UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2022, 11:47 pm   #21
sourbiscuits
Pentode

Default Re: Coomber 393 Cassette Player/Recorder No Playback Sound

In all honesty, I have not tried the line input yet.. When I got the unit I recall trying to record but I used the mic input since it's a 6.3 and I did not have a DIN socket at the time. I recently realized the UHER 4000 RM shares the same inputs so I actually can use the same cables I made for the Coomber. I just often have trouble managing the signal levels between units and that's why I am thinking a bit ahead for no reason. I mainly record from a digital line out. That already has volume control so that's why I'm thinking I should be able to make adjustments. I just can't figure how auto levels work on any of my tape units..
Old 7th Dec 2022, 4:37 pm   #22
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I went to try line recording using unattenuated phono line tape outputs from my Cambridge Audio A500 amplifier but found that none of the tape control keys would do anything. Also not possible to eject the cassette.

This seemed identical to this clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilR5t-RrJ6A where he had to manually drive the head down from the up position, although the poster went on to change the drive belt when the problem occurred again directly afterwards. The poster also referenced the information on the label in the cassette space that says something like if you cannot fit cassette to power up, press play and then press stop. But this did not work for me, my label is virtually impossible to read (red writing very faint).

Opened up and found that the PB/Record head was in the raised position and I had to manually move the drive wheel to lower the head back down. All OK after that.

So it looks like there might be a common issue where sometimes the head gets stuck in the up position requiring manual assistance to correct.

Line recording worked very well, good quality loud playback.

When Play, Rewind or Fast Forward are operating, a pretty loud single click/pop is head from the speaker virtually straight after Stop is pressed.

David
Old 7th Dec 2022, 9:54 pm   #23
ben
Dekatron

See post 6
Old 7th Dec 2022, 10:41 pm   #24
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you Ben, when I was in there, the drive belt appeared good condition and reasonably snug.

If the head stuck up issue happens again I will try a replacement for the belt.

David
Closed Thread