UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2018, 7:31 pm   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Odd wording breakdown announcement.

This was broadcast for around 5 mins during a Talking Pictures broadcast a few days ago.
A far cry from 'We are sorry for the breakdown. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.'

I have visions of Al Capone type heavies' bursting into the studio and pulling out all the jack plugs! John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakdown board..jpg
Views:	361
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	168738  
Old 4th Sep 2018, 7:58 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Odd wording breakdown announcement.

Was this the reason?
https://www.a516digital.com/2018/07/...air-after.html

I like the Al Copone thoughts.
Old 4th Sep 2018, 10:26 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

That could have been one of those short power cuts that only lasts half a second.
Getting back on air in the digital age involves that long and frustrating count down just like the one you have to put up with before you can play a CD.
We had the same problem at the supermarket.
This took a little longer as part of the restart involved a number of distressed managers who had to appear and crank the check outs back into action with physical starting handles. Just as the first couple of tills restarted there was another short power cut and they has to do it all over again.
Another store across the road closed for an hour or so to fix it.
Old 4th Sep 2018, 11:57 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
We had the same problem at the supermarket.
This took a little longer as part of the restart involved a number of distressed managers who had to appear and crank the check outs back into action with physical starting handles. Just as the first couple of tills restarted there was another short power cut and they has to do it all over again.
Another store across the road closed for an hour or so to fix it.
Are you winding us ups? (joke)

I can remember during the "Winter of Discontent" our Sweda tills in the Granada showrooms could be hand-cranked by the manageress in a power cut.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 12:19 am   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

They are modern things and the handle was more like a "T" bar about 5 inches across that had to be stuck in down by where the operators feet usually go. The managers handed the things to the supervisors and watched as they were shoved in to initiate a full cold boot of the terminals.
A long count down with a progress bar followed.
The UPS on Sweda tills did indeed consist of a handle.
In modern supermarkets the UPS is neigh due to austerity.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 4:10 am   #6
Dai Corner
Hexode

Interesting stuff. I'd love to see a supermarket reboot!

At my last workplace the electricity distributor managed to send us a vastly out of spec waveform which took out a selection of IT equipment one night. The buildings manager was the first to know as it also set off the intruder alarm and he went on site to investigate.

As the IT manager he invited me to go and inspect the damage but I had to decline as, unknown to him, I had just had undergone emergency heart surgery. The nurse refused to let me unplug myself from the monitoring equipment and book a taxi. My able young assistant had a baptism of fire over the next few days but managed to restore service.

I'd asked for money to fit UPSs to the most vital/expensive kit but was refused ("I'd rather we got some of those new iPad things"). I, and the Management, wish I'd been much more insistent.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 9:35 am   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

Distressed manager therapy was the order of the day. It happened just before the last item in our basket was to be beeped
It was like a sort of tonic watching all those distressed managers come out of there office and run around.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 10:20 am   #8
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Where's the potters wheel or kittens playing?

Peter
Old 5th Sep 2018, 10:28 am   #9
Refugee
Dekatron

The alternative entertainment was provided by all the shoppers extracting there reusable bags and dumping there baskets
Old 5th Sep 2018, 10:35 am   #10

Quote:
I'd love to see a supermarket reboot!
I have been on a train that had to reboot, GWR Electrostar btw.

Back on topic, Talking pictures where the first back on air so says the bulletin. Good on 'em.

Closed Thread