UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2023, 8:39 am   #1
Gel38guitar
Triode

Default Sanyo M1150 6v wall plug?

Hey guys, i wanna order a 6v adapter for my sanyo, but i'm curious how many 'Ah' should it have? I don't want to overload the aparatus, but i also don't want it too low. Or is any universal adapter good?
Old 4th Jan 2023, 1:35 pm   #2
Analogue man
Hexode

Default Re: Sanyo M1150 6v wall plug?

Ah is a rating of a battery rather than a charger, basically it tells you how many amps can be consumed for how long.

The current rating of an adaptor needs to be at least that which is consumed by the appliance but if it is higher it doesn't matter. What is critical is the voltage which needs to be exactly that which the appliance requires, so if the appliance needs 6v then it must have 6v but if the appliance drains 250ma then any adaptor which supplies 6v at 250ma or higher will work. Make sure though, that if the appliance requires DC then that the adaptor puts out DC.
Old 4th Jan 2023, 2:31 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

This is a personal cassette machine, apparently made from 1979.

It needs 4 x 1.5V batteries, so I would guess that a regulated 6V power supply with a current rating of 300mA (or more) or so would be more than ample.

"Linear" would be more likely to work well than a "switch mode" one, but these are rare new nowadays. However, charity shops and recycling bins will be full of them. You might have something lying around at home if you are a bit of a hoarder like many of us!

Note also that the POLARITY is important, i.e. which way round + and - are. Get this wrong and you may destroy your Sanyo. The circuit diagram that the centre pin should be positive.

Similarly, the precise dimensions of the plug which goes into the Sanyo's socket are important. Often manufacturers used standard sizes, though sometimes they went for weird specials which are hard to match.

Overall, you might find it easier to simply run it off rechargeable NiMH cells.

N.
Old 4th Jan 2023, 2:45 pm   #4
Gel38guitar
Triode

Thanks for the input guys! Really helpful
Closed Thread