UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Dec 2018, 12:02 am   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default CRT is brighter to one side [Hitachi CTP213]

Hi, on my searches for a CRT tv, I came across a TV which is close, and in my price range. There is an issue with the tube where roughly 1/4 of the screen is brighter to one side.

Is this just a "setting" issue (I think its called convergence, I could be wrong?)and needs to be adjusted correct again or something else?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l160033.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	174241   Click image for larger version

Name:	55.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	174242  

Last edited by 19Seventy7; 9th Dec 2018 at 12:04 am. Reason: Added extra image.
Old 9th Dec 2018, 12:19 am   #2
DangerMan
Heptode

Default Re: CRT is brighter to one side

It doesn't look like a convergence issue, in fact it looks like a PIL tube which has no such adjustments, or very few.

Many sets used a 200V supply for the RGB output stages which was rectified from a winding on the lopt usually, or sometimes a winding on the smps transformer, synchronised with the lop stage. In such sets the reservoir capacitor for this supply can dry out causing the 200v to "droop" between flyback pulses... with symptoms exactly as is seen here. So possibly a capacitor fault.

Pete
Old 9th Dec 2018, 12:25 am   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

So would you say to buy and just test capacitors and replace any which need replacing?

I'm happy to do so, as capacitors aren't too tricky.

Thanks
Old 9th Dec 2018, 12:25 am   #4
1100 man
Octode

Hi,
This would seem a pretty good candidate to me- being Japanese it will probably be more reliable than something British from the same era! I can't tell whether it's a delta tube or a more modern PIL type. The convergence looks spot on to me so it's probably a PIL tube.
The shading, although it's not too obvious from the pictures, is a fault and not an adjustment issue.
The supply to the tube's first anodes will be derived from the line output stage and will have a smoothing electrolytic capacitor. If this has failed it could give this symptom.
It could be a number of other things but should be perfectly fixable. Between the lot of us we should be able to point you in the right direction.
I would say if it's nearby and a sensible price it's probably worth getting, but only you can decide if it's worth a gamble!

Good luck
Nick

Dangerman- you can obviously type faster than me! We are obviously thinking along the same lines though!

Last edited by 1100 man; 9th Dec 2018 at 12:27 am. Reason: extra text
Old 9th Dec 2018, 1:17 am   #5
19Seventy7
Octode

Thank you for your replies. I'll definitely try and get it.

I'm glad I've FINALLY found one!

I'll post an update of whether I get it or not.

Thanks
Old 9th Dec 2018, 6:05 am   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

You've got to love that vintage ultrasonic remote.
Old 9th Dec 2018, 11:27 am   #7
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I'm sure in the past I have found shading to be due to an o/c A1 decoupler but probably on earlier sets than that.

Peter
Old 9th Dec 2018, 11:50 am   #8
stuie319
Pentode

Hi,

You'll probably find the offending capacitor is on the CRT base.

In the later Hitachi chassis it was C715, a 4.7uF device which needs to be rated at about 250V, I'd expect it to be similar, if not the same in this set.

Love that remote!

Stu
Old 9th Dec 2018, 12:11 pm   #9
barrymagrec
Octode

Yes, I had a similar problem on an HP XY monitor once, the vector would start off at the correct intensity but just fade out over it`s length, whatever direction it was going in.

Little electrolytic cap on the tube base.
Old 9th Dec 2018, 4:37 pm   #10
19Seventy7
Octode

By sounds of it, it is definitely a capacitor, then! I'll have a look if I get it (I've put interest into it)

I agree about the remote too. I love how basic they are too.

Fingers crossed I get it!

Edit: If I do get it, and need help, is it okay to ask on this thread again?

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 9th Dec 2018, 5:27 pm   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

That capacitor is normally near the loptx and decouples a diode that feeds RGB stages.

Post any further help needed and the cure to help others.
Old 9th Dec 2018, 5:27 pm   #12
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Not completely sure, but one model had an odd tubular metallic capacitor on the line output transistor's sub-panel which would do this. All the advice above is sound of course, but this might just be that chassis.
Old 9th Dec 2018, 5:45 pm   #13
McMurdo
Dekatron

Isn't that the model with 'instavision' which is a feature designed to shorten the life of the tube, with the serendipitous advantage of making it warm up faster?
Old 10th Dec 2018, 12:13 am   #14
19Seventy7
Octode

I have no idea what tube it has, but I won it, so I can tell you on Thursday, when I go to pick it up if you like, I might be able to see what tube it has and tell you.
Old 10th Dec 2018, 12:41 am   #15
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I can't quite see what the three buttons on the remote do.
Perhaps channel up, channel down and off.

At least one set I remember did not allow for switching on again, the off button operated a solenoid that unlatched the power switch in the set, and if you were lucky, the plastic button would be ballistically propelled across the room.
Old 10th Dec 2018, 1:26 am   #16
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
Isn't that the model with 'instavision' which is a feature designed to shorten the life of the tube, with the serendipitous advantage of making it warm up faster?
It’s probably got the same feature as the 2 CFP-470’s that I have, they have a switch on the side to keep the heaters lit all the time, and another power switch coupled with the volume which is really just standby. The Instavision came a bit later, I also have one of those! It just has a really fast heating tube, although I did read somewhere about them possibly being directly heated cathodes, which were short lived. The 2 CFP-470’s have got knackered tubes, probably from living on standby! Other than that they haven’t had any replacement parts! They look like they could do with a service now though, frame linearity is suffering on one and the convergence is a bit of a mess on the other. They have 14” delta CRT’s.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 10th Dec 2018, 11:25 am   #17
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
I have no idea what tube it has, but I won it, so I can tell you on Thursday, when I go to pick it up if you like, I might be able to see what tube it has and tell you.
Well done- hope you got it for a good price! I had an early Hitachi slightly older than this one, many years ago. In standby, it left the tube heaters running at reduced power. Whilst not good practice, it hadn't done the tube any harm. Amazingly well designed set- nothing like the British stuff I was used to!

When you get it, post some internal pictures and the model number. Someone will be able to come up with a circuit diagram (not a schematic-arrgh) and then we can do some fault finding!

Lloyd- I always found delta tubes rejuvinated really well- they seem to have massive cathodes compared with later PIL types. Have you tried doing yours?

all the best
Nick
Old 10th Dec 2018, 1:43 pm   #18
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I did give one of them a quick go with the B&K, and it did come up a bit brighter, I only used the clean and balance option rather than nuke it with rejuvenate! I should try the other one now I have a new B&K, the old one developed a fault which made the whole front panel live... guess how I discovered that!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 10th Dec 2018, 1:47 pm   #19
kingbeau
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
I can't quite see what the three buttons on the remote do.
Perhaps channel up, channel down and off.

At least one set I remember did not allow for switching on again, the off button operated a solenoid that unlatched the power switch in the set, and if you were lucky, the plastic button would be ballistically propelled across the room.
I remember a Baird branded set which did this with the power. The other two buttons - one was a volume control which when pressed would set it to roughly half of the current volume setting, pressing it again would restore it to whatever level was set on the pot. The other button was a channel cycle button which would advance it one channel at a time. Not much need for a channel down button when it only had 6 channels
I also remember these sets would change channel if you jingled a set of keys in front of it, and one engineer told me that if you pointed these remotes at budgies they'd go crazy and start squawking!
Old 10th Dec 2018, 2:38 pm   #20
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
the off button operated a solenoid that unlatched the power switch in the set
That sounds like the best set ever made which would be the infamous Fidelity AVS2000 or its smaller 1600 brother

If INH sees one of these he'll definitely want one and members will be chafing at the bit to help him fix it - especially John

Last edited by Techman; 10th Dec 2018 at 2:43 pm.
Closed Thread