UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2022, 3:38 pm   #1
coopzone
Hexode

Default DAC90 help

Ok, so I acquired a DAC90 and am in the process of restoring it.

However, while I was just checking a few resistors i noticed a discrepancy on the trader sheet, R19 "Surge limiter" is 150ohm. But the one in this set reads as 8.2ohm. It's one of the dog bone type - do they ever go out that far? especially "down to" ?

Also does anyone know the best way to clean smokers nicotine brown, this one is really bad. Everything on the chassis is brown.

Thanks

Derek
Old 4th Oct 2022, 5:28 pm   #2
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default Re: DAC90 help

Screwfix's degreaser is good stuff, wear rubber gloves though. I've used it on several valve radio chassis with excellent results. Wash it off thoroughly afterwards.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...ser-5ltr/88668

I've seen old 'dog bone' resistors go low yes, some high, some still within tolerance. I think the original is 1W from memory.

Andrew
Old 4th Oct 2022, 5:59 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopzone View Post
R19 "Surge limiter" is 150ohm. But the one in this set reads as 8.2ohm. It's one of the dog bone type - do they ever go out that far? especially "down to" ?
Firstly what does the colour code read (assuming it's still readable)? Secondly, when in doubt, disconnect one end of the resistor and measure it again. Unless obvious from the circuit, it might be in parallel with other components. The resistor might be connected across the scale lamp(s) in which case the total will be the resistance of the lamps in parallel with the resistor.
Old 4th Oct 2022, 7:13 pm   #4
coopzone
Hexode

I'm not sure it's the original resistor. Someone has worked on the radio befor, for example the smoothing cap is an RS-Componets one.

The resistor has no markings, i assumed they had "burnt" of with age, but not so sure.

It has been checked out of circuit and it reads 8.2ohm

I've ordered a 5w 150ohm one.
Closed Thread