UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2021, 11:53 am   #1
slangking
Diode

Default 1970's Sony TC-204 SD Tape Deck No rewind or Pause

Hi all.

I've inherited the above, seems to be OK in many respects but there are 2 issues:

(1) The pause button does not budge.

(2) When facing the unit pressing ffwd or rewind the right hand spindle turns anticlockwise for both, the left hand spindle does not rotate at all so I only have ffwd. I can't quite see but the l/h spindle looks like it has a groove for a small square section belt but from the service manual it is not so clear to me..

Video here:-

******************************7YXqLV9ns2NwE2Nv6

Photo here of where it looks like there is maybe a belt missing but if there is I'm not sure where the opposing pulley might be that it links to.

******************************d88PLcXUKmz3mjaw7

I've highlighted the belt slot - this might be a red herring, I'm not sure as the r/h spindle has a belt that drives the counter so maybe they just made the one part irrespective of if it had a belt or not (and if not maybe it should be driven / geared from behind - I've not taken it apart to have a look yet)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks..
Old 20th Jun 2021, 4:47 pm   #2
slangking
Diode

Default Re: 1970's Sony TC-204 SD Tape Deck No rewind or Pause

Just to add, I read on tapeheads that somebody else had the same issue and the rewind lever was seized (and/or the leaf spring was bent over the years). If the former i'm not sure how to unseize, I mean it rocks slightly but don't want to force it in case it's actually already rotating full range...

Here's the exploded view and actual image in case it jogs somebodies memory...

******************************BNuQNmUTNyxSDY239

******************************VXGbUw2LB8goWnPi9

Thanks again..
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 11:10 am   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes agreed very difficult from the Service manual to see how the supply reel table is driven in fast rewind.

David

Last edited by DMcMahon; 22nd Jun 2021 at 11:23 am. Reason: Typo correction
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 11:28 am   #4
slangking
Diode

Cheers for the reply David, I made some progress and rewind now working - had a post here on tapeheads which explains. Any idea how to progress further?

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=91285
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 1:11 pm   #5
Martin Bush
Octode

Two things...

Firstly, are you a fan of the Fall?

Second, and this is just a guess, does the Pause button work when pressed with the Play or record buttons? I may be completely wrong, but its the sort of thing I'd come up against and find the explanation isn't what I'd expected.
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 1:33 pm   #6
slangking
Diode

First - I was, I am 65+ live outings but I lost count along the line. Miss him and them so... I am also in (west) Oxfordshire btw having left my NW roots some time ago!

Second - The pause button just does not move down under any circumstances.
Closed Thread