UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2005, 4:43 pm   #1
geefunk
Retired Dormant Member

Default two pin plug problem

hi all
am totally new to reel to reel so please bear with me. have just picked up a Philips Automatic, Philips 4370 and a 4308 for the bargain price of £15 for all 3! anyway, the 4307 +8 aren't really working, the power comes on but the play, etc. mechanisms aren't really doing anything. am hoping that can be (fairly) easily fixed, as i think they may just be sticking....will come back to those. the Automatic (all it says on the case, no numbers or anything) has an old two pin plug that slots into a case that would go into a light socket (am aware that this was done back then). would like to try and change the plug, or re-wire it but the exposed wires aren't colour coded (earth, live, etc) but are just the normal white light fitting flex. have taken the back off to see if i could solder normal cable to the circuit board, but again don't know the right way to hook it up-so any help would be really appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Old 7th Mar 2005, 6:06 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: two pin plug problem

Hi Geefunk, these units were produced using a "double insulated" technique so it does not matter which way round the wires are connected. They were ususally fitted with a 2 pole switch as well. There was often a small tag that could be connected to an earth point if there was a high hum level, but I never found this necessary to use. The lack of an earth reduced hum loops when other equipment was connected to the recorder. It did not prevent a shock if the recorder was linked to an AC/DC set as a cousin of mine did; then sat on the radiator and tried to operate the tape recorder controls while being thrown across the room!!
Ed
Old 7th Mar 2005, 6:12 pm   #3
paulsherwin

If the cable is in good condition and you want to retain the original plug, you'll find that it will fit in a shaving adaptor. A modern 13A plug is often too big to fit in the cable compartment of portable equipment.

HTH, Paul
Old 7th Mar 2005, 10:07 pm   #4
reelguy
Heptode

Wink Re: two pin plug problem

Hi Geefunk, Re Philips Automatic.4307 and 4308 ..About the other point you may ask about.!!! You may well find that the motor runs ok and that the electronics are working, But the usuall fault is that the belts have dissolved into a gooey [?] mess.. If so and before cleaning it all off[Messy job] make a drawing of the position of the belts path .Saves trying to work it out afterwards... Reelguy
Old 7th Mar 2005, 10:13 pm   #5
geefunk
Retired Dormant Member

thanks for your help guys-have changed the plug and got the Automatic working-sort of. the left hand spool turns but not the right hand....no idea how to fix it. so it plays but only if i physically turn the right hand spool to take up the tape....
opened up the others and the 4308 has turned into a gooey mess-(cheers reel guy!) but the 4307 has the belts and switches on, but just doesn't turn?
anysuggestions about what to clean the goo with? have it all over everything at the moment-nasty, like oil (which suppose it is).
Old 7th Mar 2005, 10:41 pm   #6
reelguy
Heptode

Talking Re: two pin plug problem

Hi Geefunk, Cleaning up the mess !!!! Ideally you will need disposable gloves and a Big box of tissues . I usually use surgical spirit [from chemist or pharmacy] for cleaning but only after removing as much as possible of the goo with a small wooden or plastic scraper. If the goo gets on your clothes or hands it takes ages to get it off. the 4307 although it still has its belts they be stretched or starting to dissolve. Dont despair though as belts are available from places mentioned on the Vintage tape postings previously. Otherwise try O rings if you can get them big enough .. Good luck and have fun. {Been there Made a mess!!] reelguy
Old 8th Mar 2005, 6:59 am   #7
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Just to add to the belt problem, I have an original large belt for these machines, one in great condition if your interested.

Closed Thread