UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Dec 2022, 8:17 pm   #1
HowardB
Pentode

Default BSR TD2 - Fast Forward

An old friend has given me a Peto Scott Tape Recorder.

I think it's an MR64A Fanfare with a BSR TD2 tape deck. It works quite well except for an oscillation on playback and a problem with the fast-forward mechanism.

I have now replaced almost all of the electrolytic capacitors and this seems to have fixed the oscillation, so I'm just left with the tape transport issue.

The fast forward is not working properly. The left spool is not making contact with the small rubber roller. If I push the spool slightly toward the right, I can get it to connect with the rubber roller and this gets the fast-forward going.

Could it be that the rubber roller has worn down, causing the gap?

I have Trader Sheet 1545 for the recorder and 1510 for the Tape Deck;
They suggest that this might be caused by the R.H. support arm spring being strained or detached. Or the R.H. support arm being tight on the pivot.

From what I can see, the spring is definitely attached. I would like to delve deeper and examine the support arm and spring but I can't access them.
I'm thinking that I need to remove the plastic Spool Carriers but cannot see how this is done.

From the exploded diagram I can see that the deck has a gazillion parts so I'm not that keen on disassembling the whole thing. I'm looking for a quick and easy solution if that's possible!

Grateful for any guidance you can offer.

Thanks,
Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221230_163243.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	270582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fast-Forward.Gap.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	270584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220623_175450.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	270585  
Old 30th Dec 2022, 9:16 pm   #2
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: BSR TD2 - Fast Forward

This brings back memories. This model was the first tape recorder that I purchased, way back around 1960. Unfortunately I gutted mine, replaced the deck with a Collaro, & fitted a rec level meter...

It's a long while ago, but they are fairly simple things to work on. Your TD2 is a later model.
The spool carriers are held in place with circlips, which I think are accessible underneath through a slot in the bottom of the chassis.

David.
Old 30th Dec 2022, 10:28 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

You say fast forward but do you mean fast rewind ?

You show the control lever in the fast rewind position.

In fast forward the Take Up spool holder (right hand side) should move to the left to make contact with the rubber idler.

In fast rewind the Supply spool holder (left hand side) should move to the right to make contact with the rubber section of the motor pulley.

You need to remove the chassis from the case, make sure mains cable is unplugged first. You may have to remove the loudspeaker wires to get the chassis fully out.

Then see what is at the underside of the spool holders. I do not have a TD2 machine but do have a TD-10 machine which is somewhat similar. On my TD-10 the right hand spool holder is retained by a circlip. The left hand spool holder is retained by the tape counter drive pulley on my TD-10.

With the appropriate spool holder removed then can see/get access to the support arm which may well be stiff/not moving fully due to dried/gummed up grease .

David
Old 31st Dec 2022, 12:32 am   #4
HowardB
Pentode

Thanks David.

Of course, you're absolutely right, it's the fast-REWIND that's not working.

Moving the control knob left should cause the tape to fast-rewind from the right spool to the left spool. [O <-- O ]

The left spool is just not moving far enough to the right to contact the rubber section of the motor pully.

I'll have a go at removing the circlips tomorrow and report back.
Old 31st Dec 2022, 10:18 am   #5
af024
Octode

I bet the spool holder 'swing-arms' are seized up. Time to remove them and degrease/re-lub methinks.
Old 31st Dec 2022, 10:49 am   #6
ricard
Octode

Agreed, af024. This is a typical problem on this deck.
Old 31st Dec 2022, 4:20 pm   #7
HowardB
Pentode

OK, that wasn't too bad!

As suggested, I removed the circlip underneath the deck and removed the left spool carrier to reveal the left support arm, [item 30 on Trader 1510].

This part is supposed to move relative to the connecting link [item 52] but was a bit gummed up. I cleaned it and applied some silicon grease.

I also experimented with replacing the spring [item 35] but in the end, reverted back to the original.

Happy to say that it all works nicely now. Fast-rewind restored. Not bad for a machine that must be over 60 years old.

Thanks to you all for your advice. Another one sorted

Howard
Old 31st Dec 2022, 5:53 pm   #8
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The TD2 is a remarkably competent budget design, its cardinal virtues being simplicity and accurate machining where it matters. Coming into a market where the competition was the Collaro and Motek three motor designs at something like twice the price or transports like the Walter, where the wow was measured in per cent, its success was swift and well-deserved.
Old 1st Jan 2023, 10:50 am   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Good result, well done.

David
Old 1st Jan 2023, 4:41 pm   #10
af024
Octode

Good news Howard!
Old 6th Jan 2023, 12:39 am   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by af024 View Post
I bet the spool holder 'swing-arms' are seized up. Time to remove them and degrease/re-lub methinks.
Today on my Elizabethan LZ34 # 2 machine (TD10 tape deck) I have found both swing arms are seized solid on their mounting shafts, having quite a job trying to free them up.

David
Old 6th Jan 2023, 8:04 am   #12
Borderer
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by af024 View Post
Today on my Elizabethan LZ34 # 2 machine (TD10 tape deck) I have found both swing arms are seized solid on their mounting shafts, having quite a job trying to free them up.

David
Careful application of a heat gun will usually free them - a combination of expansion and softening the old grease. My feeling is that light machine oil is better for re-lubricating these decks than grease. It works for me anyway.

Last edited by Borderer; 6th Jan 2023 at 8:10 am.
Old 6th Jan 2023, 10:45 am   #13
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes heat from hair drier this morning got them freed up, they are now removed for cleaning properly, going to strip all the associated mechanisms which are very dirty.

Will use a light machine oil on the swing arm shafts, will use a light grease on sliding contact areas.

The swinging idler that drives the flywheel is very stiff in one direction, so is not moving to make contact with the motor pulley so will strip that as well.

David
Closed Thread