to reel and I got this classic "gooed" rewind belt.

So, I am trying to get a new, generic one.

Can someone give me the dimensions of the belt?

Thanks!

Guillaume, Québec, Canada.
Old 10th Jan 2023, 12:57 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips El-3534a rewind belt dimensions?

It's been a long time since I've been inside mine, but I seem to remember the service manual shows there was a production change and that at least one of the belts was routed very differently (and was thus a different length). It would be worth confirming if I'm right and if so which version you need.
Old 10th Jan 2023, 4:19 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Looking at the Service manual it does show 2 versions of the rewind drive belt.

Original version (on WR00 units) is a figure of 8 crossover, modified version (on WR02 to WR05 units) is not figure of 8 and has a Guide Wheel added (I assume for belt tensioning).

Apart from belt part numbers, as nearly always, no belt dimension information is given.

So check to see what your WR0 number is (should be shown inside the connector side compartment) or if the Guide Wheel is fitted (shown on page 45 of the EL3534A/15 manual).

Manual can be downloaded here:-

https://www.service-data.com/section...tant-downloads

If you do not want to purchase a set of belts for your unit (such as online belt providers such as eBay) then you will need to use fine string or cotton and run it around the belt
location areas and get it to fit fairly snuggly and measure the total length (Circumference) and calculate the diameter. Most belts are sold by their ID (internal diameter).

Then looking at the various online belt sellers search for a suitable sized belt or get a set of miscellaneous sized belts.

David

Last edited by DMcMahon; 10th Jan 2023 at 4:31 pm. Reason: Typo correction
Old 12th Jan 2023, 1:17 pm   #4
ricard
Octode

I've never really understood how that figure-8-belt is supposed to work, the belt actually rubs against itself at the crossover point, which at least on the (non-original) belts I've tried tend to result in a dusty residue from the belt. Perhaps a special type of rubber was originally envisaged, which had just enough friction to do its job, but not enough to cause wear at the crossover point. Apparently Philips themselves eventually decided it was not a good idea, but I'm still wondering at how it managed to get past the design point.

On my EL3549A (same mechanics, mono electronics) I briefly tried replacing the crossed-over belt with one running in the new path, by adding a random idler somehow (the details escape me now). It worked reasonably well, despite that there was no pulley, only a knurled wheel, at one of the endpoints of the belt. In the end I decided I wanted it to be as original as possible so went back to the original design, but due to the rubber wear issue I'm not totally satisfied with that either.
Old 14th Jan 2023, 10:57 am   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

As you will know Ricard, many of the Tandberg models use figure of 8 drive belt configuration.

David
Old 16th Jan 2023, 3:23 pm   #6
ricard
Octode

True David, but there's a huge difference: In the Tandberg machines, the motor pulley (actually a double pulley with two separate grooves on top of each other) is at the crossover point of the belt, so the belt never makes contact with itself, running in separate grooves in the two directions. In the Philiips design, the belt actually rubs against itself at the crossover point.
Old 3rd May 2023, 8:54 pm   #7
renault5-gtl
Diode

Hi there!

Actually, I need the dimensions of THIS belt:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	277682

Anyone has it?
Old 5th May 2023, 3:23 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Unless someone has this model or a similar model where they can measure the actual belt, otherwise you will need to measure the belt run yourself and acquire suitable sized belt and/or get belt kit or set of miscellaneous sized belts as per general advice in Post 3.

Note - that sometimes Philips original drive belts are square section but the more common round section belts are generally fine as replacement.

David
Old 5th May 2023, 6:00 pm   #9
vidjoman
Dekatron

Unfortunately Philips never published the sizes of belts. Back in the day, a dealer just ordered the belt from Philips. Over the years, as these have failed, the only way to get a new one is to measure where the old one fitted. Look at the pulley and you will see by the shape if it was square or round. Most Philips belts were square as the surface area touching the pulley is greater.
Closed Thread