UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:30 pm   #1
Retrotechie
Pentode

Default Sony MDP-850 laserdisc-laser assy detached

Help, hoping someone can help here.
Whilst removing the nichicon psu on this unit for repair, my hand had nudged against the laser assy and there was a clunk and it had become detached from the runner.
I can’t for the life of me clip it back in. I have the service manual and tried the methods described, but it just becomes detached.

Any thoughts ? Nothing looks broken or snapped.

The laser assy on this model runs along a toothed track, which curves round, it can play both sides of the disc, without having to take the disc out !
Old 6th Jun 2020, 7:32 pm   #2
Retrotechie
Pentode

Default Re: Sony MDP-850 laserdisc-laser assy detached

I had a closer look today and part of the sled on the laser assy has broken clean off. I have araldited it back on, so fingers crossed.

I checked Sony spares and of course this part is discontinued, as well as the ribbon cable that attaches it to the main board. Crucially, this fatigues over continued use and my fiddling around probably hasn’t helped.

On the plus side, the psu works, however, the display doesn’t work-which has always been faulty since I got the machine. Hopefully, just some dried up caps.
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 9:11 pm   #3
Retrotechie
Pentode

Working a treat now. For information, the nichicon power supply had some bad caps and dry joints, and the display pcb had bad 47uf blue elna capacitors, though I replaced a couple of others for good measure.
I noticed there’s a surface mount cap in the laser assy, but it doesn’t seem to be causing any problems, which is surprising given how notorious these silver surface mount caps are for failure !
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 9:39 pm   #4
Superscope
Octode

Well done, for getting it all back up and Running.

The thought of having to repair a Laserdisc Player is a frightening thought.

Fortunately my Pioneer is still working Ok at moment, but I often think of
when, not if, it decides to retire on me!

Ian
Closed Thread