UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2020, 5:21 am   #1
ricard
Octode

Default Non-toxic head cleaning fluid

I recently saw a picture of a "Tandberg professional head cleaning kit", a cardbord box, containing little more than a couple of Q-tips, and a bottle of cleaning fluid. The fluid itself was long gone (as were the Q-tips), but what made me curious was the wording "Non-toxic vapour" on the bottle.

What cleaning fluid may have been considered non-toxic back in the day? I'm thinking early 70s by the graphic appearance on the bottle and box. Neither alcohol (ethanol) nor isopropanol (ipa) would be considered non-toxic, which would have been my primary choice for such a fluid. Or perhaps the concept of 'non-toxic' has varied over the years?
Old 29th Mar 2020, 8:03 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Non-toxic head cleaning fluid

Trike, trichloroethane was a possibility as a nasty that recognised early on, then xylene got banned. Both got used as headcleaners.

David
Old 29th Mar 2020, 12:14 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Last year with a Grundig TK 146 purchase, it came with an old head cleaning kit with a little bottle of cleaning fluid. I must locate it and see if it says what the fluid is.

I guess it is most likely IPA, will have to give it a sniff test. Photo taken at the time attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TK 146 tape cleaning bits.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	201749  
Old 29th Mar 2020, 12:18 pm   #4
paulsherwin

I guess it depends on how you define 'non-toxic'. Water is pretty toxic if you breathe it in.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 12:28 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The wooden stick in the photo above (it came with the cleaning kit/recorder) reminds me of some time ago when reading one of the old R2R manuals it stated to clean the heads "use a wooden stick and a cloth soaked in alcohol", which made me smile at the time, obviously before the days of cotton buds
Old 1st Apr 2020, 10:13 am   #6
Gulliver
Hexode

Compared to 1,1,1 trichloroethane....IPA was probably considered non-toxic. Note that the claim is that the vapour is non-toxic...no mention of the liquid.

I'd go with it being isopropyl alcohol which doesn't give off the toxic vapours that trike did. It also used t be sold as "zero residue head cleaner" by Tandy/Radio Shack.
Old 5th Apr 2020, 7:12 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Found the little bottle of MetroSound Klenzatape fluid, it definitely smells like IPA (not much left).
Closed Thread