UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2019, 1:43 am   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Camcorder Imager Failures?

Hi!

I thought I'd ask this one as I've two cheapie camcorder projects as my summer holiday projects!

Steve Beeching wrote an article on fault–finding CCD imagers, using the circuitry around the uPD3525C Imager used in the JRC7 as an example, (article on ARH, "Television" 1990 but I can't remember the exact issue) – I do remember Steve quoting "a green stripe down the left hand side of the display indicates failure", can any Member explain why, and what other manifestations of imager failure are there?

Is it still possible to obtain and fit replacement imagers, or is it far better to look for a "parts mule" and replace the whole imager PCB assembly?

I'd be interested on other Member's experiences with imager devices!

Chris Williams

PS!

Do CMOS Imagers show the same sorts of failure symptoms as the original CCD types?
Old 15th Jan 2019, 7:18 pm   #2
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Re: Camcorder Imager Failures?

PS!

In asking the question in my first post – just to clarify – obviously any green stripes in a camcorder's imager output obviously means the device is unserviceable, but I'm curious to know in what aspect an imager fails (from a technical point of view) to cause it!

Chris Williams