UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2022, 12:39 am   #1
sourbiscuits
Pentode

Angry Tascam Porta 05 no sound from headphone output and meters not working

Right. So I've been digging through this unit already. I had another thread for a faulty fader. Ever since I figured that's the issue, I left the unit aside for a good month. I was seeking a replacement fader. I was literally about to order one and I just decided to go through things before I make the order. After powering it on I went for a test and realized the headphone out has no sound at all. The meters also did not indicate any signal on any of the channels. The led that indicates recording is armed was also not blinking. I went back and forth with this without any success. (around two weeks ago) Last time I left the unit everything was working. It literally stayed without even being moved. Tonight I just took it again and powerd it on. For a short moment the meters worked. Then I plugged headphones jack in and everything went out again as described... It almost felt like the headphone jack had something to do with it. I have obviously checked the cables everything is firmly plugged. I do not see any bad components. I tried moving things around without any success either. I am truly lost and don't know what to look or think of this. Please give me any suggestions what could be behind this!
Old 12th Dec 2022, 11:58 pm   #2
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Tascam Porta 05 no sound from headphone output and meters not working

I would guess that there is a dry joint on the board with the headphone connector that has interrupted the power to the front panel. I have a Porta 07 which had one or two bad joints which caused problems.
Old 13th Dec 2022, 1:06 am   #3
sourbiscuits
Pentode

Default Re: Tascam Porta 05 no sound from headphone output and meters not working

Ok, I thought about this, but wasn't sure where to focus on. What would be the best way to troubleshoot this? I also don't have the schematic which makes things more complicated..
Old 13th Dec 2022, 3:08 pm   #4
theredhouseinn
Hexode

I have had many vintage TEAC/Tascam units with bad joints.
If you look very carefully at the solder pad with the component wire sticking up through the centre, about half way between the wire and the edge of the solder pad you may see a very faint circular black ring, this is a break in the solder pad causing an intermittent connection. It is easily seen with the aid of a good magnifying glass.
John
Old 14th Dec 2022, 2:38 am   #5
sourbiscuits
Pentode

I am buying one tomorrow! I need to solve this.. I'll keep you posted!
Old 14th Dec 2022, 2:58 pm   #6
sourbiscuits
Pentode

Ok.. So I did a very thorough inspection today on both the mixer PCB and the main one (top and bottom ones). I re-soldered a few pads just in case as they looked a bit suspicious. I plugged everything back together and nothing seemed to have changed. Then I played around with the connections and nudged some components while the unit was on. My indicator was the red REC function LED. So as I was just nudging things I went to the caps placed on the small PCB above the transport mechanism. Then while nudging a specific one the meter and LED just went on again. I tried messing around with all the parts on that PCB but could not reproduce the problem again.. Once again, the unit is fully functioning now. Problem is, I don't know what solved it. It is again, back together with just the main screws off for easy access. I've left it on the same table it was.. and I will likely order the fader now so I can put in the one that's missing and hopefully be done with this unit once and for all. If you have any inputs on what might have caused this behaviour please let me know so I can further test/investigate and replace or repair anything while It's still opened up.
Old 4th Jan 2023, 10:52 am   #7
daweblack
Diode

Found your post during a search for info on the identical problem!
Mine simply quit working on reassembly following a tear down and cleaning of the transport. It came back for a moment when I took the board back out and then blanked again.
Line output still works, but no phones, no meters, no track arming light.
Frustrating. It is not easy to track down for sure.
When you say 'above the transport' do you mean on the power switch section or mixer PCB?
Old 4th Jan 2023, 10:36 pm   #8
sourbiscuits
Pentode

Oh hi there! Yes, the power switch pcb. I believe I touched some of the larger capacitors there. Yet again, I couldn't reproduce the same problem again.. so I never found out. I haven't powered it on since. I'm still waiting for the fader. I am suspecting it has to do with something that is in contact with the top panel being in contact with something of the bottom one? I can power it on agan this weekend to see how it is.
Old 6th Jan 2023, 7:12 pm   #9
sourbiscuits
Pentode

Do let me know if you get to something yourselff by the way!
Closed Thread