UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2020, 2:25 pm   #1
Teeafit
Diode

Question Does anyone reclaim tape to recycle the materials?

The enforced idleness has driven me to deal with the mound of audio material clogging up my workshop. Some stuff I will digitise, but there's a lot of tape spools there which I want to be ruthless with (much to my wife, and my, suprise!)

But I don't want just to put them all in a skip... and anyway some of the material is (albeit old) copyright and best not allowed into the public domain. I do have an old Wiercliffe eraser, but it would be a mammoth task.

Is there any individual/company who will accept a van-load of material, destroy the recorded material, re-cycle the magnetic tape, spools and boxes and generally make me feel I've not just put all my past professional life into landfill?

GRAEME.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 2:40 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Does anyone reclaim tape to recycle the materials?

Magnetic tape is difficult to recycle. Why not offer it on here, or sell it on eBay? If you're concerned about copyright, you can just do a quick erase job with a bulk eraser or even a permanent magnet. It doesn't need to be perfect.

Anything with significant copyright issues is likely to have a cash value anyway.

There may be a forum member near to you who is prepared to take on the bulk erasing chore in return for some of the tapes.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 3:40 pm   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

PM sent.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 4:37 pm   #4
Teeafit
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Magnetic tape is difficult to recycle. Why not offer it on here, or sell it on eBay? If you're concerned about copyright, you can just do a quick erase job with a bulk eraser or even a permanent magnet. It doesn't need to be perfect.

Anything with significant copyright issues is likely to have a cash value anyway.

There may be a forum member near to you who is prepared to take on the bulk erasing chore in return for some of the tapes.
Paul —

Thanks, but most of this is home-listening music dub tapes, and the rest is off-air recordings of prestige interviews I did when I worked for Beeb local radio — very little of monetary value as content, or of interest outside the region.

But if there is anyone in the North East of England who can make good use of 1/4" tape, then I'd be only too pleased to bulk-erase it for collection and save the world's resources from going to landfill. But much of it will be full of edits... I basically only 'acquired' the tape that was too well-used for official reclamation.
Old 8th Apr 2020, 4:21 pm   #5
David001
Tetrode

I'd be interested in some empty 5" reels or tapes
Old 8th Apr 2020, 5:06 pm   #6
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Hello,

I could use some tape, for messing about with, esp re editing (some more) rather than use any of my good tapes. Could do some erasing, I have a simple bulk eraser which I believe will go up to 7" spools, but I confess I've only ever used it on cassettes.

Main question regarding the use of the tape - what sort of tape is it? My machines work better with some types than others. Maybe you no longer have any record of what it was, or the editing has mixed it up.

Anyway, I'm just up the road from you in Guisborough. Just the problem regarding the restrictions of the current 'emergency'

Geoff
Old 8th Apr 2020, 5:09 pm   #7
barrymagrec
Octode

A former boss of mine in the seventies used old tape as garden twine. Being ex BBC it probably wasn`t actually all that old....
Old 8th Apr 2020, 6:15 pm   #8
Teeafit
Diode

Thanks David001 and GeoffB17 — I'll PM you both.
Closed Thread